FOH CAN/US Box Pass 2017 - Rules/Guidelines/Particpants/Cigar List

Hey Everyone - This Thread will include the Rules, Guidelines and Trading Explanation for the FOH CAN/US Box pass.

Everyone Tagged in the message, please review the posts below and ensure that you're comfortable to continue.  On Friday this week, I will release the list of Participants, and build the Box Pass Route.  Over the weekend I will post details on the cigars that will start off in the pass.

Any questions, by all means let me know!

@Lotusguy @Boosted @dizedean @Erm310mce @fabes @jsummers157 @Lant63 @Nekhyludov @havanaclub @ChrisMG @jacktarnold @Charley @CatchNRelease @topdiesel @ehdg @stinkhead @Ramrod918 @zeedubbya @Knilas @khomeinist @shlomo @joshb @Wertman @Newkarian @Notsocleaver @garnett @Tave1225 @SloppyJ @Onsto @CanuckSARTech @boopdeep @devildoge9 @BarryNY @joeypots @ComancheKeen @treberty @KFBR392 @zulubravo @vintagerodshop @ChefBoyRG54 @Capt. Brett @Tommyz

• Like 3

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Box Pass Rules/Guidelines   A Box Pass is pretty straightforward – it’s a fun way to try a few cigars that you havn’t been able to try before (or maybe you havn’t tried one for a while), as

Hey Everyone! I can now release the Participant List.  It's posted below.  As each member confirms their address and availability, I am building the Box Pass Route - as soon as all addresses and av

Hey Everyone - This Thread will include the Rules, Guidelines and Trading Explanation for the FOH CAN/US Box pass. Everyone Tagged in the message, please review the posts below and ensure that you'

TRADING EXPLANATION:

The heart of the Box Pass is the trade itself.  This is where you pick the cigars you want, and put some of your cigars into the pass for following members to choose from.  To make this work, everyone needs to be on the same page with the values of the cigars that are being traded.  The Box Pass organizer (myself) is the final word on valuation – and I base my valuations on the going prices for cigars online and in stores, as well as the relative rarity and difficulty to find that particular cigar (if applicable).  I use as much data as possible to come up with a fair valuation for each cigar, and draw upon my experience collecting and trading cigars as well.  I will also discuss with other experienced cigar traders in instances where I’m not sure, to make sure I am fair to everyone.

In the previous box FOH CAN/US Box Pass, the trade process tended to bog down sometimes.  There were a few reasons for this:

1. Members had very different ideas of cigar valuations – or had no idea going in. 

2. Some members used it as a hard negotiation – trying to work the pass for the best one-sided deal possible for them

3. Some members just didn’t understand that the point is to make a fair trade, in the interests of all members – Put in cigars of equal or greater worth. 

As a result, sometimes the trade approval process would drag on for days, and that’s not the point here.  So for this one, we’ve got a different process:

Step 1:     Once the Box pass is in the mail from the participant immediately before you, you can now post your proposed trade.

My intention with this new process is to combine trust and experience with trade proposals.  You need to post your trade publically before it can be approved, so the onus is on you to make sure you’re posting a fair trade, because if you don’t, other participants may voice their displeasure (in POLITE terms) and you may face some embarrassment or loss of face.  

Once you’re comfortable with valuations of your puts and takes:

Step 2:     Post a picture of your proposed Puts in the Box Pass thread, and write your full proposed trade.  If you have the box pass in your possession, you can include a picture of your proposed takes, but to expedite the process, you can post your Puts before having the box pass in your possession.

Step 3:     IF I HAVE NO ISSUES with your proposed Puts/Takes, I will post my Approval in the Box Pass thread within 24 hours of your posted proposal. The trade is now official.

Step 3a:   IF I HAVE ISSUES with your proposal, I will post “Not Approved” in the Box Pass thread and email you to discuss. Once we’ve got a trade arranged that is fair and equitable, you can then post it up and I will post my Approval once I see it.

Step 4:     Once the trade is official and complete, package up the Box Pass and send it on to the next person on the list!

If you’re not comfortable with your proposal, or if you know what you want to take, but are unsure of the valuations: email me and we’ll go over your proposed trades in private over email, so that you don’t post the trade until you’re comfortable it will be approved.  Heck, if you want to email me before the pass begins, just to get ideas of valuations of cigars you might want or might want to trade in, by all means please do.

The purpose of this new process is not to knowingly embarrass anyone, but to ensure that participants are fair to others in the box pass.  If the trades are uneven, then people further down the line suffer because all the good cigars are gone.  The goal is to have a good variety of cigars (from regular to rare) throughout the pass, so that everyone has a fair shot at some unique smokes.  Some people prefer to just put higher value sticks in that what they take, so that there is no questions either way, but this is not necessarily required – as long as the trade is fair to everyone, that’s what we’re looking for.

Some other guidelines:

Regarding the cigar ratios: 1:1 for puts and takes is required. This means that if you want a $50 stick, you cannot trade in a $20 stick and a $30 stick together for it. But, you can even it out on the other side to keep within the ratio. Example:

Unacceptable:

Take: Diplo Bushido (Value- $50)

Put: Por Larranaga Regalias de Londres RE UK  (Value $35)

SLR Pacificos RE Asia (Value $17)

Acceptable:

Take: Diplo Bushido ($50)

Partagas D4 ($10)

Put : Por Larranaga Regalias de Londres RE UK ($35)

RA 898 RE Germany ($25)

Also, if super rare sticks get traded into the Box Pass (valuations above $100), I will not be sticking to exact values, but will do my best to ensure a reasonable assessment of rarity and value is kept to when evaluating trades.  If someone puts in a Bolivar Armonia RE or PL Magnificos RE (for example), those cigars are just as available to the next folks in the pass as any other cigar – but you will need to put in more than a PL Robusto RE to get it.

• Like 3

FOH CAN/US BOX PASS 2017 PARTICIPANTS
CANADA
1. Ramrod918
2. Garnett
3. Onsto
4. treberty
5. Shlomo
6. ComancheKeen
7. havanaclub
8. ChrisMG
9. CanuckSARTech
USA
10. ChefBoyRG54
11. zulubravo
12. CatchNRelease
13. Nekhyludov
14. joeypots
15. Erm310mce
16. Tave1225
17. ehdg
18. dizedean
19. zeedubbya
20. Knilas
21. jsummers157
22. Newkarian
23. Boosted
24. SloppyJ
25. khomeinist
26. Boopdeep
27. jacktarnold
28. joshb
29. Charley
30. Notsocleaver
31. topdiesel
32. fabes
33. Lotusguy

• Like 3

Excellent posts Chris! I think you've covered everything. Well done bro.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Guest Nekhyludov

Many thanks for organizing this! That's a hell of a lot of effort on your part, and much appreciated.

Email is on it's way. 

Sounds great but I think i have to back out.  I don't have enough different varieties.  Please add me next time we do this.  I will start looking for more RE and EL cigars as well.  Looks like an awesome idea.  Have fun guys as I will be watching from the sidelines.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys - please understand - the participant list is not finalised yet - I'd suggest holding off on sending your address until I can confirm you're in the pass. I just want to avoid high hopes if I can't include you!

Also - I have forgotten the "Turn of the Millennium" Rule. I will update the post above.

17. Cigars from 1999 are prohibited. Cigars from 2000 and 2001 can be present in the box pass, but no more than 5 cigars from these years combined at any one time. Any cigars into the pass from 2000 and 2001 must be from a box that you've recently smoked from, and you can confirm that they have not exhibited significant construction  or taste issues.

This rule is to ensure that the prevalence of plugged/tasteless cigars from 2000/2001 is mitigated. Yes, I know there is many cigars from those years that were rolled exceptionally and have aged very well, I have some myself!  Thats why we can have a few in the pass.  Again, it comes down to trust - if you put cigars in the Box Pass, remember that your reputation is on the line if you pass in cigars that you know are lousy/plugged smokes.

7 minutes ago, Wertman said:

Sounds great but I think i have to back out.  I don't have enough different varieties.  Please add me next time we do this.  I will start looking for more RE and EL cigars as well.  Looks like an awesome idea.  Have fun guys as I will be watching from the sidelines.

Understood mate. Sorry to lose you, but I appreciate your honesty, and I will definitely ensure you're in the loop if/when I run another pass!

Thanks for organizing! I can see this is a lot of work for you.  Very much appreciated.  Rules appear clear and well thought out.  Looking forward to participating. 

Awesome work here Chris.  Rules look very well thought out.  Thank you for putting this together.  

-Z

Have participated in this with Chris before. Absolutely awesome. Made an error in packing a large, boxed cigar wrong and it died. I learned my lesson from this a few years ago. Passing it on.

Have a fantastic time guys!

CB

Thanks for organizing this!

Just one thing I was wondering; with summer vacations around the corner should participants give you a heads up if they know they are likely to be away at some point?  I would hate to slow down the pass for a couple of weeks...

Really looking forward to it.

13 minutes ago, treberty said:

Thanks for organizing this!

Just one thing I was wondering; with summer vacations around the corner should participants give you a heads up if they know they are likely to be away at some point?  I would hate to slow down the pass for a couple of weeks...

Really looking forward to it.

This is a really good point - once the participant list is prepared, I will also release a tentative Box Pass route and schedule, and will identify roughly when each member can expect the pass to come their way.  That way, they can confirm if they will be away from home at that time or not, and we'll amend the schedule as necessary.

29 minutes ago, canadianbeaver said:

Have participated in this with Chris before. Absolutely awesome. Made an error in packing a large, boxed cigar wrong and it died. I learned my lesson from this a few years ago. Passing it on.

Have a fantastic time guys!

CB

Thanks CB - I was wondering if you were going to join us again this time!  Hopefully if we run it again next year, you'll be able to jump back in.

8 hours ago, fabes said:

Looks great although no hopes of trading for du rois. 

Don't worry mate, you'll be okay. If the Du Rois you're thinking of are anything like the last 4 or 5 I've had (lousy lousy tasteless drab sticks)....you ain't missing much LOL

• Like 1

How many Guantanamera would it take to get the Diplo Bushido? I have 2 Guants, but they are easily 7 years old and have not been in a humidor since I got them. Diplo Bushido and some Lebanon RE in exchange for 2 well aged and never humidified Guants. They even come in a stunning clear plastic tube! Bet very few of you guys have Guants in your collections.  Here is your chance!

• Like 2

7 year aged Guantanameras?  Damn, they must be crazy good by now!  I'm sure the luxury clear plastic tube sealed perfectly and kept the top-quality tobacco in the best condition!

<_<:cofcig:

I figured it went without saying, folks- but no Guantanameras or JLPs in the Box Pass. I don't think I'm including anything that would be that far down the valuation range so as to make an even trade for them regardless (Cherry-Flavoured Backwoods? White Owls from the 7-11?) :rotfl:

• Like 1

Looks good to me. The side  trade rule, #15, is a new twist on a box trade to me. With a large group it seems to complicate the pass and add weight to the box. May be it isn't a big enough issue to consider, but I'd ask people to pay the 7$ shipping and keep their private trades private.