Coffee Maker

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I add about 1/8 teaspoon baking soda to the french press to lower the acidity and plunge the coffee 1/4 inch so all the grounds in the water while it steeps.

Seeing this got me thinking, any of you salt your coffee?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to manual pour over coffee about a year ago. I use a cheap Hario ceramic dripper, takes a bit more time and effort than a machine but well worth it imo. You can really fine tune your cup. Wi

I'll join in the fun too as I'm also a coffee geek.  What I like: Freshly ground beans 7-10 days off roast is ideal for me, but I'll drink coffee much much older than that. Even months old.

May I present my faithful coffee maker. I grew up with this coffee maker in the 1960's. It followed me to college and then grad school. Now over 50 years later it remains my one and only coffee maker.

salt is to mask bitterness.  Navy trick..........

I roast my own coffee,and use a French press often,and have a good drip unit for daily use.

don't drink espresso any more............

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scap99 said:

Seeing this got me thinking, any of you salt your coffee?

I use to put a hint of salt in the french press, but this does both the sodium and reduce acidity.  A must try with any coffee preparation; not much is needed.  You can see it bubble up a little like a primary school science experiment. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BellevilleMXZ said:

Will these make, say, 2 cups? Or is it a pot only ? I'm the only coffee drinker

Yes.  The brew basket has a 3-position slide that can be used to restrict the flow rate of coffee through the filter.  The middle position is recommend for 4 or fewer servings.

Technivorm.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garbandz said:

salt is to mask bitterness.  Navy trick..........

I roast my own coffee,and use a French press often,and have a good drip unit for daily use.

don't drink espresso any more............

Thought the Navy trick was the dirty sock in the pot....lol

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mwaller said:

Yes.  The brew basket has a 3-position slide that can be used to restrict the flow rate of coffee through the filter.  The middle position is recommend for 4 or fewer servings.

Technivorm.jpg

Thanks!!

On 6/8/2017 at 0:43 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

This is one reason I don't use the Rancilio as much; the grinder needs to be calibrated if you don't use it daily.  That, it's messy, and I like to drink more ounces of coffee than a latte and the like...

I have an ascaso I4, I like it but I only use it for the making espresso in the Rancilio as I have it pretty much dialed in, although I do have to adjust a bit depending on the beans.

On 6/9/2017 at 1:34 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

I use to put a hint of salt in the french press, but this does both the sodium and reduce acidity.  A must try with any coffee preparation; not much is needed.  You can see it bubble up a little like a primary school science experiment. 

Tried a pinch this morning.  Wasn't a huge difference, but it did seem smoother.  Might try a tad more tomorrow.

Like the OP, I was on the search for a serious upgrade in coffee.  After scouring this thread, took the plunge and bought an Aeropress.  AWESOME COFFEE!  The search is over and coffee nirvana has been found!  I'm a happy dude!

• Like 3

On 6/11/2017 at 1:39 AM, jwr0201 said:

Like the OP, I was on the search for a serious upgrade in coffee.  After scouring this thread, took the plunge and bought an Aeropress.  AWESOME COFFEE!  The search is over and coffee nirvana has been found!  I'm a happy dude!

+1  My Aeropress has gone with me on countless business trips across the globe.  I bring a sealed container of my home-roasted coffee as well and am never disappointed by hotel swill.  Getting hot water is sometimes a challenge however....

23 hours ago, RijkdeGooier said:

Jura is all you'll ever need. Fully auto and adjustable in terms of grinding, water temp and amount of coffee 

Which model do you have?  I lucked into a S9 Avantgarde for super cheap about 10 years ago at Williams-Sonoma, the thing has run flawlessly ever since.  I rue the day is gives up the ghost as there is no way I am spending $2k+ on another one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TCContender said:

Which model do you have?  I lucked into a S9 Avantgarde for super cheap about 10 years ago at Williams-Sonoma, the thing has run flawlessly ever since.  I rue the day is gives up the ghost as there is no way I am spending $2k+ on another one.

You guys must have had better luck than me. We had an S9 and the the quality of espresso was terrible either too bitter or too watery.

A top grinder is a lifetime purchase.  Don't let the initial purchase price deter you.  10-20+ years later that cost will have seemed trivial and the replacement of the same grinder will cost more than you spent those year before.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheLiquidGator said:

May I present my faithful coffee maker. I grew up with this coffee maker in the 1960's. It followed me to college and then grad school. Now over 50 years later it remains my one and only coffee maker.

This device makes wonderful old school percolator coffee. I have no desire or reason to even try another. This one I will take to the grave with me.

Corning Ware Electric 10 Cup Coffee Pot Percolator Cornflower

corning.jpg

My parents still use a Faberware percolator pot that is quite old as well.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TCContender said:

Impressa ZS about 10+ years old. 

Still a great machine, but of course the coffee one puts in is the determining factor. 

• Like 1

Some good coffee gear chat here. I'll add that a good cleaner is a great way to keep your gear lasting a long time. I've been using cafiza for awhile now. A little goes a long way. Works on your coffee equipment as well as mugs, tumblers, pots, pans. Also, descaling a drip machine keeps it working efficiently and lasting a long time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fabes said:

Some good coffee gear chat here. I'll add that a good cleaner is a great way to keep your gear lasting a long time. I've been using cafiza for awhile now....

Cafiza rocks!  Amazing how much staining it can take off.  Even if it looks clean; the water still turns brown...  Is use on wine decanters as well.

• Like 1

Wow... my poor ol' Mr Coffee drip machine is looking pretty lowly on the counter about now after reading this thread. I do only use Community Coffee's Signature Dark Roast from Baton Rouge Louisiana though. On a high note I have a FOH ashtray on the way - So I have that going for me. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, gmc4wd said:

M82, Community Coffee up in New Jersey???

Yep. I order it direct from their website. Met a guy a while ago who grew up in Baton Rouge and has drank it all his life. He gave me some to try and I've been ordering it ever since.  My daughter has me send bags to her at college - In Connecticut - So it's moving further north ! Great stuff. Great company. 

There's my fancy set up .. works for me !

IMG_1673.JPG

• Like 1