H. upmann, which one?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I was planning to smoke them in the next 3 years I'd personally go with the Connie A over the CoRo. Medium-to-long term, Cohiba performs very well, and the Connie A is an unknown quantity at this p

What is on your wishlist and what decision you'll make once you are in the LCDH can be two very different things. So, in regards to Upmann, go for what you'll probably appreciate most and regret least

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the 2016 community cigar of the year data generally agree with the consensus advice here.  For reference, the H. Upmanns in the top 50 were: (#2) Magnum 56 Limited Edition

On 16-6-2017 at 11:10 AM, jcorona said:

Unfortunately, I never buy online because customs adds 2 to 2.5 times to the price of cigars. But I will be visiting an lcdh in the coming weeks and would like a recommendation on which h. upmann to buy next.

I've had the half corona and coronas major and liked them both, mag 46 not so much. Based on those preferences, what should be my next box purchase from the h upmann line up?  connie 1, royal robusto, other mags, sir winnie?

Thanks.

If you liked the HC and the Corona Major but not the Mag46, provided all were in their good age range to smoke then it seems you like a bit more power over refinement. 

If that is the case then the Majestics, the Connie1 and he Piramide 2 are all excellent choices. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, planetary said:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the 2016 community cigar of the year data generally agree with the consensus advice here.  For reference, the H. Upmanns in the top 50 were:

(#2) Magnum 56 Limited Edition
(#5) Connoisseur A 
(#7) Sir Winston
(#12) Connoisseur No. 1
(#22) Magnum 46
(#26) Magnum 50
(#35) Royal Robustos

Incidentally, H. Upmann has been the most favored marca (as determined by votes cast for its cigars) in the two years of voting for which I have granular data.

This list is interesting. I wonder why the royal robustos are so low in the list. Is it because it's a crap cigar, or not many people have smoked it? 

1 hour ago, jcorona said:

This list is interesting. I wonder why the royal robustos are so low in the list. Is it because it's a crap cigar, or not many people have smoked it? 

They're just not ready to smoke today.  I am betting on them being marvelous cigars down the road, but as of today I find them to be in a sick state.  Great cigar to buy for the future.   

• Like 1

"I wonder why the royal robustos are so low in the list  "...

the others are better overall.

I tried several RBs in their first 12 to 18 months, and liked them, lots of everything, but unfocused and young tasting.

I also think these will be special with 5 or so years of proper keeping.

due to price, some will avoid them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jcorona said:

I think it gets overshadowed by the Connie A, which is very similar in size and price point. I like both, and a perfect box of either would be a toss up in my mind, but the Connie A has a well earned reputation for consistency. Honestly, if there were petit coronas one of them would have been cut by now.

• Like 1

Connie A

Sir Winston

Mag50

i have a box of Royal Robustos with anLCDH second band. These are among my top 5 that I presently own. The Dir Winstons are a tough deal. You may not be able to locate these. That would be first on my list if available

• Like 1

I've only smoke a half corona and a Connie A. The half corona didn't last long enough but the flavours were absolutely amazing, Among the best of any cigar I've had. On the other hand the Connie A was a complete let down. Flavours were a bit muted and not all that complex. From the sounds of it everyone swears by them though. Do you guys think it was just a dud? 

H. Upmann offers so many great cigars in the top tier it's tough to choose just one.  Luckily, there aren't any bad choices.  It really comes down to personal preference and/or price point.  For best overall value without sacrificing flavor, the HUPC and Connie #1 would be my top pics.  For best overall cigar regardless of price my vote is for the Connie A.  If you're looking for a quintessential Cuban classic that smokes well young and ages beautifully, then grab a box of the #2.  And if you want an Upmann that's a little different and has a brighter flavor profile, the Magnum 50 is excellent.  

On June 17, 2017 at 7:25 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

They're just not ready to smoke today.  I am betting on them being marvelous cigars down the road, but as of today I find them to be in a sick state.  Great cigar to buy for the future.   

Regarding the Royal Robusto, I agree with BrightonCorgi and others with similar comments... this cigar needs time to age.  I purchased a box about a year ago, smoked one after a month of acclimation and was disappointed.  I smoked one about a week ago, and after a year of rest the cigar was much better.  I'd say it was good, but not great.  I believe it needs at least another year to further develop, and it will likely need 3-5 years to really hit its peak.  The Royal Robusto is a good choice if you've got time, patience and a stable storage environment.   

48 minutes ago, Hayden said:

I've only smoke a half corona and a Connie A. The half corona didn't last long enough but the flavours were absolutely amazing, Among the best of any cigar I've had. On the other hand the Connie A was a complete let down. Flavours were a bit muted and not all that complex. From the sounds of it everyone swears by them though. Do you guys think it was just a dud? 

I doubt it was a dud.  It's probably just young and needs more time to rest.  After a year they start to smoke really well.  That being said, the Connie A is a fairly mild cigar overall.  The complexity is there, but it's subtle.  IMO it is much better enjoyed in a quiet, serene environment in which you can be fully focused on the cigar.      

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MahDooRow said:

I doubt it was a dud.  It's probably just young and needs more time to rest.  After a year they start to smoke really well.  That being said, the Connie A is a fairly mild cigar overall.  The complexity is there, but it's subtle.  IMO it is much better enjoyed in a quiet, serene environment in which you can be fully focused on the cigar.      

That's how I tend to smoke most of my cigars. It wasn't bad by any means just didn't wow me. It wasn't that young though ( LUB Abr 15).  I will have to give the Connie A another try in the future. 

I don't recall anyone mentioning it, but the Noella is definitely worth picking up a couple.  Don't let the jar novelty take from the cigars that in the jar.  Delightful cigar.

• Like 2

I have contacted them and they have the Magnum 46 and 50, the Half corona, Connoisseur A, Royal Robusto, and the #2 reserva cosecha. Thoughts on the #2 reserva? 

Great marca.  I'd look into the following.

•  Half Coronas.  (so much flavour in these little guys)
  • Connie A (IMO, the best cigar coming out of Cuba)
  •  Sir Winston (great to go deep on, savour over time)
  • Magnum 50 (my first HU love.)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I don't recall anyone mentioning it, but the Noella is definitely worth picking up a couple.  Don't let the jar novelty take from the cigars that in the jar.  Delightful cigar.

Agree, although they also need quite a bit of time. And the jar is actually very nice, IMO.

4 hours ago, jcorona said:

Thoughts on the #2 reserva? 

A friend had one a little while ago and did not think it was better than the regular, but I would like to find out myself!

8 hours ago, jcorona said:

Thoughts on the #2 reserva? 

3 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

A friend had one a little while ago and did not think it was better than the regular, but I would like to find out myself!

I have a couple boxes of the No 2 Reservas and have smoked a few of them. They are very good cigars in my view. I really like them. Not a great value, especially at the prices I see them selling for these days....but as an HU fan I had to buy a couple boxes and was lucky to try two singles beforehand. 

• Like 1

I've always appreciated the Connie 1 and PC and find them to have a unique and endearing character. The SW is probably the classiest Julieta/DC I know, though, obviously, hard to find and suffering from poor quality leaf at the moment.

I don't dig the Magnum series - just not to my taste, and although the Connie A is highly regarded, I feel it suffers from trying to be too many things at once. To me, the A has always tasted like a cross between the Upmann core line and the Magnums. I, too, think there's something about it that suggests that it might not age well.

On 6/16/2017 at 11:22 AM, Smallclub said:

This.

The Conn A is good but very pricey for what it has to offer, compared to a Conn#1 or a #2…

And recent Majestic are very good.

For me, the size and price of a Connie 1 compared to the Connie A, is a no-brainer - #1's all day!

• Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 1:59 AM, TheMonk said:

Agree, although they also need quite a bit of time. And the jar is actually very nice, IMO.

The jar is nice, and the cigars are a delight.  Given their rarity, if I were to spot the Noellas at a merchant I would buy those without hesitation. 

A magnum 50 box of 10 is available from june 2013. I'm thinking to pick that one up. How were, or are those smoking? how was quality back then?

• Like 1

On 6/16/2017 at 1:11 PM, nathankwok said:

I love royal robusto! They taste so good even when they are young! You should definitely try one!

love these, got a few boxes at home that have only 2-3  years age on them and they are good to go.