Cigars postcards

Guest ripper

Guest ripper

Have been collecting vintage postcards since 1970. I would like to share an occasional card from my cigars collection and scans.

Here is a beauty from the Cuba Propaganda Commission Pavilion at the 1939 World's Fair in New York. Have attached the postcard back, though it has album damage.

Cuba Propaganda Commission, 1939 NY World's Fair.jpg

Cuba NY World's Fair back.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great postcard! That's Enrique Mons. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool postcards! I have been collecting cigar billheads from the late 1800s to the early 1900s for quite a while.  These are basically invoices from tobacco manufacturers/wholesalers to tobac

"Cuba is a good neighbor"  thats awesome.  Hope we get back there someday.

Guest ripper

A maxim chrome postcard, with a postage stamp and Habanos S.A. seal from Cubatabaco's annual festival in Havana. This fella probably has enough smokes for the holiday weekend.

Antilles tobacco festival.jpg

Guest ripper
Cuba's National Commission for Propaganda and Defence of Havana Tobacco published this postcard in 1938. The graphic also ran as an ad in the Dec. 10, 1938 New York Times.
The campaign noted that cigars promoted concentration, relaxation and peace.

New-York-Times10-Dec-1938-Have-a-Cigar.jpg

Guest ripper

La Corona Cigar Factory is shown to the left of the former Presidential Palace on Avenida Belgica in Havana in this 1930 B&W real photo postcard.

La Corona was home to such fabled brands as Romeo y Julieta, Hoyo de Monterrey, Cuaba, Por Larrañaga, Saint Luis Rey, San Cristóbal de la Habana, and Montecristo.

Havana - Corona Cigars factory and Capitol c. 1930.jpg

Guest ripper

This 1924 white border postcard published by Curt Teich Co. of Chicago shows rollers in a Tampa factory.

You can see the lector (reader) in upper right corner. Sitting up by the ceiling had to be a sweltering job in pre-AC days.

1924 factory interior.jpg

Guest ripper

A wonderfully clear interior circa 1915 of Martin Bros. Cigar Store in Waterloo IA. Beautiful cash register and terrazzo floor.
The owner was Hope C. Martin, a Waterloo entrepreneur married to a woman with the glorious name of Mayme A. Baro. Hope Martin had a wholesale candy and tobacco business in Waterloo. He owned 22 buildings, many farms and properties in Black Hawk County IA. There is a park and a theatre named for him in Waterloo. The park was camp site of the Pottawattomie, Fox, Sioux, Winnebago and Sac Indians. 
I worked at Comer's Cigar Store in Iowa City when I was a U of Iowa student. Would have loved to spend a few hours smoking and talking to the folks at Martin Bros. store. Then I would miss air conditioning and cable TV and want to return to now.

Martin Bros. cigar store, Waterloo IA, 1915.jpg

Guest ripper

Billy and Joseph Bott had a restaurant, saloon, billiard parlor and cigar counter on North High Street in Columbus OH. It opened in 1905. Here is a delectable postcard of their cigars operation.
The location is home today to Elevator Brewery & Draft Haus www.elevatorbrewing.com 

Bott Bros., Columbus OH 1910.jpg

Guest ripper

A 1915 postcard for Vega del Rey, clear Havana cigars made by S.H. Furgatch Co. of New York.
Plus an outer box label for this brand.

Vega Del Rey cigars.jpg

s-l1600.jpg