Blind Tasting Reviews Cigar Number 5 : FOH INT 2017 Blind Tasting Comp

Okay everyone we are on the final run home and I am looking forward to your guesses what Cigar number 5 is :D

For those who have smoked their tasting cigar or will be soon this is the thread to place your thoughts about what you think the flavour profile is and how it smoked ...... PLEASE DO NOT DISCLOSE WHAT YOU THINK IT IS .. just email Lisa   [email protected]

Once we have everyone's responses we will reveal the cigar.

The final date for your result is Monday 7th August

Happy Smoking 

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, First Lady said:

Hello Gentleman and Ladies

Everyone is very quite on this last cigar as no one has posted their thoughts and I have only had a couple of people email me ....  only one and a bit weeks left everyone ;)

Lisa

even though you didn't help me at all this last pick, I still think you're lovely

• Like 2

I second the above. However, I smoked this cigar today, and enjoyed it. Stopwatch, double corona. Time elapsed, 13 holes of golf. 3 double bogeys, two birdies, an eagle, a bogey, and six pars. I play golf the way I live...erratically and with aplomb.  But I digress, before a sudden downpour ruined the nub, it was a lovely, light bodied smoke that I quite enjoyed. I don't think I've ever had one before, and am looking for the reveal so I can pick up a box. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, First Lady said:

Hello Gentleman and Ladies

Everyone is very quite on this last cigar as no one has posted their thoughts and I have only had a couple of people email me ....  only one and a bit weeks left everyone ;)

Lisa

I just keep looking at it and shaking my head.... It's a big cigar.  I have to commit 3hrs to it AND three hours to one of each of the same size in my inventory to help me figure what it is.   Of course with #2 and #3 if I'd just gone with my gut at first sight....  Sigh....

I'll practice this weekend. 

• Like 1

I'll be honest, I've tossed the bat and run home crying. I'm 0-4 and can't stomach 0-5.... this will put me on the level of a Blues player in state of Origin. Actually, I am on the level of a Blues player! My name is Mitchell Pearce. I'll be smoking mine this weekend.

This cigar was delicious. Not a lot of smoke output in the first half, but what there was was really good. Light-medium body, nice balance of salt and sweet tobacco flavor, a but of twang, reminded me of a lovely bag of salted peanuts.

I've got a guess as to what it was, but it's probably wrong.

Last night I smoked #5 and found it somewhat disappointing.  Construction was excellent, draw was good, burn was perfect.  It definitely performed well.  The first third was very light in body with a low volume of smoke.  The middle third picked up a little in body and smoke production.  By the final third the body was a touch below medium with decent volume of smoke.  However, the flavors were muted and undefined throughout.  With a few more years of rest this stick might have developed into something much better, but at this point in time it was 2 hours and 15 minutes of "meh".  

• Like 1

Interesting cigar.  Wrapper was perfect, draw was excellent. Started out sweet and creamy coffee; moved to earthy, leathery, with hints of darker sweetness in the middle third; finished kinda twangy.  I'm just going to put the names of all the cigars this size in a hat and draw one out...been 0/5 before, likely be 0/5 again...

• Like 1

This was one of the best cigars of the tasting for me.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The construction and burn were great.  The wrapper was on the rough side but not bad.  No more than medium. Got a little bit of the sweetness others mentioned but mostly leather and lightly toasted tobacco.  Hello 0-5.

I smoked this one on Sunday night and absolutely loved it.  At just under 2.5 hours, it took a long walk to get through it all, and I was still a little sad when it was all over.  The draw was perfect, and the cigar opened with cream and spice.  That creaminess dropped about halfway through the first third, replace with a sugary sweetness.  Throughout the second third there was a development of leather and cedar, but that spicy sweetness was ever present.  The final third was just a continuation of the second third.  The cigar did need a few relights after it passed the halfway point, but apart from that there were no issues.  I'm looking forward to the reveal.

94122a22bffa7b7b49d41296aa131d74.jpg

Smoking number 5 tonight with a ginger ale. Burn is great, draw is perfect. Flavors are a light cocoa with a fruitiness and slightly salty and creamy. Honestly I have no idea what this is but I'll make my guess later. I have been very impressed with all the cigars in this blind tasting and this one isn't disappointing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Box press, toothy Colorado wrapper with a slightly fruity smell.

The draw is excellent with a slight hint of leather to the pre-light.

Initial draws have hints of leather.

1st 3rd

Medium body with flavours of tobacco, leather and cream. Towards the end there are some hints of citrus.

2nd 3rd

This cigar is extremely smooth, but has had no real progression in the flavours yet with tobacco, leather and cream still dominant. Some shortbread and milk chocolate notes join the fray towards the end of this third.

Last 3rd

Not much change in the flavours, but the cigar remains extremely smooth and balanced.

I really enjoyed this cigar. It provided an extremely relaxing hour and a half of pleasurable escapism.

Just never seem to have time to smoke a Double Corona anymore.  So I decided to break this up into 4ths..  

Double Corona (1st Pic) Started out mild with a nice toasted tobacco, baking spice and a touch of cream.  Not a big fan of mild cigars but this one had plenty of smoke output and construction was great.  

Churchill (pic 2)--Stil mild-medium but enjoyable same tastes as above.  Nothing revolutionary but a good smoke.  

Robusto (3rd pic)-Picks up a bit and adds some light coffee to the cream and spice. Smooth.  If I smoked cigars all day long this would be my choice for apost breakfast smoke.  Kind of reminiscent of a weak Latte with a touch of cinnamon/nutmeg on top of the foam.  Enjoyable.  

Petit Robo (Last pic)--Had to go mow the grass. Picked up a bit to medium and got a little bitter and showed some rough edges toward the end.  No matter it was enjoyable.  

Around 2.5 hours of good solid cigar.  I don't think I would buy these, but would like to have a few in the humidor.  Time to send in a guess.  I have a fair amount of experience with one certain D.C. and I don't think this is it.  However, I am confident enough in my terrible blind tasting abilities to say I wouldn't be surprised!  

This has been fun as usual.  Thanks FOH crew for putting in the work.  Good luck to those still in the race.  Would be great to see a 4/5.  

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

• Like 1

Working on No5 now....  No ideas at all.  Its better than most large smokes I've had lately.  And I've found that setting em down and walking away for a few hours really makes a huge difference.  Might be time to give that technique a try...

image.jpeg

Finally got through this brute. Smooth and burned very well. Had mostly coffee notes and would be great for a long tailgate this fall. I have no idea what it is, I know I'll be in for next year's competition without a doubt. This has been fun.