Cigars in Victoria, BC

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/jack-knox-shifting-u-s-policy-has-cigar-sellers-on-edge-1.20692241

Interesting, an article about my local Cigar B&Ms here in Victoria, BC.

What's fascinating is Old Morris's Manager confirming that "100%" of their business goes to Cruise-ship tourists.  I don't know any local cigar smokers whatsoever that patronise that business.  I shopped there many years ago but their prices skyrocketed, shelf stock plummeted and customer service cratered. I bought my first Cuban Cigar ever there (Sancho Panza Sanchos), but i'd never buy there again. All clerks are working on commission and immediately point you to Cohibas, as if the rest of the humidor doesn't exist.  It's entirely unshocking that they have pivoted their business completely to tourists.  A shame too, because it's a historic property with lots of potential.

Goodfellas and Cubar Cigar Shop are the better B&Ms.  Goodfellas has good events (Hamlet had a great event there last fall that I attended) and Cuban Cigar Shop has the best selection (so many REs!), nicest owner (Aemon is a pleasure to chat with) and the best prices.  

Of course, no Canadian B&M's prices come close to Czar's pricing so I'll never buy a box in Canada, but I still like to buy a single or two from a local B&M when I can.  

28 minutes ago, Isaac said:

My cruise went to Victoria and the two shops I researched were closed. I believe I went into Old Morris and was not really impressed with the selection. 

Yeah, those humidor shelves you saw in the walk-in used to be chock-full of cigars, each box different. It was like that when I bought that Sanchos. Now? There's like a foot or two between boxes, and nothing but bone-standard Cohiba/Montes.  

28 minutes ago, ChanceSchmerr said:

Yeah, those humidor shelves you saw in the walk-in used to be chock-full of cigars, each box different. It was like that when I bought that Sanchos. Now? There's like a foot or two between boxes, and nothing but bone-standard Cohiba/Montes.  

The store itself had quite a bit of charm.  My stupid cruise had a disembark time of 1900.  I dont know why stores wouldnt be open later during cruise season.  Most of the stores and restaurants were closed, and walking around only pissed me off the more I went searching.  

• Like 1

I’m definitely a statistic straight out of the article. I smoked my first Cuban there last summer when our cruise ship made a quick stop at the end of an Alaskan cruise. It docked in the afternoon so I had to make a B-line to Old Morris, as all the other shops were closed already. Despite the shelves being quite sparse, I ended up having the most sublime cigar experience. I bought 2 CoRos, a Trini Coloniales, and a PSP2. They lit me up right at the door and pointed me towards the harbor, where I sat and watched the sun set in pretty spectacular fashion, thoroughly enjoying a mind-blowing Cohiba Robusto. It was an experience I’ll never forget.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Islandboy said:

I’m definitely a statistic straight out of the article. I smoked my first Cuban there last summer when our cruise ship made a quick stop at the end of an Alaskan cruise. It docked in the afternoon so I had to make a B-line to Old Morris, as all the other shops were closed already. Despite the shelves being quite sparse, I ended up having the most sublime cigar experience. I bought 2 CoRos, a Trini Coloniales, and a PSP2. They lit me up right at the door and pointed me towards the harbor, where I sat and watched the sun set in pretty spectacular fashion, thoroughly enjoying a mind-blowing Cohiba Robusto. It was an experience I’ll never forget.

That sounds like a perfect experience - I'm happy to hear that!  I love having a cigar down by the harbour here in the summer, it is a great downtown for strolling with a cigar. It's just unfortunate that the other cigar shops were closed, but in the end I don't think you could have had a better time.

Just next time maybe drop me a line if you're in town LOL.  I'm rarely free these days but I try my best if I can!

• Like 1

My Daughter lives in Victoria and when I visit her I always like to stop in at Goodfellas. Love the atmosphere and while I don't buy a box at our stupid Canuck prices usually grab a stick or two I haven't had in a while. Not at all surprised that cruise ship passengers are such primary clients. Also the case in Cigar Conniseurs in Vancouver's Gastown 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, puromaniac said:

My Daughter lives in Victoria and when I visit her I always like to stop in at Goodfellas. Love the atmosphere and while I don't buy a box at our stupid Canuck prices usually grab a stick or two I haven't had in a while. Not at all surprised that cruise ship passengers are such primary clients. Also the case in Cigar Conniseurs in Vancouver's Gastown 

Cigar Connoisseurs used to be great, they had SLR Petit Coronas and Punch Super Seleccion No. 1s back in the day!  Not so much anymore.....

20 hours ago, vintagerodshop said:

I love the atmosphere in that shop. I agree the prices and selection leave a little to be desired. I got into traditional shaving from that store however. I stop in when ever i get over to the Island.

It's true, they do have a good selection of Men's accessories, lots of humidors, etc.  They are just always so pushy with the commission-working staff..