Juan Lopez Petit Coronas: probably dead

It appears that the JLPC has been removed from the HSA online catalog. These having not been seen with box codes later than 2014, I think this one's cooked. Interestingly, the Christoph Wolters blog from 2013 did list the JLPC as scheduled for deletion, however almost all the cigars on his list were ultimately not deleted with the exception of the QdO Imperiales, Cuaba Generosos and Diademas.

5 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

It appears that the JLPC has been removed from the HSA online catalog. These having not been seen with box codes later than 2014, I think this one's cooked. Interestingly, the Christoph Wolters blog from 2013 did list the JLPC as scheduled for deletion, however almost all the cigars on his list were ultimately not deleted with the exception of the QdO Imperiales.

They were readily available until recently. Again, I have seen nothing post 2014 codes. 

If it takes three years to existing stocks of cigars, it is one that should be moved to three yearly production (as opposed to discontinuation). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, El Presidente said:

They were readily available until recently. Again, I have seen nothing post 2014 codes. 

If it takes three years to existing stocks of cigars, it is one that should be moved to three yearly production (as opposed to discontinuation). 

I think you mean "If it takes three years to clear existing stocks of cigars" they should move to a longer production schedule and of course you are right.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I think you mean "If it takes three years to clear existing stocks of cigars" they should move to a longer production schedule and of course you are right.

Spot on. 

There are plenty of others that would benefit from such a rollout strategy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Spot on. 

There are plenty of others that would benefit from such a rollout strategy. 

It seems so damn obvious that you have to think there's a specific person installed somewhere who is blocking the idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

Couldn't agree more as I've always maintained that there's no need to cut most cigars. Is it really draining much in terms of resources to simply produce a cigar on a limited basis? If HSA keeps cranking out half a dozen oddball vitolas for their special releases every year, I can't see how simply limiting production of slow-selling cigars can be that prohibitive. Every cigar has a fan, as there are fans of marcas and fans of vitolas and every marca should be well represented. How many people never buy a marca like Diplomaticos that would if there was a Marevas or Coronas in the lineup? I know I might, as a Marevas or Hermosos No. 4 would be much more likely to attract me than a Piramide.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Couldn't agree more as I've always maintained that there's no need to cut most cigars. Is it really draining much in terms of resources to simply produce a cigar on a limited basis? If HSA keeps cranking out half a dozen oddball vitolas for their special releases every year, I can't see how simply limiting production of slow-selling cigars can be that prohibitive. Every cigar has a fan, as there are fans of marcas and fans of vitolas and every marca should be well represented. How many people never buy a marca like Diplomaticos that would if there was a Marevas or Coronas in the lineup? I know I might, as a Marevas or Hermosos No. 4 would be much more likely to attract me than a Piramide.

Well, going by recent trends, they are not going to produce low volume / low value smokes every 3 years when they can make low volume / high value smokes with a second band on them instead.

• Like 3

"Well, going by recent trends, they are not going to produce low volume / low value smokes every 3 years when they can make low volume / high value smokes with a second band on them instead "

Amen.:ok:

• Like 1

The frustrating part to me is you have Montecristo with 20 (23 including the new Linea 1935) vitolas that does not have any deletions in the last 20yrs, but other marcas are decimated for essentially laughs. (Laughing all the way to the bank I suppose.)

@Shaunster points out what must be the painful truth, why make JLPC every few years when you can crank out petit robustos and montescos every year for 3x, 4x and 5x the price?

4 hours ago, fabes said:

@Shaunster points out what must be the painful truth, why make JLPC every few years when you can crank out petit robustos and montescos every year for 3x, 4x and 5x the price?

Target marketing

Target market messaging

Brand building. 

They haven't deleted Petit Corona's.  Margins on a JLPC would be the same as a Monte 4, PLPC, R&J PC etal. 

Dip 4/JLPC and others in a 50,000 box run every three years (not released in the same year)  would  achieve sales, re-engage with a core market and provide market commentary/interest. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Target marketing

Target market messaging

Brand building. 

They haven't deleted Petit Corona's.  Margins on a JLPC would be the same as a Monte 4, PLPC, R&J PC etal. 

Dip 4/JLPC and others in a 50,000 box run every three years (not released in the same year)  would  achieve sales, re-engage with a core market and provide market commentary/interest. 

Exactly. I don't see how offering these niche cigars couldn't increase their bottom line unless they really do need the tobacco contained in a JLPC or HUPC for higher-margin special production, which I doubt. Either way, As I am not a fan of most special production and I also don't buy Dip 2s but might buy a Dip 4 or Dip 3, they are getting zero money from me and many others whereas if they made a Dip 3 they may very well get my money, and I don't believe I'm alone in thinking this. And as you point out there are all sorts of additional benefits to having a diverse model lineup.

I suppose the ultimate issue may be that if HSA sells every bit of tobacco they produce there is no need to allocate tobacco to anything other than higher-margin special production. But if that was true then they should be cutting all cigars under 46 RG and transitioning to new large RG models throughout all marcas, which they are not. Clearly they understand that there is a huge market for classic vitolas, so why permanently cut any of them when simply producing slow-sellers every 2-3 years would be no issue at all?

2 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Clearly they understand that there is a huge market for classic vitolas, so why permanently cut any of them when simply producing slow-sellers every 2-3 years would be no issue at all?

I try not to "assume" they have a clear and holistic strategy ;)

You have a JV.  In reality a three way JV.....London (Imperial), Spain (Altadis), Cuba 

They play their cards very close to their chest ....even among themselves. 

The Cuban side of the equation has formerly been more focused on retaining tradition. That may have changed as more and more of the old school execs have found the door (or been shown it). 

Going back to the mid 2000's I was made aware by parties involved of the battle at meetings to retain cigars put on the discussion list for discontinuation. The lists were whittled down until presented at the mid year distributor marketing meeting in Havana.  I have stopped following HSA politics for years. 

From an outsider looking in the current scarcity of their prime resource gives them little option than to chase ROI currently. There are listed companies involved and that is their brief.  

I doubt that upsetting a small % of their client base on discontinued low ROI cigars is even on their radar.  Producing Behike and Siglo VI in numbers certainly would be. 

Still, when there raw material stores come back into balance it wouldn't be out of the question to think that a reintroduction of some discontinued cigars would come back on the radar......just in a different supply manner.  It will likely be under a new CEO/VP who can sell the argument to the JV as in the best interests of the business. 

• Like 1