New to CC's, Try the Sampler?

I was looking at picking up a sampler from a reputable supplier, and as this forum was recommended to me, I figured I would try here first. I plan on researching some of this in more detail, but for some background, I smoke mostly medium to full NC's almost exclusively, rarely dabbling in the lighter waters. Would the sampler listed in the forums be a good one for me to try? Or should I try to construct a more focused sample stick by stick with the focus in medium/full?

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, wabashcr said:

You'll need to recalibrate your ideas of "medium" and "full" when moving to CCs.  Cuba doesn't do anything that I would consider stronger than a solid medium by NC standards.  You trade strength for complexity and better flavors, generally.  CCs don't need to overpower you to hold your attention.  Try some and you'll see.

I fully agree with @wabashcr.  If you're going to delve into CCs, go into it with a totally open mind.  Trying to fit your CC experience within the confines of your taste for NCs is IMO a bad plan.    

Order a sampler from the Int. Store (see link in the green banner at top of page), possibly two samplers if you are so inclined.  Let the sticks acclimate for about a month in your home humidor, dig in and enjoy.  Note which sticks you like, which ones you don't and the reasons why.  That should provide a good road map going forward if you decide to continue your journey.  Good luck!  Keep us posted.  :2thumbs:

• Like 1

All good suggestions. But a very important one is to lower the rH in your humidor to between 60-65% rH for CC storage.  I think some research here on the archives of this forum will explain why you should do that.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stogieluver said:

All good suggestions. But a very important one is to lower the rH in your humidor to between 60-65% rH for CC storage.  I think some research here on the archives of this forum will explain why you should do that.  

Ok sounds like a plan, thanks for the quick responses! I have a humidor I keep at 64 and one I keep at 70, so I will make some room.

Just gonna double down on the "full" thing. I'm so far out of the NC game and have been for years, but if you've been on the Fuente Opus/Padron/LFD train, the closest you're going to get to "full" are smoking some RyJPC or Upmanns when they're young.

Havanas have straight up changed me to prefer mild strength, mild/mid-bodied, full-flavored sticks like those made by Por Larrañaga and Trinidad. I love RyJPC and Upmanns, but only after time has tempered the strength (and matured the flavors).

I also typically recommend Bolivars as possibly being the closest Havanas get to a classic Nicaraguan taste (although Bolis are much, much better!)

Welcome to the dark side:party:!

I was a lot like you.  I seemed to gravitate the the full flavor profiles of the NCs.  I can attest to CCs having a upper mid at best for the most part.  What you gain though is a much more complex flavor profile that has been a fun journey to learn and sample more of.  One thing I have enjoyed are the creamy flavors a lot of CCs seem to have over their NC counterparts.  I would have never thought I would have been as much of a fan as I am.  Get a sampler or two before diving in and spending money on any boxes. Don't jump on any double banded ones off the bat.  Learn the nuances of some of the marcas first.   Welcome to the forum!

I agree getting a sampler is a good way to get into it. I would also suggest though that you really need to try at least 2 or 3 of each stick to get a true sense of whether you like it or not. CC's are less consistent than NC's on the whole so your sampling size needs to be greater to adjust for that IMO.

9 hours ago, dicko said:

I agree getting a sampler is a good way to get into it. I would also suggest though that you really need to try at least 2 or 3 of each stick to get a true sense of whether you like it or not. CC's are less consistent than NC's on the whole so your sampling size needs to be greater to adjust for that IMO.

That is a little concerning... I smoke cigars to relax, and one of the highest criteria are consistency and quality. If I have to put down my book, or stop a conversation to futz with the burn, or I get wildly different flavors than what I am trying to get... it would take me out of the moment of enjoying the cigar.

I'll admit my palate is limited, but I do know when I enjoy something. Hopefully I can find something that is consistent in quality and flavor.

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shale said:

That is a little concerning... I smoke cigars to relax, and one of the highest criteria are consistency and quality. If I have to put down my book, or stop a conversation to futz with the burn, or I get wildly different flavors than what I am trying to get... it would take me out of the moment of enjoying the cigar.

I'll admit my palate is limited, but I do know when I enjoy something. Hopefully I can find something that is consistent in quality and flavor.

Thanks!

Order from our host.  There are no guarantees with CCs (or any other cigars for that matter), but having someone select the cigars for you definitely increases your chances of getting good sticks.  

I also like to smoke cigars to relax, but sometimes taking the time to just focus on the smoke can enhance your enjoyment of the hobby.  When the cigar is more of an afterthought, you can miss out on some of the complexity and nuance that makes it special. Everyone has their own ideas about this, but I find a nice balance works best for me.

2 minutes ago, wabashcr said:

Order from our host.  There are no guarantees with CCs (or any other cigars for that matter), but having someone select the cigars for you definitely increases your chances of getting good sticks.  

I also like to smoke cigars to relax, but sometimes taking the time to just focus on the smoke can enhance your enjoyment of the hobby.  When the cigar is more of an afterthought, you can miss out on some of the complexity and nuance that makes it special. Everyone has their own ideas about this, but I find a nice balance works best for me.

This is great advice.  I've found with Cuban cigars you want to focus more on the cigar itself and will find them enhancing your experiences. I'll give you 3 recent examples.  

1.)  I was playing golf with some buddies and brought along a RYJ Capuletos.  About 1/3 of the way into the cigar I said out loud "wow this is a fantastic cigar".  Way more than I was expecting.  It really enhanced the back 9 for me--put me in a much better mood.  Enhanced the whole experience.  

2.) The first time I ever smoked a Bushidos (nearly 2 years ago now) was with a good friend and he and I were having a great conversation, but the cigar took hold of us.  We were both stunned a young cigar could be so good. All we could talk about for the next 2 hours. They are truly special.  

3.) Couple weeks ago was having a bad week and a great friend said I should smoke an 06 Bolivar Coronas Extra.  I smoked that cigar in relative solitude and it was incredible.  I didn't want to be on my phone, read a book, talk to anyone.    Made me have faith in the whole world again.  Sounds a bit dramatic, but the 2 hours spent with that cigar were exactly what I needed.  

I have never had the above experiences with Non Cuban cigars.  Consistently Padrón's, MyFather, Illusione, Tatuaje are excellent cigars and day in day out they will give you consistency.  However when you smoke those truly special Cubans there is nothing like them.  Nothing.  That's what I chase.  I would smoke through 20 poorly rolled, horrible tasting Cubans to get that one experience like those cigars above.  If you want consistently ok cigars stay with Non Cubans.  If you want to experience the best cigar of your life--jump on this crazy train ASAP.  

• Like 2