bolivar & monte cristo box issues

MrArlo

Hi Folks - Relative newbie here. Been reading the forum here and there throughout the years. Thanks for all the great content!

I was wondering what your thoughts were on a couple of boxes I recently picked up from a reputable online vendor. I have some concerns about the condition of the boxes that I received. Not sure if this is normal. In the past (other vendors), for all authentic Cuban cigar boxes that I have purchased, the condition of the box, seal and security features have been impeccable.

The boxes from this order have some questionable features. Please see the attached photos.

For the box of Bolivars, all the authentication features have been removed, so no way to verify authenticity. Also, the box is in horrible condition, with apparently broken seals.

For the box of Montecristos, the seals appears to have been tampered with (as if they were removed, box opened, then replaced). It seems very clear from the photos.

Again, I have never seen this in any of the authentic boxes of Cuban cigars that I have received in the past. All contain flat seals with all security features in tact.

I haven't opened the boxes yet. Wanted to touch base with the folks on this forum and vendor before doing so.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mr. Arlo

Bolivar Coronas Junior

bolivar1.thumb.JPG.47fb1e561ace9c2d180232948f739e90.JPG

bolivar2.thumb.JPG.7bc4f718469a9a613dd3d31991335bf5.JPG

bolivar3.thumb.JPG.2c035f5f40dd7600f596055ec1fbf7fa.JPG

bolivar4.thumb.JPG.5f026935886921f1f009a7f5e73c2121.JPG

Montecristo No. 5

montecristo1.thumb.JPG.d996a9a97cb137fed04eb570c9f6c11f.JPG

montecristo2.thumb.JPG.8e6c291a48fc7494ec6e8d7667c1047e.JPG

montecristo3.thumb.JPG.5d9806e4e0ab950b9a21ab2ae0eba5da.JPG

Did you check the serial number on the habanos website?

No way to tell from here, even if you showed us the cigars. I think smoking one would be your best option.

Besides, you said reputable online vendor, no? So I don't think there's going to be a problem, since you mentioned reputable....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did. At least for the box that had them. They check out. But I suppose my point is that I haven't seen such unclean packaging (sloppy warranty seal placement) before. I wonder if the seals were tampered with, box opened, cigars replaced. The other box had the serial numbers removed.

Reputable vendor or not, it's possible that this can happen.

I suppose my question is have other folks experienced this? Is it common?

Many thanks for the insight wolfain!

The removal and replacement of the labels seem odd, but I can tell that the other site I order CC's from does open the box and inspect prior to shipping.

They use a razor blade though, and until you go to open the box, you would never know the seals had been tampered with.

Some 'grey market' vendors remove barcodes, from any other source it would be uncommon. Apart from that, sloppy seal placement, messy boxes is really quite common. FWIW I have never received a sealed box of cigars.

4 hours ago, MrArlo said:

I suppose my question is have other folks experienced this? Is it common?

I’ve experienced the exact same, with a reputable vendor whose name I see mentioned quite often. I found it very odd at first, as I would request (per instructions) “sealed boxes”.

I quickly realized the futility of such a request, as my often worn boxes would clearly have the Habanos seal broken into, but they’d be sporting an intact, often loosely placed box seal. A damn miracle of physics. The way a “sealed box” is presented is almost an insult to my intelligence.

I’ve come to realize the authenticity of product from this vendor is not in question, which puzzles me even more to see these practices. 

HI All - Many thanks for the responses!

So it seems this is somewhat common. Both you and the vendor attest to this. Still baffling to me that it can be this sloppy.

Here's what I see when I opened the Bolivars:

IMG_4728.thumb.JPG.22e9f27387da68c4ef5691ff6aa82656.JPG

Is this common?? Two cigars without bands..?

2 hours ago, MrArlo said:

HI All - Many thanks for the responses!

So it seems this is somewhat common. Both you and the vendor attest to this. Still baffling to me that it can be this sloppy.

Here's what I see when I opened the Bolivars:

IMG_4728.thumb.JPG.22e9f27387da68c4ef5691ff6aa82656.JPG

Is this common?? Two cigars without bands..?

Yes. El Pres has posted on the forum about finding this very thing in the warehouse from time to time. 

I’ve experienced the exact same, with a reputable vendor whose name I see mentioned quite often. I found it very odd at first, as I would request (per instructions) “sealed boxes”.

I quickly realized the futility of such a request, as my often worn boxes would clearly have the Habanos seal broken into, but they’d be sporting an intact, often loosely placed box seal. A damn miracle of physics. The way a “sealed box” is presented is almost an insult to my intelligence.

I’ve come to realize the authenticity of product from this vendor is not in question, which puzzles me even more to see these practices. 

Exact same thing happened to me as well, having requested for a 'sealed' box for the first time. Been buying from said vendor for years. So, not being able to get an actually sealed box really puzzles me.

I really wonder why this is the case. Official reason? Their supplier does last minute checks.
Stogies smoke well however....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk