Because I like beating a dead horse

Hey everyone,

My birthday is coming up and my girlfriend decided to buy me this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KO90H6Y/ref=gwm_tlc_pi?pf_rd_p=62af779f-88df-4dd0-be50-91c6a4b9661a&pf_rd_s=grid-6&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=TJB9A2AA1A8NS9Q761ZC&pf_rd_r=TJB9A2AA1A8NS9Q761ZC&pf_rd_p=62af779f-88df-4dd0-be50-91c6a4b9661a

Does anyone here have experience with this particular set up? If so I'd appreciate any insight. I've been reading countless threads on forums and there's quit the variety of set up options. Just curious what to expect. I'm leaning toward HF beads with bovedas mixed in. Anything else you'd suggest adding, modifying, etc.

thank you,

-Jayme

Don't expect perfection. Set the temp to 66*, skip the HF beads, and use several large Bovedas at 62% rH if you're primarily storing CC or 65% if you're primarily storing NC. I'd also suggest investing in a couple electronic hydrometers to monitor different areas of the humidor for large variances in temp and rH. Adding fans that run 24/7 would help to balance out the temp and rH.

Once it's somewhat stable, add cigars, acclimatize, smoke, and decide if you're happy with the results. Best of luck and keep us posted.

• Like 1

Totally agree on the Bovida packs. The best thing to come along for cigars in quite a while 

• Like 3

@PamunkeyHub, thanks for the fast response!  That was one big question I had, whether I could use only Bovedas or not. I use them in my desk tops now.  

And I have digital hygrometers so no issue there, planned on one top, middle, and bottom. When you say fans do you recommend computer fans or some small battery ones?

I have the smaller version, as well as a larger U-Line wine cooler I’ve converted to a humidor (pretty much by simply calling it a humidor). But....I’ve unplugged both and just keep them in a constantly air conditioned room. Plugged in, the condensation generated wreaked havoc with RH and drove me nuts. I like set it and forget it stuff. I use Boveda packs and both boxes seal excellently and work perfect for me like this. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jbhunter223 said:

@PamunkeyHub, thanks for the fast response!  That was one big question I had, whether I could use only Bovedas or not. I use them in my desk tops now.  

And I have digital hygrometers so no issue there, planned on one top, middle, and bottom. When you say fans do you recommend computer fans or some small battery ones?

Bovedas just work. 

Any fan would help, but a computer fan(s) might be easier in the long run w/o battery changes to deal with and most likely more size and speed options.

Like @Islandboy said, the cooling unit will throw your rH way off during every cycle and will most likely lead to condensation (dripping, pooling, etc.) issues at some point. There really isn't a simple/cheap fix for this. 

• Like 1

Hate to be pedantic but when was 'flogging a dead horse" changed to "beating a dead horse"? I don't think I was invited to the meeting.?

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PamunkeyHub said:

Like @Islandboy said, the cooling unit will throw your rH way off during every cycle and will most likely lead to condensation (dripping, pooling, etc.) issues at some point. There really isn't a simple/cheap fix for this. 

This is what I've been doing the most reading on. Temps in my house aren't too bad. Just in the summer they get high upstairs where this will likely go. 

Thanks for all the input everyone. I've read every post from piggy I could find but usually end up having way more questions than answers (a little too technical for me) but great info none the less. 

1 minute ago, Akela3rd said:

Hate to be pedantic but when was 'flogging a dead horse" changed to "beating a dead horse"? I don't think I was invited to the meeting.?

It's something my grandpa always said so I went with it. Haha.  It's likely he (and I) have been saying it wrong this whole time. 

• Like 1

73dda03299e82e13fbccaf1663eabf25.jpg

This is my Whynter setup and I have been really happy with it. Some tips I've picked up along the way:

Get an extra fan in there. If you pack your's full of boxes like me, the ones in there won't be enough. I use a Camco fridge aerator. It's battery powered, so no cables (batteries need to be changed about once a month) and moves a good bit of air keeping everything stable.

Use the boveda 320 gram pack. They last forever. I use a 65rh in the winter, and I found I don't need any humidification in the summer.

Get a few hygrometers in there to make sure everything is even throughout.

My target settings are 65/65 and I am able to stay within +/- 1 of that.

It took a while for me to get to this point through research and trial and error. Hopefully this will save you some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@Dmpotocek  this helps a lot. As did everyone else's responses. Thank you. I'll look into the fan, would like to go the computer fan route but maybe ill get the battery fan for the time being. And you leave yours plugged in? And you have no humidification source in the summer?

thanks

-Jayme 

@Dmpotocek  this helps a lot. As did everyone else's responses. Thank you. I'll look into the fan, would like to go the computer fan route but maybe ill get the battery fan for the time being. And you leave yours plugged in? And you have no humidification source in the summer?

thanks

-Jayme 

I keep it plugged in, and no humidification in the summer. It's pretty painless to maintain.

• Like 1

I have that same unit and have posted a review on Amazon (P. Kukiel); gave it 4 stars as I have not had it long enough to vouch for its reliability.  I've been happy with it so far. :D

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Arctic Dude said:

I have that same unit and have posted a review on Amazon (P. Kukiel); gave it 4 stars as I have not had it long enough to vouch for its reliability.  I've been happy with it so far. :D

Good to hear! I looknfor your review. 

40 minutes ago, Dmpotocek said:

I keep it plugged in, and no humidification in the summer. It's pretty painless to maintain.

Great. I'll give this a shot. I like painless!

2 hours ago, Arctic Dude said:

What are you using for humidification? And have you added additional fans?

12 hours ago, Akela3rd said:

Around the time the horse was "chomping" at the bit, and was given "free reign". 

• Like 2

On 2017-5-23 at 7:27 PM, Akela3rd said:

Have you been getting lighter? ?

• Like 1

Have you been getting lighter?

Not since 2015 obviously

• Like 1