Sunday in the park

Habana Mike

JL Malecon and what they call a Sunday in the Park though it’s Monday on the deck ;)

dea8e33a-e797-4dff-815d-f6c419cb0d1b_zps

It’s a Bourbon and Lillet cocktail and since Lillet is made with citrus and slightly herbal, they wanted to find the best citrus and herbs to pair with it--which is how they devised this easy-drinking bourbon cooler. It's a good idea to double-strain this cocktail to get rid of any floating thyme bits. Don't leave out the thyme, in the drink itself or in the garnish--that's what makes this cocktail so compelling.

Instructions: In a cocktail shaker with ice, combine 1.5 ounces Lillet, 1.5 ounces of bourbon (they recommended Buffalo Trace, I used WL Weller), an ounce of fresh lemon juice, a dash of Angostura bitters, and a quarter-ounce of simple syrup (I used Agave syrup). Toss a full thyme sprig in there, too (nice my wife has a massive herb garden out back).

Shake hard, and double-strain - that is, through a fine mesh strainer, into a tall glass with fresh ice. 

Add an ounce or two of soda water to top it off and garnish with a new thyme sprig.

Fantastic! The smoke’s pretty great too. Rich and full, spice and wood - not showing much youth for just a couple years old.

• Like 2