Still finding my feet-Cohiba Siglo line

Hi

Would some kind members like to take the time to enlighten me about the differences in flavours between Siglo I-VI ? Also how do they compare to the Lanceros?

I'd really appreciate it as I'd like to get some to try but don't know where to start. And el Prez say they are smoking well just now.

Thanks 

:)

1 hour ago, FatPete said:

Hi

Would some kind members like to take the time to enlighten me about the differences in flavours between Siglo I-VI ? Also how do they compare to the Lanceros?

I'd really appreciate it as I'd like to get some to try but don't know where to start. And el Prez say they are smoking well just now.

Thanks 

I’m all ears on this as well. I have yet to try my first Siglo, but I did recently get a box of III’s, and 8 tubos of VI’s, both of which are acclimating nicely. Should have one of each under my belt soon.

1 hour ago, BuzzArd said:

I was wondering if a Siglo Sampler could be put together.   For a while those Cohiba were scarce.   Maybe enough available now for a 1-6 six count sampler?   You could always order them as singles too...

That's a great idea !

How about it Prez?

Great post @JohnS I've actually stayed away from the sig line as I didn't enjoy em young. Not a fan of the grassy taste.

being a hypocrite tho, did recently purchase the sig I. Pleasantly surprised at the 2016s seem to have more complexity and other flavors prevalent I do like.  Only had 1 thus far, and was so under filled you could almost smash it flat and the burn was garbage.  Hoping for better results on cigar no 2 from the box. 

• Like 2

I've only have I, II, and VI.

Siglo I to me are super rich brioche, toasted bread honey type flavor.

Siglo II are a bit more coffee, grass, almond, honey. More complex but less rich and the coffee gives it a bit more bite.

Siglo VI are really complex with a lot of that same grass, bread, honey, coffee, vanilla, cocoa but many more transitions than the smaller sticks.

Just my taste though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RijkdeGooier said:

Personally, I prefer the classica over the siglo's for reasons mentioned by @NSXCIGAR and @JohnS assesment is spot on. 

I might add that the Robusto I smoked from the early 90's was one of the best cigars I've ever had. Followed by the 2003 Pyramids from the Seleccion Especial. 

Pyramid! Now that is a cigar that blew my mind! Smoked one the night my first daughter was born. I'll have to track some of those down soon. 

14 hours ago, JohnS said:

The main characteristic of the Siglo line (Linea 1492) is the quintessential Cohiba grass/hay element that many aficionados have alluded to over the years. The Classic Line (Clasica Linea), which includes the Lancero, differs in emphasising a light coffee/mocha core flavour instead, in my opinion.

Furthermore, when aged (I'm talking over 5 years as a minimum) the Siglo line develops a creamy texture whereas the Classic Line cigars go 'buttery'.

The Siglo VI stands on its own within the Siglo Line, in my opinion, because its blend is a mix of the grass/hay of the Siglo Line and the light coffee/mocha of the Classic Line and when aged I find the Siglo VI tends to evolve with more of a buttery texture rather than the creamy texture of the rest of the Siglo series.

Finally, with the Siglo line, the smaller the vitola, the more intense the flavours and stronger in body, but this is generally true of many minutos and perlas.

These are just my own thoughts on the similarities and differences within the Cohiba marca, don't take them as 'gospel', so to speak. The best way is always to develop your own views based on your palate.

I may have to revisit the Siglo VI after writing it off as a waste of money.  I've had about 15 of them, but none with more than 3 years on them, and I never thought the experience justified the price tag.  There are expensive cigars that I will gladly pay 350-500 a box for, but the Siglo VI was not one of them.  Perhaps I should try for a ten count box and forget about them in my cabinet for 10 years and give it another go. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, FatPete said:

Hi

Thanks 

Give them a second chance that's what I had to do five years of age was great

22 minutes ago, dominattorney said:

I may have to revisit the Siglo VI after writing it off as a waste of money.  I've had about 15 of them, but none with more than 3 years on them, and I never thought the experience justified the price tag.  There are expensive cigars that I will gladly pay 350-500 a box for, but the Siglo VI was not one of them.  Perhaps I should try for a ten count box and forget about them in my cabinet for 10 years and give it another go. 

I have found 5 years to be the minimum but thats for 2010 and older stock. Any thing less is infanticide. Young Siglos, as John notes, don't have the finesse that aged ones do and frankly, there are better young cigars that don't come with the high price. Vitolas might be hard to match exactly, but that said, right now a 2015 Punch Punch will suit me better than the same vintage Siglo IV.  Young Edmundos beat young VIs, but the Siglo VI with time is a thing of beauty. Even if it is too thick.

My ,02$

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, joeypots said:

I have found 5 years to be the minimum but thats for 2010 and older stock. Any thing less is infanticide. Young Siglos, as John notes, don't have the finesse that aged ones do and frankly, there are better young cigars that don't come with the high price. Vitolas might be hard to match exactly, but that said, right now a 2015 Punch Punch will suit me better than the same vintage Siglo IV.  Young Edmundos beat young VIs, but the Siglo VI with time is a thing of beauty. Even if it is too thick.

My ,02$

I have been enjoying the siglo 3 with less than 3 years on them. I will jump on a ten count of the 6 at the next opportunity and stash them. 

age is key to Cohiba cigars,give them time to mature and reach their potential.

better you buy a couple aged sticks,then you can decide to invest in more.

operative word: invest.

I too have enjoyed Siglo lll at 3 years, but felt guilty about it.................:lol:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dominattorney said:

I have been enjoying the siglo 3 with less than 3 years on them. I will jump on a ten count of the 6 at the next opportunity and stash them. 

Don't tell me  this. I'm sitting on a box and I'm determined to give them the aforementioned 5 years. The '08s are sublime, I haven't smoked anything younger than a '10.

Currently the top pick in my rotation are a box of 2007 Siglo V. I find the flavor exactly what I look for in Cohibas, that dried grass citrus kind of thing. I also find the vitola perfect. It's easily my favorite of the whole Cohiba lineup. I go through phases though. But I'd argue the Sig V is a cigar you don't hear alot about, it's also a cigar I don't see enough of. 

I also am a huge fan of the Siglo VI w about 8-10 years of age, but agree the ring gauge is a bit much for me and sets the ceiling for me in terms of how thick I'll go on a regular rotation cigar. 

On the classic, I do love the Lanceros, CE, and robustos. The Esplendidos for whatever reason has never been a favorite. It is odd because I smoke alot of Cohiba and alot of churchills.

• Like 1

As always I say try for yourself. Pointers and hints are one thing, but you won't experience the same until you smoke the same cigars, and that is not going to happen. Buy a few, or trade for a few and see what the line has to offer. There is no other way.

Frankly many Cohiba cigars are simply overrated (MHO). My favorite Siglo is the #3, yet Cohibas are always spotty (again MHO) and generally not worth the money in a comparative sense. I cannot say that I enjoy the 'grassy' taste, and as that is what they are known for, makes them a silly purchase for me.

I do own more of the Lanceros, CEs than any other Cohiba cigars. Even with the grassiness, they appear to be much more refined and nuanced. The Exquisitos were a favorite of mine, but that was based on a realistic purchase price, not today's prices. It is not that the price affects the taste, but it affects the numbers of cigars that I will buy and therefore smoke. The Exquisitos is a 33 ring cigar and when priced near the du Gourmet was a worthwhile buy and risk. If you get good ones, they can be some of the best cigars you have ever smoked, but the catch is, "if you get good ones!" The 'hit and miss' record is generally no better than any Cuban cigar, often with Cohbia it is worse (MHO) so they can be a general waste of smoking capital.

Unlike the others here, I don't think that age plays an important role. The quality of the tobacco plays the important roll here as with all cigars. If these are needed (for stock) and they have crap tobacco, Tabacuba will make them anyway! The need to sell them is always more important to Tabacuba than to sell a 'great' one, so there you have it.

Best of luck on your journey. -Piggy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dominattorney said:

I think the VI is the worst cohiba in the current lineup.  Cash grab, over produced.  I've had 5-10 and every single one leaves me saying, "this is no where as good as a COLA, or an Esplendido."  

I stick to siglo 3/4 along with the lancero and Esplendido and I am seldom disappointed.  

Further,  I have started to enter the group that believes that el laguito cohiba are what you "should" spend your money on.  Cohiba rolled in the provincial factories aren't bad,  I am not saying that. But I am saying they aren't as good.