What to do when Gutted

As the Pres says, take time to reflect.  I work in a similar kind of role where I develop proposals for major investments.  At times it just goes tits up and there is nothing you can do.  

Enjoy the break and reinvigorate yourself.  The next success will taste sooooo much sweeter.

• Like 2

+ 1 great you prescribe a great remedy for most any ailment! Wishing you all the best going forward

• Like 3

Thanks mates.  Kind and wise words all. I know the window will open soon - even if the door is closed.  It always does - even if you have to look elsewhere to find it :)

In the meantime, I've picked an even special-er bottle of whisky.  No better time than now! 

Brora.thumb.jpg.37a08e5e088cdb227cd63d763f8c3c3e.jpg

• Like 3

Know how you feel, mate. Worked on 4 small projects at the same time, only for all of them to get the chop due to "budget constraints". You may be feeling like you just pissed away 10 months of your life, but think of it as hard earned experience. Clear your head, relax, recharge and then walk back in looking for the next big challenge.

• Like 3

I have owed you a PM as you know...

You know mate, I remember the last time you were down. Then as now you shared it with your mates here. I remember we talked. It all worked out.

These trips down a dark alley sometimes will earth you, and take the spark out of your step. Don't sweat it my friend. Don't let this dent you armor. There is no need. You are a well trained and talented pro... You know it, I know it, and your superiors (for lack of a better term) know it. There is always a good spot for great people.

You my friend, YOU are great people!

People all over the globe who know you love you. Have a few belts a few cigars, tomorrow is a new day! As always, thanks for your service in the pursuit of protecting free people.

-Ray

• Like 1

Chris,

Damn, I'm sorry bro. As cliche as it sounds, I've usually found that everything happens for a reason. It doesn't ever seem like it when you're in the middle of it, but everything works itself out in the end. 

The great news is now you can focus on your upcoming trip to Seattle and maybe you'll be able to smoke more great cigars and spend more time with your wife and friends.

Something better is just around the corner for you Chris.

• Like 2

Really sorry to hear this, it's awful to see hard work go to waste. Enjoy the whisky and cigar today, they look fantastic, and take pride in knowing that you worked hard. There is always a good opportunity just waiting around the corner and it's great to be able to spend time with the family.

• Like 1

Keep all your information you may have a similar project in the future move on and enjoy the moments with your family . Everything happens for a reason

• Like 3

So sorry to read this post Chris, especially having smoked with you and met you a couple of times. You will enjoy your wonderful cigars and scotch I know, and your friends and family this great summer.

Success in the future soon!

Lisa

• Like 1

Damn.  Sorry to hear that Chris. :(  I was really looking forward to your deep sea, solar powered submarine design! :P  Oh oh.."loose lips". :D At least you've chosen to find a good way to console yourself in the short term and a good plan on how to spend your summer.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words everyone.  The cigars and whisky last night were well-needed (first cigars in a week, even with great weather all week), and I'm already looking forward for new challenges and projects. 

For those who have 'em - the Ramon Allones 225's are magnificent, don't sit on them for years waiting for a masterpiece.  They are at that level now.  Perfect cigar experience. 

• Like 2

Chris, sorry to read how the events unfolded. You have given them a lot of your time, now enjoy the time you have for yourself. Who know when the next project or something else comes around and dominates the time you have. Enjoy your scotch, your cigars but most importantly your family and friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ChanceSchmerr said:

For those who have 'em - the Ramon Allones 225's are magnificent, don't sit on them for years waiting for a masterpiece.  They are at that level now.  Perfect cigar experience. 

Interesting. Will have to dig into the humidor and try it again. The first time I had one, I was less than impressed.

• 2 weeks later...
Late this week (on Friday afternoon), it was confirmed.  The Project I'd been working on the last 10 months, what had basically been my life at work for almost a year, has been cancelled, through no fault of my own.

Aside from my brief sojourn to Cuba in November, I feel like I've barely talked to friends and family alike these last ten months.  I can't even remember the last time I sent a note to Guy, visited with my cousins or Aunt&Uncle who moved back to town last year, chatted with my brother-in-law, and hell, it takes me weeks just to reply to a regular email from Rob or Keith.  This project had held my year hostage, and while I had gotten a short trip to the Pacific early this year to prepare for it (without much time to enjoy myself), it had held the promise of over a month overseas this summer, with high-profile engagement and visibility, and a chance to really shine in my career - while at the same time allowing me and hopefully my wife to enjoy some time in an overseas spot, not to mention some much-needed extra dineros in my pocket.

All shot to hell.  Nothing I can do (or could have done)......but I'm gutted in the extreme.  The one silver lining (and it's a shiny one to be sure) is that I now have the entire summer to spend with my lovely wife (well, when I'm not at work, anyway), and even if we can't really afford to go anywhere this summer as a result, time spent with her is priceless to me, especially because I feel like I really haven't had too much of it since this project started.

Nonetheless, I'm still incredibly disappointed.  What an opportunity this was, stolen away from me.  

Only one thing left to do.

592b78cd79402_KissingaSmoker.thumb.jpg.25c2b91fd8597bb5a275e18c1823a91e.jpg

Crack open a rare whisky.
Light up a special cigar.
Kick back on the deck.
Sigh heavily to myself.
Express the word "F*ck" slowly, pensively.

And move on with life. Onwards and upwards.

You know what? It's a brilliant cigar. It's a complex, fantastic whisky (though powerful at 65% abv!) And my wife's smile still lights up my heart like nothing else.
Sometimes, things aren't so bad as they seem.....

Take care, my friends! 

That's happened to me a couple of times. I've learned to not get emotionally involved. They pay me to design things and write software. I don't care anymore if they actually us it, as long as it's a fun project and I'm learning and getting paid. But I do understand the frustration you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dude I know exactly how I feel. Back in 2013 after 28 years I was forced to walk away from a very lucrative position with an aerospace company. Due to health reasons I had to take an extended leave of absence.  That is a nice way of saying that you are being replaced by a younger college kid that could be hired for a fraction of the money. I could have come back to work but all my old accounts had been divided among the remaining and newly hired employees. It seems that when you hit 60 and you are making a lot of money, you are easily replaced. After a meeting with myself I decided to freelance and have a go of it on my own. Also spending more time managing my personal portfolio to maximize the return. You know, things have a way of working themselves out. Now I am making more money than ever. I get out of bed when I feel like it and I answer to nobody. It was a tough few years but I am happier than I have ever been. more time to enjoy with my family and I can light up my favorite cigar whenever I feel like it. My schedule is my own. Hang in there. It seems bad now but things will work out for the best  you can't  keep a good man down ??

• Like 4

Hang in there Chris! I sure enjoyed discussing Scotch in Habana with you in November! (And you're making me jealous with your scotch pics!) This too shall pass!

• Like 1