H. upmann, which one?

Unfortunately, I never buy online because customs adds 2 to 2.5 times to the price of cigars. But I will be visiting an lcdh in the coming weeks and would like a recommendation on which h. upmann to buy next.

I've had the half corona and coronas major and liked them both, mag 46 not so much. Based on those preferences, what should be my next box purchase from the h upmann line up?  connie 1, royal robusto, other mags, sir winnie?

Thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I was planning to smoke them in the next 3 years I'd personally go with the Connie A over the CoRo. Medium-to-long term, Cohiba performs very well, and the Connie A is an unknown quantity at this p

What is on your wishlist and what decision you'll make once you are in the LCDH can be two very different things. So, in regards to Upmann, go for what you'll probably appreciate most and regret least

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the 2016 community cigar of the year data generally agree with the consensus advice here.  For reference, the H. Upmanns in the top 50 were: (#2) Magnum 56 Limited Edition

Finding Sir Winstons can be a bit of a challenge these days, but they would be top of my list for the HU flavor you're likely after if you can find a decent box. Second I would say Conn A. I would also add the Mag 50 to your list to try though it differs a bit from the traditional HU (nuts/cream) profile that many (including myself) seem to look for and what you find in the HUHC, etc. 

• Like 1

depends, if you like some daily smoke cigars, i would highly recommend half corona , Corona major ,petit Corona, .royal robusto, 

For time period collections, and make the whole box in perfect condition, into some PSP condition , i would recommend MG 46, MG50 54 56  , or Majestic

never worth to try something like No 2 , AT box, Coronoa Juniors, 

SIR WINSTON CABINETis really good box depends whether the date and code back of the box. 
  • Like 1

What is on your wishlist and what decision you'll make once you are in the LCDH can be two very different things. So, in regards to Upmann, go for what you'll probably appreciate most and regret least later. This would include picking up Sir Winston, as unlikely as it is that they'll be available, and similarly getting any upcoming deleted Petit Corona you can find.

If you are after the best, the superlative current H.Upmann experience, go for the Connossieur A. If the cost is prohibitive and you'd prefer better 'bang for your buck' within your flavour preference/s, I'd go for the Connoisseur No.1.

• Like 4

If you favor HUHC over Mag46, I'd say definitely go for the Mag50 and the Connie A. Connie 1 is more similar to the Mag46, IMO. Also, and despite the flavour profile being a bit different, try the Sir Winnie and the Magnum 56 LE 2015 - both are superb, albeit more expensive. 

• Like 1

Upmann Pc's are my favorite. The #2 has a similar profile in a larger format. Both very good. The Mag50 was the most boring, mundane Upmann I tried. Too large a format for myself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Hoze said:

Finding Sir Winstons can be a bit of a challenge these days, but they would be top of my list for the HU flavor you're likely after if you can find a decent box. Second I would say Conn A. I would also add the Mag 50 to your list to try though it differs a bit from the traditional HU (nuts/cream) profile that many (including myself) seem to look for and what you find in the HUHC, etc. 

Just saw an LCDH receive like 20 boxes of them recently. 

I would recommend 

Connie 1

Royal robusto 

and Sir winstons 

• Like 2

No. 2, Monarch, Sir Winston, or Connoisseur are their best/most consistent normal cigars beyond the Magnum series which you didn't like.  I would recommend another Mag 46 if they look good.  I wasn't a fan of them for years until the newest production which is fantastic.  I am convert if they keep making them as they are right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

If the cost is prohibitive and you'd prefer better 'bang for your buck' within your flavour preference/s, I'd go for the Connoisseur No.1.

This.

The Conn A is good but very pricey for what it has to offer, compared to a Conn#1 or a #2…

And recent Majestic are very good.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

No. 2, Monarch, Sir Winston, or Connoisseur are their best/most consistent normal cigars beyond the Magnum series which you didn't like.  I would recommend another Mag 46 if they look good.  I wasn't a fan of them for years until the newest production which is fantastic.  I am convert if they keep making them as they are right now.

Agreed very much on the Mag46. Never really my pace, until about 2015 or so. Now they are one of my favorites.

The only Upmann that I'd maybe steer someone away from is the Regalias or the Coronas Minor. 

I think the Connie A is the best Upmann available right now, and if you've already tried the Mag 46 I'd probably recommend the Connie 1 at this point. 

Of course, if you can find a SW, grab one. 

The Mag 50 is a much more of a "mellow" Upmann so if you're looking for a little strength I'd avoid that one. 

The Majestics are possibly Upmann's best value. Never had a bad one, but never had a great one. For $3.50/stick though, you'll be happy.

• Like 3

To me the half corona, mag 46 and corona  major is fairly related - and different from mag 50, winnies, Connie a and pc that is all lighter in taste. 

The pc is a favourite. Deny to believe they will be discontinued. If you can find them, they are Usually great value 

7 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

The only Upmann that I'd maybe steer someone away from is the Regalias or the Coronas Minor. 

I think the Connie A is the best Upmann available right now, and if you've already tried the Mag 46 I'd probably recommend the Connie 1 at this point. 

Of course, if you can find a SW, grab one. 

The Mag 50 is a much more of a "mellow" Upmann so if you're looking for a little strength I'd avoid that one. 

The Majestics are possibly Upmann's best value. Never had a bad one, but never had a great one. For $3.50/stick though, you'll be happy.

Doesn't the Connie A have pricing comparable to Cohiba Robustos? I'll pass on boxes in that price range. I am well stocked on PC's, and they are a damn fine cigar for the coin.

• Like 2

If you are after the best, the superlative current H.Upmann experience, go for the Connossieur A. If the cost is prohibitive and you'd prefer better 'bang for your buck' within your flavour preference/s, I'd go for the Connoisseur No.1.

Along similar lines - get the No.1 if it has some years on the box. If all you have are boxes with a year or so old, go for the A, especially if you want to smoke them relatively soon.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NYgarman said:

Doesn't the Connie A have pricing comparable to Cohiba Robustos? I'll pass on boxes in that price range. I am well stocked on PC's, and they are a damn fine cigar for the coin.

Think the Connie A runs about ~$370ish (box of 25) from FOH, but I haven't bought any since the beginning of the year.

If you can find any aged Mag 46 (5 to 8 years), you should try one.  Those rascals go through quite the change.  Young, they do nothing for me, but with age comes brilliance.  YMMV

Good hunting.

• Like 2

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the 2016 community cigar of the year data generally agree with the consensus advice here.  For reference, the H. Upmanns in the top 50 were:

(#2) Magnum 56 Limited Edition
(#5) Connoisseur A 
(#7) Sir Winston
(#12) Connoisseur No. 1
(#22) Magnum 46
(#26) Magnum 50
(#35) Royal Robustos

Incidentally, H. Upmann has been the most favored marca (as determined by votes cast for its cigars) in the two years of voting for which I have granular data.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NYgarman said:

I personally would choose the Connie A over the CORO right now.  CORO need many years to show their greatness and as @NSXCIGAR and others have pointed out the Connie A is smoking great right now.  I believe it's one of the best (if not the best) cigars coming out over the past couple years.  I denied them a fair shake for nearly a year due to the skewed pricing, but they're well worth the coin.  

Winnie's are my favorite cigar right now and I've gone deep on them, but I wouldn't recommend them as an everyday cigar. 

And as much as I hate to admit it I really like the Mag54.  Detest the size, but it's a very nice cigar IMO.  

Lastky--grab some boxes of HUHC.  Have had very few of them let me down.  As @shlomo said above.  Smoke 2.  Great option.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Half Corona priced the same and have had loads and loads of great ones!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Half Corona priced the same and have had loads and loads of great ones!

Yes, the HC is widely enjoyed, but I'll be damned if I can make one last more than 40 minutes. The Majestics is basically a Corona sized and lasts me for at least an hour. Much more smoke for the money than the HC, although it can be argued that the HC is generally a better cigar.