Your trusted online humidor and cigar accessory dealer.

metro_habanos

Hello to FOH's;

I have spent the last few hours jumping from site to site trying to figure out who has the best humidor for me. I recently joined FOH and rather than dip a toe in to test the water and try my new hobby out, I seem to have dove right in by purchasing 2 box's of cigars from 24:24 and the basic's; torch and cutter. So now that I have these 2 box's heading my way, and on the words of El Presidente, these 2 box's need to sit for about a year.So I am hoping some one here has a good web dealer for supplies. I started with the recommended tupper-dor method by get the small seal-able plastic container and the boveda but I don't think I can get 50 sticks in to the container.

Thanks for the help!

First off, if you got 2 boxes, I wouldn't hesitate to smoke one ROTT ( right off the truck) when you receive the box. I generally grab one ugly one or underfilled one out of the box and let it sit in my humidor singles drawer for a few days to a week then light it up to sample. Then sample another a month down the road or so to see how they evolve. Rob is generally giving you an ideal rest period to let them shine. Everyone has a different pallet, test for yourself.
With regard to the Tupperware. Just grab a big sterilite air tight seal box. 5d584b2eb7b8c3d689a712f2b9be85aa.jpg

I got a 30L one, they come in 74L too. You can fit plenty of boxes in the 30L box. They hold humidity very well with 4 boveda packs. Just make sure you wash the box out first with dish soap and air out for a few days to get the plastic smell out.
And as the previous member said, amazon is great to order supplies like hydrometers, boveda etc.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

@shlomo, @havanaclub, I am in Cali., the 916, I did go through Amazon and other sites but not sure what is good other than the Spanish cedar and Mahogany for build. Digital rather than the cheap dial hygrometer.

As for the plastic tub, that is what I got but it holds about 10 sticks. I guess I need to run over to the local container store.

Thanks again.

Go with a good digital. Xikar purotemp is all calibrated and ready to go. Don't waste money on analog one.
If you are putting cigars in Tupperware just keep in the box. You don't need cedar. You can use some of the cedar sheets from the boxes after or old boxes for a buffer if you would like but not really necessary if the boxes are on the tub.
Cheers

• Like 1

I used that Sterilite box before I got my cabinet humidor.  The one I had held at least 20 boxes of cigars.  I put a 6" Heartfelt beads stick in the box, and it held the rH perfectly at 65% with virtually no maintenance. 

As to Rob's suggestion to put those sticks away for one year, I'm not sure which cigars you ordered, but generally the rule is to put them into your humidor for 30-60 days at no more than 65% rH @ 70 dF, and then smoke away.  As with most all Cuban cigars, they get better with age, and most hit their sweet spot after 3-5 years of age from the box date.  But, I think most members here will tell you to smoke 'em after you've let them rest a month or two after receipt from Oz, and then smoke away. 

If you want a desk top humidor, you can find those everywhere on line and, as Shlomo said, at most local cigar shops.   

16 hours ago, stogieluver said:

I used that Sterilite box before I got my cabinet humidor.  The one I had held at least 20 boxes of cigars.  I put a 6" Heartfelt beads stick in the box, and it held the rH perfectly at 65% with virtually no maintenance. 

The specs for the larger Sterilite boxes do not indicate they are BPA-free and phthalate-free.  Wouldn't that be of some concern for cigar storage?  The Sterilite food containers are smaller, but the specs clearly indicate they are BPA-free and phthalate-free.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, smfdff said:

@shlomo, @havanaclub, I am in Cali., the 916

So you're in pretty warm area in the spring through autumn.  Don't forget to consider the temperature.  This might not be something you can grapple with at the moment, but if you get into this to a serious level (e.g. thousands of dollars of product), either some kind of temperature control or a freezing regime may be something you want to research.  Just keep that in mind.

Good luck!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MahDooRow said:

The specs for the larger Sterilite boxes do not indicate they are BPA-free and phthalate-free.  Wouldn't that be of some concern for cigar storage?  The Sterilite food containers are smaller, but the specs clearly indicate they are BPA-free and phthalate-free.

Don't know about that, but I tried cleaning mine with dish detergent and water, but still had the plastic smell.  Then, after reading it on here, I tried cleaning it with a strong vinegar and water solution, dried it in the sun, and that did it.  No more smell of any kind.  Worked great.

• 3 weeks later...
Don't know about that, but I tried cleaning mine with dish detergent and water, but still had the plastic smell.  Then, after reading it on here, I tried cleaning it with a strong vinegar and water solution, dried it in the sun, and that did it.  No more smell of any kind.  Worked great.

Emailed sterilite. All their products are bpa free etc.