Boveda Packs Robbing Cigars of Oils??

Edrock80

Hey,

So I recently bought some Custom Rolls from local guy. He told me that they like higher humidity levels...72RH. I told him I'm using Bovedas in my Wineador...He said to get rid of em...Something about Boveda using a newer solution with some salts or something that Rob cigars of their natural oils. I searched around online and on this forum a bunch and didn't find anything on the matter. Has anyone else heard anything about this? Can anyone present evidence that Bovedas are ore aren't robbing cigars of their natural oils?

Thanks!

E

I've never heard this, what I would do if I were you is ask Boveda personally about this via Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. They are pretty approachable, and as small of a community we are and how fast word travels, I'm sure they would want to hear this from their customers and not from the media, and they can curb this issue quickly if not true.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You really don't have to go far to find an expert on 'something.'

If cigar oils are volatile, then they are likely on kept in equilibrium via vapor pressure, just like rH. Why don't you ask your vendor what vapor pressure of volatile cigar oils are necessary to prevent the evaporation....? Then ask him if he sells 'tobacco oils' to add to your humidor to supplement the pressure...!

I am giving you intentionally stupid but technically correct questions to ask, because you have been fed a line of bullshit!

Frankly, if the oils make a difference at all in the taste of the cigar, and this guy likely does not know if they do or don't, they are likely large molecules that will not pass the membrane of the Bovida pack.

Have you asked yourself why the Bovida does not just leak out water? It is because of a semi-permeable membrane. To add to your questions, you might ask him how many angstroms his particular brand of tobacco oil measures? Simple light gasses will typically pass these membranes while more complex ones will not.

Better yet, tell him you are worried if his volatile oils will clog the membrane on your Bovida pack... and return the cigars. Tell him, based on his advice, that his cigars sound like dirty cigars that 'pollute' too much and you would prefer cleaner Cuban cigars!!!

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 4

14 hours ago, PigFish said:

You really don't have to go far to find an expert on 'something.'

If cigar oils are volatile, then they are likely on kept in equilibrium via vapor pressure, just like rH. Why don't you ask your vendor what vapor pressure of volatile cigar oils are necessary to prevent the evaporation....? Then ask him if he sells 'tobacco oils' to add to your humidor to supplement the pressure...!

I am giving you intentionally stupid but technically correct questions to ask, because you have been fed a line of bullshit!

Frankly, if the oils make a difference at all in the taste of the cigar, and this guy likely does not know if they do or don't, they are likely large molecules that will not pass the membrane of the Bovida pack.

Have you asked yourself why the Bovida does not just leak out water? It is because of a semi-permeable membrane. To add to your questions, you might ask him how many angstroms his particular brand of tobacco oil measures? Simple light gasses will typically pass these membranes while more complex ones will not.

Better yet, tell him you are worried if his volatile oils will clog the membrane on your Bovida pack... and return the cigars. Tell him, based on his advice, that his cigars sound like dirty cigars that 'pollute' too much and you would prefer cleaner Cuban cigars!!!

Cheers! -Piggy

3 angstrom or bust!

Thanks all who responded! Boveda was nice enough to respond to this question via email and I wanted to share the response on here.

Hi Eddie!

You're right when you said you couldn't find anything on it - Boveda doesn't rob the cigar oils.  Boveda releases and absorbs moisture as needed according to the RH on the pack and the environment its in and actually helps the cigar release it's oils and maintain it's flavor and richness.  

I found this article that has a great explanation on the workings of how moisture and humidity affects your cigars.  http://www.newair.com/articles/how-moisture-and-humidity-affect-your-cigars/

The only way that cigars will be robbed of their natural oils is if they're evaporated from being in an environment that is too dry.  I hope that helps!

Best,
Rebecca 

If Boveda is quoting Newair... I now know that they know nothing about storing cigars! That site is full of misinformation and falsehoods!

Whatever you do, next time you are sick, don't ask the receptionist from the ambulance company for diagnosis!!!

-Piggy

• Like 1

On 6/26/2017 at 8:11 PM, PigFish said:

If Boveda is quoting Newair... I now know that they know nothing about storing cigars! That site is full of misinformation and falsehoods!

Whatever you do, next time you are sick, don't ask the receptionist from the ambulance company for diagnosis!!!

-Piggy

:lol: