What to buy while in Havana

Riverstyx

Hi guys,

Newbie here from Jacksonville, FL.  Heading to Cuba this weekend, and I've been reading up on this site about what to expect, but I'm curious: If you went to Havana, what one cigar (box) would you regret not purchasing.  Assuming you come across it, of course.  I'm fairly new to this whole CC thing, so while I'm familiar with what a lot of people like, I still want to make sure I don't have any regrets as this is likely the only time I go to Cuba. 

If you feel like sharing any other special tips, feel free.  I'll be there for only 4 days, and staying at the Kempinski.  Anyone heard anything about the Cohiba Atmosphere shop there?  

Thanks in advance

I would highly recommend custom rolls.  There is a thread somewhere in this section that discusses where to get them as well as the rollers to look for.  As for a box of regular production, maybe something that has been thin on the ground in the retail sector.  Maybe some Cuban RE (Regional Editions specifically for Cuba).

Enjoy your trip and be sure to post an intro of yourself in the Newbie Intro section.

Thanks.  Yeah, I've been reading up on custom rolls.  

I'm trying to think of packing these bad boys...if I don't have room in my suitcase for everything I buy, will it be easy to purchase another bag in Havana that I can check?

Bring a soft bag with and pack it in your suitcase on the inland journey (try to only do carry on as the airport can be a nightmare).

On the return put all your cloths in the soft bag and check your original bag with sticks. Bring some tupaware containers to pack them in.

Bring a soft bag with and pack it in your suitcase on the inland journey (try to only do carry on as the airport can be a nightmare).

On the return put all your cloths in the soft bag and check your original bag with sticks. Bring some tupaware containers to pack them in.

X2 I always flatten a duffle bag in my suitcase and or pack a pillow in my carry on and leave it behind thus leaving even more room for cigars. Not always a fan of some of the pillows there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to add in regarding cigars. If it was one box I would get H Upmann Sir Winnie's. A couple of us picked up great looking boxes in March.

• Like 1

I would be most interested in custom rolls or anything I couldn't normally get.
I wonder if there are locations that are littered with aged boxes. That too would be of high interest to me.
Safe travels, post some picks when you make it back!

On 6/28/2017 at 0:20 AM, luv2fly said:

I would highly recommend custom rolls.  There is a thread somewhere in this section that discusses where to get them as well as the rollers to look for.  As for a box of regular production, maybe something that has been thin on the ground in the retail sector.  Maybe some Cuban RE (Regional Editions specifically for Cuba).

Enjoy your trip and be sure to post an intro of yourself in the Newbie Intro section.

If I ever went this would be my route just a ton of custom rolls.  

Stopped by the Cohiba Atmosphere a few weeks ago.  All cigars there are overpriced compared to any LCDH.  Significant markup on everything and don't carry anything unique from what I saw.

12 minutes ago, Santiago said:

Stopped by the Cohiba Atmosphere a few weeks ago.  All cigars there are overpriced compared to any LCDH.  Significant markup on everything and don't carry anything unique from what I saw.

From the photos I've seen it's pretty bland.  Cohiba Atmo$phere eh?  Where luxury drains your wallet in the most efficient of ways

On 6/27/2017 at 2:20 PM, luv2fly said:

I wasn't seeing any Cuba REs in Cuba. Think they get too much for distributing them elsewhere. Seemed really ironic and also disappointing.

The one box I regretted was a box of Anejados I saw at the Hotel Park Central. I have never even thought about tasting them before and still don't have a desire to try them but the cigars in this particular box had plume as if they had been aged for decades. They were hard to not smoke on the spot.

They best value I did purchase was the RA Club Allones LE 2015. They are about $70 a box for what I think is a great cigar.

Well, we got back from Cuba yesterday.  It was awesome!  Below you can see my haul.  Unfortunately, no customs.  Also, Behikes and Montecristo no 2 were nowhere to be found.  

Most of the cigars came from the LCDH by the Partagas factory.  We stayed at the Kempinski...Cohiba Atmostphere was more expensive, but I'm not sure why.  They also lacked selection.  In fact, buying cigars from the tobacco lounge within the Kempinski was cheaper than Cohiba Atmosphere.  

When I came through customs on the way back, they asked if I had more than 100 cigars.  I didn't think there was a limit?  Anyway, I said no because it was split between my wife and I.  All clear.  

CC.JPG

• Like 4

Here is a link I found searching Freezing Cigars.  I have a regular home freezer so I left them for 6 days.  In the tread there is some data on freezer temp and time. Basically the colder the freezer, the less time needed. 

Let us know how you fair!

luv2fly, thanks for posting the link - that should be helpful.

Wertman, I had a great time.  We were with a group, so I didn't get to dictate everything we did or control my smoking there as much as I'd like.  I did smoke some though...RyJ half chur, Boli belicosos, several different COH (nothing special), monte #4, RyJ petit julieta and a fake Behike they gave me at a bar (it was all they had available there so I didn't mind; no band and it was only like 15 cucs).  Surprisingly, I really like the Monte #4 better than I would have expected.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Riverstyx said:

Surprisingly, I really like the Monte #4 better than I would have expected.

You are welcome!  Happy to help.  

The Monte 4 is an all time favorite of mine.  Don't have any at the moment but that will be rectified soon, I hope.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, uscmd310 said:

You won't find any aged boxes in Cuba. But right now there are tons of regionals and LE, SLR Marquez and LE Dantes. If you get lucky, you may find other LE but you have to know how to get them. 

Of course you can. Not always easy, just have to know where or how to look.