Blind Tasting Reviews Cigar Number 4 : FOH INT 2017 Blind Tasting Comp

Hello everyone

Well Cigar number 3 really threw a few of you, this is why I love doing this competition it makes for interesting results :D

So Cigar Number 4

For those who have smoked their tasting cigar or will be soon this is the thread to place your thoughts about what you think the flavour profile is and how it smoked ...... PLEASE DO NOT DISCLOSE WHAT YOU THINK IT IS .. just email Lisa   [email protected]

Once we have everyone's responses we will reveal the cigar.

The final date for your result is Tuesday  July 4th

Happy Smoking 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't normally enjoy a good cuban early in the morning, but its Father's Day, its 6 AM, the house is quiet, coffee made, everyone who's anyone is still asleep.  This is my time, so why not on this special day (cough cough) I take my coffee outside and enjoy cigar #4.     

Coffee is hot and mixed with just the right amount of cream to turn is a light shade of brown, squirrels are already out and waiting to see if I'll throw them a few peanuts, birds are at the bird feeder happily enjoying the bird seed I put out.   Taking my time with the smoke and reflecting on my day....why not play some golf today after doing some work around the house???  Cigar lit, copious amounts of smoke, smooth and classy (I'd say more but I'd give away too much information, LOL).   First third I found a little bland, but the second and last third I knew what brand this was and again...class comes to mind.    

Enjoying the cigar and doing even more reflecting on the day...it being Father's Day, I made a major decision.  I'll skip the work and go straight to the golf course :-)

Happy Father's Day to the dad's in the group!!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, First Lady said:

Boys I have yet the hear from a lot of you :( have you forgotten about your Cigar results

looks like we are all leaving it to this weekend, El Pres has had to many weekly competitions going :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, First Lady said:

Boys I have yet the hear from a lot of you :( have you forgotten about your Cigar results

5 hours ago, Thomasdenaro said:

looks like we are all leaving it to this weekend, El Pres has had to many weekly competitions going :D

Yep, haven't had time.  Hope to get it this week.

• Like 1

Blind sample #4

Pretty light very light tobacco cream notes think it's going to be a mild cigar

First third light body and creamy with a hint of buttered toast. Some light spice I cant place.

Middle third toast flavors gone or it's morphed into like a toasted almond, a little bit of leather and tobacco flavor is a lot stronger, spices are gone.

Final third stays light and gains a little pepper, leather is still there. Toasted almonds are gone as is all other spice.

All in all not disappointed but again glad it is my first cigar of the day.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dijit said:

Blind sample #4

Pretty light very light tobacco cream notes think it's going to be a mild cigar

First third light body and creamy with a hint of buttered toast. Some light spice I cant place.

Middle third toast flavors gone or it's morphed into like a toasted almond, a little bit of leather and tobacco flavor is a lot stronger, spices are gone.

Final third stays light and gains a little pepper, leather is still there. Toasted almonds are gone as is all other spice.

All in all not disappointed but again glad it is my first cigar of the day.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Dijit's review nailed it in my opinion.  Surprised to find so many similarities in our tastes of this cigar. 

Overall mild cigar that started creamy, with a tad of spice.  Toasted almond through the middle that transitioned to leather.  Toasted almond and cream to the end, with a hint of spice/pepper. 

Overall a very enjoyable cigar.  Had a little bit of a loose draw, but nothing egregious and no tunneling.  This and cigar number 1 (punch punch) have been my favorites so far.  looking forward to the reveal.   

• Like 1

Blind Tasting, Cigar #4 Review:

On the whole, my experience was very similar to @Dijit and @boopdeep.  I'm very curious to read more reviews as they are posted, but cigar #4 may prove to be the most consistent stick of the first 4.  I look forward to the big reveal with great anticipation.  Now on to the review...         

The stick I received had a somewhat unattractive, rustic, light brown wrapper with a few small veins and no visible oil content.  However, the construction looked good.  It had an appropriate level of fill with no soft spots.    

The pre-light draw yielded flavors of sweet tobacco and savory herbs.      

The 1st third was leather, herbal tea, nuts, mild earth, a touch of cedar and a hint of white pepper.  The strength was fairly mild and the smoke was creamy.  In the middle third the strength picked up to medium.  The hints of pepper faded, the leather and herbal tea became more prominent, the creaminess of the smoke increased, and I began picking up some toasted bread notes.  The final third was similar to the middle third in flavor and strength (minus the toasted bread).  The burn was very even and the draw was less than firm.   

Cigar #4 would not win any beauty contests and it did not have the complexity of cigar #3, but the flavors were excellent.  I thoroughly enjoyed cigar #4 from start to finish.  88/100.  :2thumbs:     

• Like 1

Good call on rustic...other than that, minimal amounts of sweet cream, some pepper, a few sour notes, and a perfume-like hit from time to time.  In all honesty, I have no idea what this is/was, but  I would give this one no better than a 78...one of the worst Cubans I've ever had and THE worst cigar (with the exception of the Monte Open Pres stuck us with several years ago) I've ever smoked in any of the blind tastings I've participated in.  I may not even submit a guess...

1/3 Overpowering bitter floral notes leather and some kind of sweetness.  Bitterness lessening.  Leather, earth and mushrooms light sweetness.  

2/3 less bitterness leather and mushrooms.  

3/3 bitterness returns with a vengeance and the cigar gets tossed.

Bitterness throughout has been gnarly.  Kept smoking the cigar hoping it would turn around but no dice.  No idea what this might be, but this was definitely a dud. 

10 hours ago, Bennettjohnl said:

1/3 Overpowering bitter floral notes leather and some kind of sweetness.  Bitterness lessening.  Leather, earth and mushrooms light sweetness.  

2/3 less bitterness leather and mushrooms.  

3/3 bitterness returns with a vengeance and the cigar gets tossed.

Bitterness throughout has been gnarly.  Kept smoking the cigar hoping it would turn around but no dice.  No idea what this might be, but this was definitely a dud. 

You smoked my cigars brother...

22 hours ago, ShortFatHokie said:

Good call on rustic...other than that, minimal amounts of sweet cream, some pepper, a few sour notes, and a perfume-like hit from time to time.  In all honesty, I have no idea what this is/was, but  I would give this one no better than a 78...one of the worst Cubans I've ever had and THE worst cigar (with the exception of the Monte Open Pres stuck us with several years ago) I've ever smoked in any of the blind tastings I've participated in.  I may not even submit a guess...

@ShortFatHokie: That's too bad you were disappointed with cigar #4.  As stated in my review, my stick was an absolute pleasure to smoke.

This is my first time participating in the blind tasting contest, and so far my biggest take-away / "lesson learned" is that inconsistency is much greater than I realized.  I suppose it's just part of the deal with an organic, hand-made product such as CCs.  Crops vary from year to year, quality control varies from factory to factory and flavors can be different from box to box.  Even sticks within a particular box can sometimes span the spectrum from excellent to average to bad (Monte #2 comes to mind).

The reveals for cigar #2 (Fonseca #1) and cigar #3 (H. Upmann #2) have been a major surprise :o.  The Fonseca #1 is one of my favorite mild lonsdale/dalias, but my stick was very strong, somewhat harsh and tasted like a NC.  There was nothing mild about it.  While I absolutely loved cigar #3 (H. Upmann #2), the stick I received tasted nothing like any other HU2 I've smoked.  I think I have a pretty good idea what cigar #4 is, but so far I'm 0 for 3.  Zero for 4 is a distinct possibility. :lol:  

• Like 2

Started out nice. Mild side of medium. Perfect draw. A bit of sweetness in the first third. Toasted tobacco. A bit of nuttiness. In the second third things began to go wrong. The draw got wonky and bitter earth began to predominate . Maybe it was the high humidity yesterday but through the second third it devolved into rather unpleasant bitter earth and leather. No sweetness, no fruitiness, no nuts, just bitter earth. Not my cup of tea. I have a guess as to was this was.

Light wrapper with practically no oil.  Prelight draw made me nervous as draw was slightly tight, but it smoked really well upon light.  First third is yielding the bitterness and leather that others tasted.  Retrohale flavor is familiar, but I can't place it.  

Bittermess lessening now at close of first third.  Retrohale flavor is now bringing a particular marca to my mind, but I find myself questioning it.  Still, I have smoked this marca frequently as of late and I have a hard time believing it could be anything else.  White pepper and leather now.  Construction is pretty darn good.  I don't mind a tighter draw as long as I get a lot of smoke, and I am getting quite a bit.  

First third ash just fell off on its own.  Things are starting to sweeten up just a little in beginning of second third.  

Aaaaand my wife needs help with the baby.  Welp, relighting this thing will certainly change the cigar, but I'll submit my guess I suppose.  

To me, it's all burnt toast, biscuit, and  some kitchen spices. A touch of leather here and there, and very slight anice on the retro, which I always welcome. Very enjoyable. Snug draw throughout, but burn performance and smoke output are exceptional. Further along, a somewhat dry and peppery finish. Paired tonight with a 7 & 7. Not sure what it is, narrowed it down to two, maybe three possibilities. Whatever it is, count me in for a box.

IMG_3945.thumb.JPG.eeef2b626959b6aaf8e412a4cca0212b.JPG

It was with great trepidation that I submitted my guess on this one.  I thought I knew what it was before I smoked it, but then I did a 180 and put in a guess for something else.  Creamy, woody, leathery, light, and pleasant--the smoke was complex though light in body.  I would definitely buy a box of these puppies after the reveal because I absolutely love the size.  Let's see whether my gut was correct. 

Blind Cigar #4

Looks rough, some green spots and a kind of bland, flat brown color to it. Well packed and excellent draw, never had any burn issues at all which was great. Flavor wise, it had a cream, white pepper and nutty thing going on. After reading some other posts it sounds like we can mostly agree on that. My sample turned quite bitter towards the middle and never really recovered after that. I could get some hints of that nuttiness from time to time and always seemed to have that white pepper on the retro but the bitterness dominated the rest of the way. I have my guesses as to what this is, and I would probably not buy any. This competition has been a blast so far!

IMG_20170602_200156.jpg

3rd cigar of 4 with fatal construction flaws. 3rd crappy tasting cigar of 4. Solid as a rock the entire way through. Used my perfect draw to bore a hole down the entire length of the cigar. I was able to pull something through it at this point, but not alot. I lit it and enjoyed about 3/8" of acidic, tannic, bitter, thin smoke before the cigar exploded in the middle blowing the wrapper to pieces. The draw didn't improve even after the pressure release, neither did the flavor. I tossed it, just like # 1 and #2. Stored at 61% RH and 69 degrees f since the cigars arrived. Its clear from the responses all the cigars so far that quality is all over the place. Maybe I got a bad pack, but this has been a thoroughly disappointing experience.

595ba78c690c4_IMG_50711.thumb.JPG.3e621784c7866e8253ad7c67a12a2dbd.JPG

595ba7c44f0c4_IMG_50721.thumb.JPG.75cf22451000a219babd873a9104d6fe.JPG

On July 3, 2017 at 6:35 AM, dominattorney said:

It was with great trepidation that I submitted my guess on this one.  I thought I knew what it was before I smoked it, but then I did a 180 and put in a guess for something else.  Creamy, woody, leathery, light, and pleasant--the smoke was complex though light in body.  I would definitely buy a box of these puppies after the reveal because I absolutely love the size.  Let's see whether my gut was correct. 

I did the same on #3.  Should have stuck with my initial impression based on appearance.  I ended up whiffing on that one because i actually smoked it. <_<

This one I have no real guess because it was so completely tasteless there's no way to place it. I'll make a WAG based on size alone, but it might as well have been rolled with cotton.  

• Like 1