American English!???? AGGGGAHHHAHARRRR!!!!

This drives me absolutely insane. I do of course understand that one day in the far distant future we will all be using a mixture of all popular languages mashed together, (much like that used in Bladerunner) But, what I refuse to accept is American English. I've noticed friends of mine being infected by this, adding 'ability' or 'ization' on to words in some misplaced notion, that it makes them sound more technical/intelligent? sorry, the exact opposite is true.

I really don't understand the purpose of taking one language and diluting it, or dulling it's finer edges.  I've worked for organisations with Americans, (for English firms) and they have (almost like demented robots), repeatedly accessed the computers settings and switched them to American English. When questioned, it wasn't just because they preferred to do their work with these familiar settings (which would sort of be understandable) they actually thought it was superior or 'proper'.

Now, I'm not having a go at America, I know that never ends well, But come on people!! it's 'English'.

This is a great example of how altering the English language can make you sound like your insane.

"This has been driving me crazy for years. The word Burglar means someone who burgles. To burgle. I burgle. You burgle. The house was burgled. Why on earth then is there a word Burglarise, which presumably means to burgle. Does that mean there is such a thing as a Burglariser? Is there a crime of burglarisation? Instead of, you know, burgling?

One could take this to the ridiculous extent of, how open to being Burgled is your house?, or whats it's 'Burglarisationability'? AAGGAGAGAGAHAHAHHHHHHH!!!! KiIl Me!!!

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe the proper english is you're.

I've got to disagree with you. Language changes. You can't stop it, nor try to for futility's sake. Read an Old English manuscript from the 6th or 7th century and see how much sense you can get out

As a Scot, I object to the term "English". ?

Is this a serious post? The English language, grammar rules, spelling, pronunciation, definitions, and so on, vary between countries and regions.

Colour

Lieutenant 

Lift

Fag (this one will probably be blocked)

Variations on definitions, spelling and pronunciation.

Sorry the entire world can't all be like you.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Is this a serious post? The English language, grammar rules, spelling, pronunciation, definitions, and so on, vary between countries and regions.

Colour

Lieutenant 

Lift

Fag (this one will probably be blocked)

Variations on definitions, spelling and pronunciation.

Sorry the entire world can't all be like you.

My point is the descriptor 'American English' shouldn't exist.  I would have no issue with their being a language called 'American' that was based on 'English' where people use words like "Burglerisationability' thats fine.  My issue is, some of my American friends are trying to correct my English, with the bastardised version of 'American English', suggesting that the ENGLISH!!!!! language is incorrect??????  It's like someone pouring coke into your red wine, and telling you "it tastes better this way".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Williamos said:

I've got to disagree with you. Language changes. You can't stop it, nor try to for futility's sake. Read an Old English manuscript from the 6th or 7th century and see how much sense you can get out of it. Look at the very nature of English: the ultimate mash up of Norse, French, Latin, German, etc. A bitsy language if there ever was one. Word spelling, accepted meanings of words, accepted syntax and grammar, it's all in flux and when it stops, the language ossifies, then dies - like Latin, like Ancient Greek. What you find infuriating, is actually fascinating. It's the lifeblood of a living language. Regional variety keeps its heart strong.

Cheers mate
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree this the majority of this, but like my response to Shlomo, It's the term 'American English' that is difficult. Creativity in language is good if it's and improvement but, if adding to something degenerates it, thats an issue. Lots of additions attempt to increase clarity, but only succeed in making things less shorthand, or less clear. 

9 minutes ago, 99call said:

Ha! my Dyslexia is there to see, but not the point of the topic. Whats your opinion, I'd me interested to hear?. 

My thought is that there are variations and dialects of languages all over the world. Is the same spanish spoken throughout Spain? Mexican spanish? Cuban spanish? Etc....

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Colt45 said:

My thought is that there are variations and dialects of languages all over the world. Is the same spanish spoken throughout Spain? Mexican spanish? Cuban spanish? Etc....

Do you think a Cuban should try and correct a Spaniard on their use of Spanish?   I would suggest this is my point, I'm not having a go at anyone, or trying to suggest anyone is inferior, or superior, just that it's absolutely infuriating then my American friends try and correct my English with additions that have made no improvement to language whatsoever.  I respect they want to use American English, it's the insisting that American English is the correct use of English, which makes me feel like someone had slipped LSD in my drink.

• Like 1

Haha, if you get riled up by loose American English, wait until you are given a dose of Urban English.  I have no idea what they are saying, but they keep asking me "ya know what I'm sayin"...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, scap99 said:

Haha, if you get riled up by loose American English, wait until you are given a dose of Urban English.  I have no idea what they are saying, but they keep asking me "ya know what I'm sayin"...

Yep, This is painful!     I only found out the other day that the word "cakeage' has been added to the English Dictionary. 

'Cakeage'    The fee paid to a restaurant for having to handle a cake that hasn't been bought from them!!!!!    seriously!!??? why don't we all just f*cking walk around with clown shoes on?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, 99call said:

Do you think a Cuban should try and correct a Spaniard on their use of Spanish?

I suppose neither should try to correct or influence the other. But you're kind of losing me - it started as someone changing a computer setting to what seems to be something more. Regardless, resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 99call said:

Yep, This is painful!     I only found out the other day that the word "cakeage' has been added to the English Dictionary. 

'Cakeage'    The fee paid to a restaurant for having to handle a cake that hasn't been bought from them!!!!!    seriously!!??? why don't we all just f*cking walk around with clown shoes on?

Hell, they added phrases to the dictionary!

Throwing shade??? I suppose "casting a shadow" wasn't descriptive enough.

Side eye??? Is that a medical term or disease or what?

• Like 1

Meh. Plenty of countries using languages that originated in other countries. And almost all of them change over time.  How do you feel about Brazilian Portuguese? Québécois French? Swiss German? Argentine Spanish (very different from what I've heard)? 

I wouldn't sweat it.  Not like you're going to change anything!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

I suppose neither should try to correct or influence the other. But you're kind of losing me - it started as someone changing a computer setting to what seems to be something more. Regardless, resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

I believe you mean "irregardless, resistance is futile".

• Like 1

this post is very nearfetched.

it leaves me positively gruntled.

irregardless should be legitimized, as it means "not without regard to", however most people today cannot think on this level, let alone form cogent sentences.

the constant misuse of the simplest of words convinces me that education has failed a whole generation.

and stop blaming it all on Spelczheck........

• Like 4

Burglarize is kinda silly.  I prefer burgle, but it's definitely not common in the US.  There's no burglarization.  It's burglary.  And no burglarizers, still just burglars.  Yes there are some minor differences in how we speak the same language.  I suppose the Brits can rightfully claim the high ground here, since it's technically their language.  As an American I certainly would never try to argue that our version is in any way superior or correct.  But it certainly seems like an odd cause to care about.

• Like 1

Controversy.  But can we all agree:

1. Everyone would be driven crazy if someone else changes the language setting so that it tells you that the way you spell flavour/flavor or centre/center is incorrect.  

2. A living language will move in directions that will make purists puke, but new usages crop up and traditional ones get dropped because the world says it's the way it wants the language to be (and that includes the English).  I don't know anyone who depresses a button anymore; everyone presses the button.  And an instruction to depress the clutch almost guarantees a stall.

3. As regards Americanisms, well, it's soft power.  Until some Brit sells more trainers than Jordan, the world will buy sneakers. And they will buy them from a store, not a shop.  In a mall, not a shopping centre.  Or they may just burglarize them. 

• Like 4