Sexy Shelves

jat

I thought this might appeal to those with Winadores.

Spanish Ceder - great stuff if you can find it, particularly in Australia. Then you have to have a design in mind in order to purchase the right lengths, thicknesses, etc of timber AND know somebody who can manufacturer the draws / shelves, if you're no good on the tools or just don’t have the equipment. Daily I would curse those curved wine shelves for the space they took up and how they just don’t work with boxes.

Then I came across these…  

IMG_0557.thumb.jpg.621c3c3401c7b53ee4b84c084834feed.jpg     IMG_0558.thumb.jpg.71a1487bec290f080ae673f2a63c8565.jpg

Black powder coated, 4mm aluminium sheet with 25% voids on a 45 deg off-set pattern…..yeah.

Actually I got a metal fabricator to make these to my design and got them powder-coated.

Inert to the environment, allows air flow, can support up to 4 kg of boxes no problems, nil odour, and black sexy….oh and ready in a week and cheap.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

I am not sure I would use powder coating in this case. I would have to do some more thinking of how the compound would interact with the cigars. Anodizing might be a better choice.

power coating - final product is a thermoplastic skin, inert and non-porous.

Anodising - effectively an aluminium oxide, still chemically reactive (though the kinetics are very slow) and porous (thick coatings)

I'm not planning to put cigars directly on the shelves, that's what old boxes are for. 

Suggest you do the research to make your own mind up.

Be mindful when using high thermally conductive materials in an actively cooled humidor. What can and will happen with active controlled humidors is that they will attract sometimes large doses of free water durning an air exchange. This of course depends on the set point temperature of the humidor and the dew point of the ambient air.

Every controlled humidor maker deals with it, but with a large amount of metal in a humidor you encourage any free water (above the temperature of the humidor dew point) that touches it, to deposit on it. If you have no means of rapid dehydration, this means an accumulation of free water whenever the system is opened and the right conditions exist.

This is not a crack at your shelving, which is cool by the way, just a caveat on using metal in an actively controlled humidor!

Best not to set your temperature set point too low here, not in higher temperature/rH ambients anyway!

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 2