Beer Cellar

HavanaSunday

Just finished another project.... a beer cellar under our basement staircase.  Added a small wine rack at the back end as well.  My favorite part are the bottles I cut the bottoms off of for the lighting.  Unfortunately it was recycled glass and didn't cut as well as I would have liked, but they both broke unevenly so.... they're both equally as "rough".  Who's coming for a drink?

IMG_4524.thumb.JPG.b87f2f2c60b13a43f07e323deb76dc29.JPG

IMG_4525.thumb.JPG.a30241d3c09e71c9cd17986ecda5926e.JPG

IMG_4537.thumb.JPG.f96d500892d76113f79e8a075c0456bf.JPG

IMG_4523.thumb.JPG.19a5e49297bf948ece239bcadc79dd7b.JPG

Man, that is some nice work!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is an awesome idea!  I wish I lived somewhere long enough to make it worth doing something like this.  Maybe once I get into retirement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2017 at 10:54 AM, HavanaSunday said:

Cellar is not cooled, but being in the basement temperature hovers around 60 degrees year round.  Not optimal for storage but the cost outweighed the benefit.

Same with my wine cellar (the whole cellar).  I plan to put more insulation in cellar ceiling to keep the cold in there longer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

really impressive.

a thought for both beer and the wine cellar comments -

and i say this as someone who has been on the wrong end - get one of those year round thermometers and test the place. they will measure through the year and give you highs and lows (and remember that the movement of temperature can be more damaging than a consistent temp, even if it is a bit high - so it is probably a lot worse if you are going from 45 to 65, as an example, than if it sits at 60 all year). i suspect you will be stunned at the variation. never met anyone who has done it who has not been staggered at how much more the space, even if it has insulation, varies. and then think seriously of some form of cooling. refridgeration is expensive but a small aircon unit might work. sure, understand what you say about cost/benefit but if you do not have proper storage, unless you are turning over everything fairly quickly, there is little benefit in having a system that ruins all your prized beers (and wines).

and yes, i have lost treasured wines because of poor storage so i am not just speaking from what the text books say. rather from weeping in a corner!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2018 at 9:30 PM, Ken Gargett said:

really impressive.

a thought for both beer and the wine cellar comments -

and i say this as someone who has been on the wrong end - get one of those year round thermometers and test the place. they will measure through the year and give you highs and lows (and remember that the movement of temperature can be more damaging than a consistent temp, even if it is a bit high - so it is probably a lot worse if you are going from 45 to 65, as an example, than if it sits at 60 all year).

Seasonal swings are ok.  I was at a wine event with Jean-François Bourdy of Domaine Jean Bourdy in the Jura France.  Their cellar goes back in existence to 1475 with a library of many wines over 100 years and drinking fine.  He swears that seasonal swings are imperative for long lived wines.  A constant temp cellar is good for "40-50 years aging", but if you want to go the long haul, seasonal swings are better (according to him). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Seasonal swings are ok.  I was at a wine event with Jean-François Bourdy of Domaine Jean Bourdy in the Jura France.  Their cellar goes back in existence to 1475 with a library of many wines over 100 years and drinking fine.  He swears that seasonal swings are imperative for long lived wines.  A constant temp cellar is good for "40-50 years aging", but if you want to go the long haul, seasonal swings are better (according to him). 

jura is a bit of a different kettle of fish in comparison to "normal" wine. he may well be correct in respect of it - we see very little here and i am not much of a fan. love to visit the region though.

but i've never met a single winemaker (or serious collector) who would be happy with seasonal swings, or swings of any nature, if they can be avoided.