THE SOUR TOE COCKTAIL IS A REAL THING & SOMEONE JUST STOLE "THE TOE"

MIKA27

SOMETHING GROSS FOR YOU ALL: I'm Sick Of The Damn Toe

prsaxdikzktbihjbrk1v.png

There is news, fake news and Weird Viral News. That last category includes treats such as the story about the Italian court that ruled live lobsters should not be frozen before they're boiled to death because it causes too much suffering, or the one about the dead bat found in a bag of salad, or anything that happens in Florida.

This is the stuff that lights up your social media feed in waves. You see it once when the news breaks. And you see it again as the people who were getting coffee when it was first tweeted out come back. Then you see it another time as the late adopters and people with like, lives and stuff, post the same damn article over and over again. Finally, two days later, someone's mum puts it on Facebook, and you're ready to die.

Most of the time, that's fine, if mildly exhausting in the way that only the internet content cycle can be. You can't get that mad about seeing the same bear who walks on his hind legs too many times, and if you do, you're the weirdo and it's time to log off.

But not with this story. The weird news du jour is genuinely driving me insane. As you've no doubt seen on your own feeds, a man in Canada is on the run with a mummified toe he stole from a bar that sells a stupid gross drink with a toe in it.

It has everything one of these story needs. Colourful, quirky, faintly adorable quotes from locals:

"I'm really attached to that toe," Lee told the National Post from the bar on Monday night. "He's in deep trouble."

An absurd sense of importance attached to the most inconsequential thing, a delightful contrast that momentarily distracts us from the genuine misery surrounding us:

A man walked into a bar on Saturday night and walked out with a human toe worth $80,000. He is now being hunted by the police.

[...]

In Dawson, this is no small act of mischief. "(The toe) is an institution in Dawson," Lee said. "When someone frigs around with it, there goes our institution."

And an incredibly gross picture that begs to be shared:

mi-sourtoe

How the f@*k is this drink even legal? Aren't there... I dunno, like licensing laws for handling corpse chunks?

And shared it was. Not only was this shrivelled digit all over Twitter today and various other social media, it was shared not once, not twice, but thrice, even at work.

The worst part about this? I already knew about the toe, as it was featured in a 2010 episode of QI, a British panel show that has soothed me through most of the migraines and hangovers I've had in the past 10 years. The toe news wasn't even news to me.

I am tired of hearing about the toe. I do not want to see, nor read, nor be told about the toe anymore. Thank god we can all avoid it here on the forum... :lookaround:

I read that the toe was sent back to the bar along with a apology letter - how touching.

I remember going to a rum bar in Marseille - in the old port.  One of the bottles contained a viper.  It was really gross.  Aparently back in the days shepperds would drown a viper in a full bottle of alcohol: the snake would then release its venim and the shepperds would become immune to it by drinking the ''venimized'' alcohol.  All that to say that when one has had a bit too much to drink one is willing to drink rum with snake scales in it.

Since there is not much to do in Yukon I'm sure the gross toe touches a lot of lips!

• Like 1

Probably most people haven't seen the show, but Canadian Pickers went to the Yukon and tried it on TV.

Its a show about buying and selling antiques. Both the guys from the show tried it, at the bar. quite funny and disgusting to see, all at the same time!!

Gets put in a shot of choice, do the shot, and kiss the toe!!

• Like 1