"No-one smoke cigars in the street"discuss

I usually smoke a Monte 5, Divinos or HUHC on my way to Cub Scouts on a Wednesday evening but this week I had a RGPC, got through half of it and finished it on the walk home.

My wife for some reason this week objected to the fact that I had walked and smoked a cigar, despite the fact that I do this quite regularly. It's OK at home but no-one smokes a cigar walking in the street, she said. Only people smoking roll-ups smoke in the street. That's not how you should smoke a cigar.

I've clearly been doing this wrong for some time now, so where is it right or wrong to smoke a cigar I wonder...

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

?
  • Like 3

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends on whom you ask.  If you ask a Liberal/NannyStater, they will say nowhere.  You are killing yourself and your second hand smoke, no matter how diffuse, is killing everyone else.  If you ask me

Zino lost me at “Don’t smoke more than half the cigar”.  

Personally, I like to be in a pretty deep relaxed state when I enjoy a cigar, so I keep my exercise routine and cigar smoking completely separated. But there’s a guy who walks his dog every day on the

Smoking and walking was strictly verboten in the Army.  To this day I'm convinced a sergeant will magically appear to "correct" me if I should dare to try.  

• Like 2

I do the same, although Zino sez no: 

In 1967 Zino Davidoff outlined cigar etiquette for smokers in his noted essay for connoisseurs. It is a charter and code for cigar smokers everywhere, and it remains as valid today as when he first wrote it. Among his directives were the following do’s and don’ts.

Do warm the foot of the cigar slightly before starting to puff on it. Remove the band carefully after lighting the cigar. Take your time smoking it; a puff a minute is about right. Hold the cigar between your index finger and thumb. Let the cigar die a dignified death; after it’s smoked halfway, it will go out on its own. Dispose of the dead cigar discreetly and quickly. Wait at least fifteen minutes between cigars; anything less indicates obsessive behaviour. The important thing to remember is that we cigar aficionados should present ourselves as considerate and understanding individuals. Changing people’s preconceived notions and giving the growing numbers of aficionados a good name is well worth that little extra effort.

Don't use a penknife to cut or a lance to pierce the end of the cigar. Touch the flame directly to the foot of the cigar: Instead simply rotate it around the edge till it starts to burn, then puff lightly. Ask someone else for a light (‘The lighting of a cigar should be a personal affair’). Light your cigar too quickly or too slowly. Indulge in exhibitionism in lighting or any other aspect of smoking. Relight your cigar if less than one quarter of it is leaf. Put the cigar in your mouth to relight it. Just scrape off the ash and turn it in the flame for several seconds till it relights. Clench it between your teeth. Get the end of the cigar wet, chew It, slobber on it. Smoke too quickly. Use a cigar holder. Stick a toothpick or matchstick in the end of the cigar to help hold it in your mouth. Dunk your cigar in port or brandy, a habit attributed to Winston Churchill. Smoke while working. Hold a cigar between your index and middle finger. Smoke when you’re walking. Smoke more than half the cigar. Put the cigar out by crushing it in an ashtray. Chain-smoke cigars.

• Like 1

I really like the idea of walking with one, but in practice it is almost universally a disappointment. Not as relaxed, somewhat concerned with inconveniencing others, fighting wind and the burn gets wonky. 

Ultimately, your wife is correct

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PapaDisco said:

Don't use a penknife to cut or a lance to pierce the end of the cigar. Touch the flame directly to the foot of the cigar: Instead simply rotate it around the edge till it starts to burn, then puff lightly. Ask someone else for a light (‘The lighting of a cigar should be a personal affair’). Light your cigar too quickly or too slowly. Indulge in exhibitionism in lighting or any other aspect of smoking. Relight your cigar if less than one quarter of it is leaf. Put the cigar in your mouth to relight it. Just scrape off the ash and turn it in the flame for several seconds till it relights. Clench it between your teeth. Get the end of the cigar wet, chew It, slobber on it. Smoke too quickly. Use a cigar holder. Stick a toothpick or matchstick in the end of the cigar to help hold it in your mouth. Dunk your cigar in port or brandy, a habit attributed to Winston Churchill. Smoke while working. Hold a cigar between your index and middle finger. Smoke your cigar while walking. Smoke more than half the cigar. Put the cigar out by crushing it in an ashtray. Chain-smoke cigars.

I am going to disagree on the above recommendation. I like getting as much enjoyment/relaxation out of a cigar as possible.

My family have always been rather old-fashioned.  The rule was always: do not smoke in public.

By personal preference, I like to fire up a cigar when I am seated somewhere comfortable, when I am relaxed and in no rush to get anywhere or do anything (*).

In this context: I was leaving a restaurant in Sydney the other day and had decided to sit on a bench and fire up a Partagas Shorts while waiting for my SO to finish talking Rugby with the restaurant owner.  A pair of lovely ladies walked past and as they did so, one of them made a comment about the smoke.  Being a polite sort of cove, I spoke up and expressed my hope that they didn't find the smoke too offensive.  She said "no, not at all" and that she liked the smell but hadn't smelled a cigar in a long time.  Which kind of made my day.  

(*) Also, I find it hard to walk, smoke and have a drink without spilling something.  I'm a bloke ... multi-tasking isn't my thing.  

• Like 2

I too have to disagree with Zino.  Cigar smoking is a very personal experience.  It should be enjoyed however the smoker sees fit without rules.  Just as one cigar does not fit all palates there should be no one way to enjoy them.  To each their own, walking or otherwise.   

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, MooseAMuffin said:

I am going to disagree on the above recommendation.

Everybody disagrees on the above recommendation. No one took it seriously when it was published. It came from a gentleman who had free access to the best cigars in the world, and made several appearances on French TV where he showed he wasn't exactly a smoker like you and me…

I was a teenager then, but I remember it like it happened yesterday…

• Like 4

Sorry, I agree with the wife.  Similarly to how the French/Italian think we're barbaric for drive through Starbucks as coffee is meant to be enjoyed sitting and relaxing, not behind the wheel of a car.  Cigar smoking is something to be enjoyed and savored.  Can you enjoy a cigar while walking? Yes, but imho you're doing a disservice to the cigar.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SignalJoe said:

I too have to disagree with Zino.  Cigar smoking is a very personal experience.  It should be enjoyed however the smoker sees fit without rules.  Just as one cigar does not fit all palates there should be no one way to enjoy them.  To each their own, walking or otherwise.   

True in principle ... but.

I find it irritating when wind and weather conspire to give me a bad ("wonky") burn.

And I find it downright aggravating when I come across people who begrudge me my pleasure and start making loud comments or the even more infuriating fake coughing noises.  It shits me no end.  And then where is the pleasure?

Smoke em where ya want I say, although I might not as much walking, as probably wouldn't enjoy as much......But did in Cuba. While at the LCDH in Toronto, there were a few guys standing outside, on the sidewalk smoking. Probably should have joined them

How else do you people walk the dog?

I love walking and smoking. Some of my fondest memories are from exploring European cities and countryside's with a cigar in hand
Hell, I once smoked a Hoyo DC while exploring Central Park and it was once of the nicest ways to spend a day that I've ever encountered
Similarly, spent an afternoon in the Hobart Botanical gardens and enjoyed RAG while walking through the foliage

From a pipe smoking point of view (another hobby of mine) not only is having a smoke while going for a walk encouraged, it event has its own term:
Lunting
Lunting is a verb meaning to walk around while smoking a pipe. Tobacco was first brought to Europe by the Spanish in 1528 and the word ‘lunting’ is almost as old, first appearing somewhere around 1540 – 1550. Lunting is what pipe smokers do as a means of stress relief or to relax although it should be remembered that in large quantities tobacco can be hallucinogenic and the exercise will increase respiration rate, heart rate and may speed the absorption of any hallucinogens.

*credit- http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Lunting*

• Like 4

ZIno was in the business to sell cigars. Sold twice as many to those that only smoked half!

When traveling to cities that do not tolerate smoking of any kind almost anywhere (Toronto example), about the only way you can have a smoke is on a walkabout. I generally don't prefer to smoke while having a walk as it's difficult to truly pay attention to the cigar.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PapaDisco said:

I do the same, although Zino sez no: 

In 1967 Zino Davidoff outlined cigar etiquette for smokers in his noted essay for connoisseurs. It is a charter and code for cigar smokers everywhere, and it remains as valid today as when he first wrote it. Among his directives were the following do’s and don’ts.

I have Zino's book.

When I discovered that he did not even deign to acknowledge the existence of robustos as a vitola, I began to treat him with a healthy degree of scepticism.

Alex -- this post brought to you through a plume of RASS.  

Probably half the cigars I smoke are smoked while walking along the Brisbane river at night.  I live in a tiny apartment, so it's good to get out and about.  By the time I end up doing it there aren't too many people about, and I let it go out while I walk through busy areas like Portside.  

Sure the burn can go wonky at times and you might miss some of the more subtle nuances, but I typically get more enjoyment out of the cigar taking this approach than staying at home with the same stick.  I'll always leave the more expensive sticks at home mind you.

7 hours ago, planetary said:

Well, @stogieluver, I'm a social policy liberal (for the most part) and indeed I wouldn't think to smoke cigars in a family neighborhood while walking.  Not for the reasons you're thinking of, though, but instead out of respect of social norms in my area, on two fronts.  First, the aroma isn't generally appealing to others, and it tends to travel a fair bit.  Second, I don't think aggravating our neighbors and fellow citizens does us (as an interest group) any good whatsoever.  I would rather win the long game, in a gentlemanly fashion, than make people angry just because I can.

interesting observations re "the aroma isn't generally appealing to others" as i can only think of one occasion were i had a negative reaction but still smile thinking about the amount of people of all walks of life who stop to comment in a positive manner  or ask questions re the type of cigar eg you made my day haven't enjoyed that smell in years or  dont generally like the smell of cigars but just been loving that smell or that looks so relaxing  ect 

10 hours ago, Akela3rd said:

I usually smoke a Monte 5, Divinos or HUHC on my way to Cub Scouts on a Wednesday evening but this week I had a RGPC, got through half of it and finished it on the walk home.

My wife for some reason this week objected to the fact that I had walked and smoked a cigar, despite the fact that I do this quite regularly. It's OK at home but no-one smokes a cigar walking in the street, she said. Only people smoking roll-ups smoke in the street. That's not how you should smoke a cigar.

I've clearly been doing this wrong for some time now, so where is it right or wrong to smoke a cigar I wonder...

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

?

I think it's quite ok as long as you don't accidentally set your woggle on fire.

• Like 1