Cohiba Siglo I (Feb 2001) ; Ode to the 40 and 42 gauge review week

Though many brothers among us cherish the Cohiba marca, particularly the Siglo line, I have not met with success in the Cohiba line except for the Esplendidos. I have tried repeatedly to find something to like about Cohibas, but to no avail. This time around I picked up a little nugget that has been resting in my humidor for about a year since I received it in trade from a good BOTL. He continues to convey that he loves them, and that one day it will strike me like lightning, but I'm still waiting for the epiphany. 

The Siglo I is a perla, just 102mm - 4 inches in length by 42 gauge. This one is practically flawless and looks like milk chocolate. After cutting and lighting draw is near perfect, construction couldn't be better. I pair this selection with coconut water mixed with carbonated water, a neutral drink so it won't varnish my taste of the cigar, and it is rather refreshing and natural.

First warm draws produced moderate smoke, with the  initial aroma being somewhat herbal, a bit grassy. Flavor was earthy and rich, while the finish was dry. Within the first inch body started to pick up to a moderate medium, and flavor was distinctly grassy with a dried oregano aftertaste. The first half was virtually unchanged, and with every draw it left my tongue feeling dry. After each drag I felt I needed to rinse my mouth with my coconut water. 

The second half picked up a bit of body, and the aroma gave me a sense of rich toasted tobacco and dry meadow grass. The flavor continued to resemble golden hay, not a pleasing profile to my taste buds. I could sense rich earthy tobacco in the background, but I just couldn't get over the sensation of dryness on the tongue with every draw I took. I was downing the coconut water quickly, and I topped it up with more soda water. Approaching the end I got some nuances of coffee and charred wood, but my tongue felt dry and ashy throughout. I don't know how this can be a satisfying cigar for anyone, but it does have a following - so I'm in the minority I suspect.

I ended the dramatic experience early, putting about an inch and half into the ashtray and setting it at the far end of the table. I glanced at it a couple of times with grimace, wondering whether my taste buds are betraying me, or if this was simply a poor example. But immediately I recalled similar unpleasant experiences with other Cohibas, so maybe my mind is bending my taste buds, or this brand of cigars is just not for me. Sadly, I give this a 5 out of 10 on my personal scale - I don't look forward to another. My sincere thanks to Dirk for the vitola - sorry to let you down brother, but I'm calling this another Cohiba strikeout in my humidor. 

4f30efcbe5ddd6872960cefae8185788.jpg

• Like 3

Guest Nekhyludov

Always nice to hear a dissenting opinion. Much appreciated @Philc2001!

Is coconut and soda water a pairing that you've used frequently? I'm always on the lookout for beverages that will improve a smoke, but won't interfere with the flavors. 

• 5 months later...
On 5/20/2017 at 3:51 PM, Nekhyludov said:

Always nice to hear a dissenting opinion. Much appreciated @Philc2001!

Is coconut and soda water a pairing that you've used frequently? I'm always on the lookout for beverages that will improve a smoke, but won't interfere with the flavors. 

I won't say I drink this regularly, but it is my preferred concoction when I want to avoid alcohol. When I have fresh coconuts from my three 25ft trees out back I use fresh coconut water instead of the store bought. I consistently keep a supply on hand in the fridge. It's a good libation for cigar smoking, it is light flavored and refreshing. 

• 2 months later...

Interesting. Thanks for the review.

I had one of these from 2016 in my local lounge recently. It was after a Padron Anniversary edition. I hadn't had a Siglo for many years. I recalled the last memories of Siglos weren't drawing me back.

I've a few Robustos and VI's in the humidor from this marca. And blind into a box of Talisman.

But back to the point. The little Siglo I was very very good! Immediately tempting me into a box! But I'll grab a couple more first.

I can't talk about specific flavours like some are able to with cigars. But smooth, almost creamy and very nice flavor profile for my palette! I expect differences per year. So 15 years who can say. But my experience of older Siglo I, also not great. But this one was very good indeed. I remember saying it was a great dessert after a not so impressive good quality main meal. And we all love a great dessert right? ;)

Thanks again.

B.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

• Like 1