Humidor Build--Temp. And Humidity Controlled

Hurltim

I like that T.C.L ? color what is that?

It's a light brown dye stain under two coats of candlelight stain from General Finishes. I wanted just a tinge of red. I may go darker. I am picking up more stains this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dude...just want to confirm...this end result is the product of you machining the original 100+ y.o. boards from the tobacco barn into this? Including the T&G work?  (Moderated) fantastic work!  This is so cool!  More pics, more updates not just requested, but required!

For those who are casually familiar with woodworking, or not at all, what @Hurltim did here is a TON of work...skills and a metric f*ck ton of patience. It’s like “coaxing” a workable material from something that doesn’t really want to be “coaxed”.  This is adult entertainment for woodworkers.

Keep the thread going.  I’d love to see the progress as you go.

One question:  how many slivers did you get milling those boards into the initial product??

Rock on bro!

- Wheezy

• Thanks 1

@Hurltim is a master.  It’s been a while, but I’ll post these up again.  He made these for me..they’re quite possibly (no they are without a doubt) the nicest drawers I have ever seen for a humidor.  The precision is unreal in person.  I can’t wait to see the final product as well.

5FDE934D-F1D7-44F1-AF88-E6F19282D318.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Damn it people. I came in here hoping for an update and all I got was everyone wondering where Tim went.  And now someone will probably follow my post in wondering how it's going. 
Those drawers are unreal. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Howdy All!! Sorry it's been so long for an update, but I have had to work all over the friggin country as of late. So far this year it's been MD, VA, NY back to CO and now CA. Bought the house we live in but haven't had much time to work on the humidor. My wife rebuilt our deck while I have been in Cali so I need to ask her permission to use my tools. Lol!

There has been some progress. The sides are framed up and stained and the back is on. The machined red oak frame around the t and g side panels will be painted black due to some irregular voids. Ill have to get a close up pic for you to see what I mean. I have to mount the shelf that separates the compressor area from the plenum chamber then I can start installing the insulation. 

20180905_011906.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Update: Sides, back and shelves installed. Insulation in and working on the inner walls. Once that's done, I need to order the tangential fans and power supply so I can get measurements for the 3rd walls. 

Slowly but surely....

ea86a443e989d2ab3e74a8289013c89e.jpgacd02365f2590e865d30b2d9902ef5a0.jpg9c1ad8d6f027ec53495d8372e687fbc8.jpg2b77a1622d34474ed242573999ab8c64.jpgf5caf57a9edaea374d538a74a286c61d.jpg6604e8c8ff29a8286be5a414da8f02c4.jpg2a59a5bf4ee6a8ca9aa40d6388c75703.jpgdf945eeb9fcf288a00fd2a6f7bab6421.jpg

• Like 2

@Hurltim That stain on the case came out beautiful.  Really nice job.  Did you take precautions to prevent blotches, or did it just come out gorgeous on its own?  Know you’re busy, but keep us posted here!  Curious to see how you attack internals (shelves, fan, humidification) and doors.

• 1 month later...
[mention=29766]Hurltim[/mention] That stain on the case came out beautiful.  Really nice job.  Did you take precautions to prevent blotches, or did it just come out gorgeous on its own?  Know you’re busy, but keep us posted here!  Curious to see how you attack internals (shelves, fan, humidification) and doors.
I used General Finishes water based dye stain as a base followed by oil based stain and then water based poly for a clear coat. One of the unique characteristics of aged wood is that oil based stains will turn that "grey" wood black. So, you want some of that black to show through but not all of it. If you look at the inside of the box prior to insulation, you can see the original saw marks. I really wanted to keep that look but it was not doable to keep that look and make a floating panel. The thickness would vary too much.

Now that I have the circulation fans, maybe 1000 CFM is a little overkill...lmfao!
015f1018c89de43553afcd0e58dc466b.jpgc21d96506c26b2c73ce501c1ebbb64de.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...