Easy to Clean Spice Grinder

Spanishcedar

I have a blend of herbs & spices that I like to keep in a hand held grinder until I'm ready to cook with it. It seems about two or three times a year, the herbs clog up in the grooves of the ceramic grinding cones. The problem is that most of the grinders I have gone through are not made to be taken apart and cleaned... while it is possible, eventually the little plastic pieces that take the screws, stop holding the screws after about four cleanings or so.

I'm looking for something of high quality or at least easy to take apart and clean, even something that was made to be taken apart and cleaned, if such a grinder exists!

Does anyone have any experience with such a top notch "maintainable" hand held grinder that they could recommend or am I looking for a unicorn?

@scap99 Thanks for the reply, that would be a good alternative. But you are correct, I am looking for a pepper grinder (probably should have called it that instead of a spice grinder) that is easy to take apart and clean. There's something nice about hand grinding only what I need at the moment and then being able to add a little more real quick if needed.

I will definitely consider that if I can get the grounds small enough, thanks again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scap99 said:

No, I haven't; but, I'm gonna go by the local W&S to look at that (if they have it stores) take it all apart and see how it works out.

Thanks Scap99!

• Like 1

When you're done grinding, just wipe out the rice flour with a moist paper towel. Used to do it with an old coffee grinder, back in the days when I used a percolator.

If you really are picky, use an air duster or small compressor to blow out any remaining dust.

• 8 months later...

I use one of these and clean it by grinding a handful of white rice. Cheap and durable.

krups.jpg.4cace00281130e9a6e61c005525f49b6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/05/2017 at 9:50 PM, Spanishcedar said:

I have a blend of herbs & spices that I like to keep in a hand held grinder until I'm ready to cook with it. It seems about two or three times a year, the herbs clog up in the grooves of the ceramic grinding cones. The problem is that most of the grinders I have gone through are not made to be taken apart and cleaned... while it is possible, eventually the little plastic pieces that take the screws, stop holding the screws after about four cleanings or so.

I'm looking for something of high quality or at least easy to take apart and clean, even something that was made to be taken apart and cleaned, if such a grinder exists!

Does anyone have any experience with such a top notch "maintainable" hand held grinder that they could recommend or am I looking for a unicorn?

Just bought this a couple of weeks ago, and its very good

• Thanks 1

Although it has been years since I bought a pepper grinder, the ones I have used would come apart pretty easily.  The nut on top the lid was the only thing holding the inner bur in place.  Removing that, to fill up the grinder, would free the bur to allow it to slide out the bottom. 

Also, never seen one with ceramic burs; always with stainless steel ones.

Have they changed design? 

Why would you keep them sitting in the grinder?  They lose flavor as soon as you grind them...  I would suggest grinding what you need and then transferring to a small air-tight jar.  I run into the same issues with electronic grinders that they are not long haul items.  I just go to Home Goods or similar stores and buy a blade grinder whenever I see them for cheap and choke the cost up as "part of doing business".  Grinders are like under $20 and who cares if once a year or two it craps out...  I'll also use my Vitamix to grind spices, but it needs a bigger minimal amount and can stain.  I don't care about the stains much, but my wife complains...