3 Day Trip To Cuba

Customsfan

Went to Cuba for three days only. 

No problems with paper work or visa on the way there.

Going there, the flight was a little rough.  Coming back it was very bumpy.  I'm talking about air sickness.  Not being able to get up and go to the bathroom.  Don't' know if that is common for this time of year.  Maybe someone who travels this route more often knows.

Taxi was 40 CUC going to the casa particular from the airport.  30 CUC to go to the airport coming home.

Weather: Rained every day.  But then would clear up.  It was actually pretty cool outside. 

Stayed at a Casa Particular.  It was nice.   We stayed in Old Habana.  Turns out, the travel book said that we stayed in the poorest part of Habana.

Food:  Most people I spoke to said they hated it.  My wife and I liked it.  We ate street food mostly.  Just looked for places that had long lines and looked clean.  Guess that's not for everybody. We ate pizza, spaghetti, sandwiches, rice, coffee.  Fresh fruit, bread, eggs every morning.  The flan was my wife's favorite.   Went to eat at a place that had high ratings on a popular travel site.  They tried to keep 10 CUC change.  That was the only time I felt someone actually tried to take advantage.

Went to LCDH at Partagas LCDH at Calle Industria #520, Centro Habana.  Went there three days in a row.  Wanted to get customs from La China.  Never saw her.  They said that she had no leaf to roll.

Went to see Yolanda Medina: Hotel Melia Habana LCDH at 3ra Ave. between Calle 76 & 80, Bought a couple of her customs.  Grabbed a couple of pyramids. She's a very reserved lady.  Nice.  Wish I would have taken a picture of an ashtray there.  There were customs in the ashtrays not even half smoked.  Some of the cigars not even a quarter smoked.  The big vitlolas.. The salomon and behike types .  By the way, those were behind the cashier's counter.  You had to ask for those.

Went to see Alejandro Gonzalez Arias: Hotel Comodoro Cigar Shop at 3ra Ave. & Calle 84, Playa.  That was a great experience.  Very friendly  We spoke for a little while.  Very nice guy.  Bought some of his "Princes."  I would definitely recommend his spot.

Went to see Juanita Ramos Guerra: Hotel Melia Cohiba LCDH, at Paseo Ave. between Calle 1 & 3, Vedado.  What a warm, sweet lady.  She joked around with my wife.  I reached for some of her robustos.  I told her I was looking for something more "suave."  She gave me something different.  Something called "Magico."  Another spot I liked a lot.

Someone in another string said if you see something you like, get it.   Don't wait.  That's true.  Wanted to do most of my buying on the last day I was there.  Stores that had what I wanted on the first day I was there sold out when I went back a day later.

I found the price list "YUL" to be pretty accurate.

I didn't buy a lot of cigars.  On a budget.  But had no problems coming back through customs.  They did not ask for receipts. 

Will post pics when customs come out of the freezer.

Thanks to everyone who so willing gave info about their trips.  Made my trip more enjoyable.

R

• Like 2

I haven't tried one yet.  Just got back the other day and put them in the freezer.  Also, there were only a few by the time I got there.  Had to leave a couple in the cabinet as they were damaged. 

Didn't smoke the entire time there.  Seemed like it would be a waste. 

On 6/22/2017 at 10:09 AM, craigcigars said:

Didn't smoke the entire time there.  Seemed like it would be a waste. 

Man, it seemd like every cigar I had in Havana was amazing. Something about just being there. Sounds like you had a great trip!