FB cigar groups selling vintage cohibas

Edward Hunter

I am aware that Cuban cigars are being faked and one of the most faked Cuban is the Cohiba. But in groups that are supposed to be knowledgeable and supportive I am increasingly seeing sales of alleged vintage Cohibas by private individuals who in some cases have dozens of these vintage Cohibas that can't be found anywhere else. Am I the only one that sees something wrong and why are so many people continuing to allow this activity to go unchecked in these unsuspecting groups?

• Like 1

Facebook cigar groups, in general, are full of scumbags, gougers, flippers, profiteers, fakes and thieves. Not all groups, and certainly not all people, but be VERY careful and know your shit going in.

• Like 4

"Am I the only one that sees something wrong "

Yes.......the rest of us ignore these gonniffs............:whip:

"why are so many people continuing to allow this activity to go unchecked ? "

well what do you suggest we do? Hang 'em? hunt them down and impugn their manhood ?

Send then to a penal colony like Australia?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I run an fb group for UK only members. Most important rule we have is no selling cigars. Works a charm!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My take on buying vintage cohiba or other rare cigars (like the millennium jars, davidoff etc) is to buy from people who are somewhat known in the cigar community in the country you live in. People who have personal friends there are not likely to put their reputation on the line and risk friendships in said community for a couple of hundred dollars.

Regarding the question about people who have these rare cigars that are hard, or even impossible to find as a sole reason to be suspicious I have to agree that it’s reason in itself to check extra carefully.

But I also disagree at the same time because I’m most certain that there are many people who actually have these rare cigars and “want” to sell them for several reasons. Maybe it’s purely financial, the wife is forcing them, or maybe they just lost interest in cigars, or some other reason. Some people rather have the money instead of enjoying these rare sticks.

Personally, if I had a 25box of 93 cohibas that I bought during one of my cigar-psychosis I would probably sell 15-20 now and keep the rest to myself and use the money to buy furniture for my new apartment.

I think far from all people who have these rare sticks are wealthy and have more or less made some financial sacrifices to get them. And maybe they made these sacrifices many years ago when the price wasn’t as high as it is today, when they weren’t as rare as they are now, or when they had more money then they have now. I don’t know. This rambling was just my spontaneous thought when I read this topic.

I will finish my post by quoting shlomo who made a good point.

“Facebook cigar groups, in general, are full of scumbags, gougers, flippers, profiteers, fakes and thieves”.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

The people (a few) selling these ‘08 ‘10 Cohiba are no doubt fake. There is no way plausible that there are 80 boxes of 2008 CoRo or 08 SigIV. Just sitting around at a over seas vendor. Waiting to be had by a guy that is not well known on a few of the popular cigar forums. We tend to find each other rather quickly over the years. I will never buy these vintages unless the guy has a well known online community presence. The people buying these are creating a multi year problem going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/10/2017 at 2:37 PM, Edward Hunter said:

I am aware that Cuban cigars are being faked and one of the most faked Cuban is the Cohiba. But in groups that are supposed to be knowledgeable and supportive I am increasingly seeing sales of alleged vintage Cohibas by private individuals who in some cases have dozens of these vintage Cohibas that can't be found anywhere else. Am I the only one that sees something wrong and why are so many people continuing to allow this activity to go unchecked in these unsuspecting groups?

Dozens of boxes or cigars?

There are def. good groups on FB that run a tight ship and unfortunately groups that really do not give a .... Just use this rule, if things look to good to be true, they most likely are!

So which ones on fb are good and reputable??

So which ones on fb are good and reputable??

Haven't found one yet where there wasn't a scam or shady sale at some point. Buyer beware and do your homework, as always.