“If I’m enjoying a cigar and sipping, then I like a

http://whiskyadvocate.com/rocky-patel-says-scotch-is-the-best-cigar-pairing/

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally find whisky too overpowering to accompany a cigar. While I do sometimes pair them together (normally at the end of a night when I may not be in the best position to make a well thought ou

Dear Mr Patel, 1. Scotch is not single malt. 2. Not all single malt is Scottish; regards from Ireland. 3. I have tasted Indian whisky.  It explains a lot. 4. The old dictum that th

A full bodied cigar with a peaty scotch!? No thanks, the other way around for me, I'd much prefer something subtle with a stronger cigar.

• Like 1

Dear Mr Patel,

1. Scotch is not single malt.

2. Not all single malt is Scottish; regards from Ireland.

3. I have tasted Indian whisky.  It explains a lot.

4. The old dictum that there is no debating taste is wrong -- in the whisky and cigar world both, we can and do debate taste.  Endlessly so.  That, in point of fact, is part of its appeal and fascination and joy.  So I would be very happy to sit down with you and discuss your preferences over a cigar or two (like your Edge, BTW), but you will have to forgive me if I prefer a good cask-conditioned real ale, a rum, a calvados, or even a nice cup of chai.

Have a nice day.

• Like 4

Personally, if you consider that high quality reposado tequila can put out flavours like:

Clean aromatic cedar, Vegetal notes, grassiness, honey, fruit, caramel, vanilla, spice etc etc I can hear many yelling "so can whisky!" Hhhm I can agree to some degree, but critically I think the palette of whisky flavours are delivered in a key that screams 'cold weather climate'. It's raw and brooding, whereas reposado tequila delivers its character in a breezy, lush tropical register

In short if your talking about pairing, there is two ways of seeing paring. Something that is wholly different but complementary, or something that is very similar and complementary.

Personally, I think whisky and cigars is a very poor combination. I see the combination as competing for attentions on the palette, where as something like an Arette Gran Class reposado tequila is the spirit equivalent of the a walk in humidor smell. That wonderful lush cedar aromatic smell. Wonderful!!

To me these four images representing rum, tequila, cigars and whisky, really sum up how jarring whisky is as a pairing.

I'm not saying whisky is not enjoyable to have with cigars as a competing flavor on your palette, but to say it is something that delivers in the same register, or flavour profile, is pretty off the mark, in my opinion.

26_cane_farmers.jpg

farm-workers-called-jimadores-cut-the-leaves-off-the-agave-plant-FTXP0F.jpg

ruta-del-tabaco.jpg

C8pcPAJXkAMHt1t.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/3/2017 at 5:01 PM, 99call said:

Personally, if you consider that high quality reposado tequila can put out flavours like:

Clean aromatic cedar, Vegetal notes, grassiness, honey, fruit, caramel, vanilla, spice etc etc I can hear many yelling "so can whisky!" Hhhm I can agree to some degree, but critically I think the palette of whisky flavours are delivered in a key that screams 'cold weather climate'. It's raw and brooding, whereas reposado tequila delivers its character in a breezy, lush tropical register

To my palate, Lowland malts have that tropical profile. Sadly, Littlemill and Rosebank which typify this are both dead distilleries. Bladnoch flies the Lowland flag for me now. 

And if we don't confine ourselves to Scotch whisky, Irish single pot still whiskey also has the green spice note. And Chichibu from Japan gives me green apples and tropical fruits all day. 

Pity that Rocky talks about Paul John when mentioning Indian whisky. He could have said Amrut. Indian whisky is made under similar climatic conditions as rum etc where the angels do not so much take their share as plunder, due to the heat. 

There's something for everyone in whiskydom IMO. 

• Like 1

Personally I don't like his variety of NC cigars except for a couple that cost way more than they are worth. Truth is, I have just about given up on NCs except for a very few Padrons now and then. I find that I can enjoy a 50.00 per bottle burbon easier than a 50.00 per bottle scotch. I enjoy both when I get into the 100.00 + bottle range with a great cigar. The rise in burbon popularity has made finding good bottles more and more difficult. OTOH there are many good scotches readily available in my area if one is willing to pony up the cash. Taste preferences are so personal that there is no right or wrong answer to what you "should" drink with your favorite cigar. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SirVantes said:

To my palate, Lowland malts have that tropical profile. Sadly, Littlemill and Rosebank which typify this are both dead distilleries. Bladnoch flies the Lowland flag for me now. 

And if we don't confine ourselves to Scotch whisky, Irish single pot still whiskey also has the green spice note. And Chichibu from Japan gives me green apples and tropical fruits all day. 

Pity that Rocky talks about Paul John when mentioning Indian whisky. He could have said Amrut. Indian whisky is made under similar climatic conditions as rum etc where the angels do no so much as take their share as plunder, due to the heat. 

There's something for everyone in whiskydom IMO. 

Hmmm I take all your points on board, and will look forward to trying to find and experience some of the unusual bottles you've named. 

I still however think its a pairing is more down to people wanting them to go together, as opposed to them actually being in step, but thats just my opinion

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 99call said:

Hmmm I take all your points on board, and will look forward to trying to find and experience some of the unusual bottles you've named. 

I still however think its a pairing is more down to people wanting them to go together, as opposed to them actually being in step, but thats just my opinion

True that. I'm a whisky whore, but I'll admit that if I'm to give a great cigar its due, I drink good ol H2O!

• Like 2

I can wholly agree with the article on one element and that is, a single cube.

While I enjoy cigars, a tipple and sometime both, I find myself "pairing" less and less, if at all, these days.

My opportunity to light up a stogie is often at a whim or at a moment of leisure (i.e. vacation, fishing... etc); in all actuality, my first humidor was established ad hoc, in order to avoid making special arrangements, as in having to go to the local B&M, to enjoy a good cigar!

Please, do not infer that I am suggesting one cannot experience enjoyable nuances of selecting a drink to accompany or even to enhance the smoking experience, it is simply not my forte.

For me Japanese whiskies work the best pairing with cigars.  They are more fruity, smooth, and less peaty.  I would drink those all day long with cigars no problem!  To name a few, any Yamazaki, Nikka Cofey malt, Hibiki, any Chichibu/Ichiros are some of the finest Japanese whiskies!!

• Like 2

I find several Chinese teas go very well with Cuban cigars,brew them strong and go for it.....

scotch is too overpowering for me.

• Like 1

It all depends.

I like scotch, bourbon, and beer (usually not all thrown together & drunk at the same ! )  I'm starting to get into rums.

I also enjoy drinking coffee with some cigars and even cola type soft drinks with some strong NCs. (I might smoke NCs about 20% of the time. Mostly, but not always, from small boutique blenders.)

What I personally prefer to pair with a cigar depends on the type of cigar and my mood.

Recently, I shared some cigars with a couple of relatives. The sticks happened to be NCs and I'd rested them for 6 months. They had hit their sweet spot . . . literally. Not super complex but a nice hay & honey taste. As I enjoyed the cigar, I asked one of the relatives if he liked it and what he thought of the dark honey element of its taste. He couldn't pick that out. He was drinking a scotch with the cigar, and it overpowered the stick.

• Like 1