Upmann Connoisseur 1 vs A

Hey guys,

I've done some searching and wasn't able to find a thread about comparing the two. I get that Connies are a different line and therefore flavor from Magnum. But I'm curious how the 1 differs from the A as I'm looking at investing in a box.

I've tried the 1 and have really enjoy the graham cracker & coffee flavor but have not tried an A yet.

Thanks!

You will overwhelmingly hear that the A is better than the 1.  I have had only one A but it didn't live up to its legendary status for me.  I need to sample more of them.  But for the price, the 1 is one of my favorites when quality is high (HU quality is usually high). 

• Like 2

Have never had a love for the #1.  It is a fine cigar but maybe I have never had a good one.  Had a fine one but not a good or great one.  The Connie A has always been a stellar cigar until the other day.  Wind tunnel.  I will not judge it on that account since the other 7 have been fantastic.  Just a one off I guess.

Max @PadronFan - last year I had a Connie A which out classed any CoRo I've had to date. Get some to try, I promise you'll enjoy them hence was pushing for that box split with you the other day ;) 

I still love the Connie 1 that I've had but for my palate the Connie A is a better cigar (but then it should be for the price difference!)

• Like 3

As with Mag 46, most Connie 1s I've had have benefitted hugely from a bit of age. I have 2011 cabs of both, and, while different flavour-wise, there is a rich creaminess to both.

My Connie A cab is younger, but that creaminess has been there from the get-go.

• Like 3

Max @PadronFan - last year I had a Connie A which out classed any CoRo I've had to date. Get some to try, I promise you'll enjoy them hence was pushing for that box split with you the other day  

I still love the Connie 1 that I've had but for my palate the Connie A is a better cigar (but then it should be for the price difference!)

Haha fair enough. Lets do the next split then

Strongly prefer the Connie 1 with 5+ years of age as they have that Upmann character I've grown to like - shortbread/graham, coffee, leather turning to cream and a complex explosion on the finish. Some are flat, most are not in my experience.

The A is too much like the Magnums to me. Of the As I've had, I've typically found myself wishing I had smoked a PC or Connie 1 instead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, earthson said:

Strongly prefer the Connie 1 with 5+ years of age as they have that Upmann character I've grown to like - shortbread/graham, coffee, leather turning to cream and a complex explosion on the finish. Some are flat, most are not in my experience.

I do like the H.Upmann Connossieur A, but this is so true of aged H.Upmann Connoisseur No.1 in general, in my opinion.

• Like 2

I recently tried my first Connie A and immediately my reaction was "what took me so long?" Maybe it was the premium over the 1 that made me wait. Love the cream and profile close to Sir Winston. I smoked half a box quickly and ordered more. 

I also love Connie 1s with age, but if I had to chose I'd pick the A all day long right now. 

• Like 2

The big difference  to me is the A"s smoke good out of the box, few months to acclimate and go. The 1"s in my opinion need time. That being said, both are great cigars. I tend to like the size of the A, 

• 1 year later...

The Connie A is richer, and more complex. My last connie 1 I got cream, nuts and cake. Connie A I got cream, nuts, spice, stone fruit, anise and cake. I LOVE the connie 1 and I will smoke more of them than Connie A's due to the connie A being $5 more expensive per stick, but the Connie A is the better stick. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 3:07 PM, HoyoFan said:

Hey guys,

I've done some searching and wasn't able to find a thread about comparing the two. I get that Connies are a different line and therefore flavor from Magnum. But I'm curious how the 1 differs from the A as I'm looking at investing in a box.

HF here's a thread for you. Not sure if it will give you the comparison you're looking for. Nevertheless...

For my money... Connie A is the best regular production cigar out of Cuba today. I own 5 boxes and if I see any pretty ones in Cuba I'll jump on them too. Two things haven't failed me yet out of Cuba... Anything Trinidad. Connie As.