Stopwatch: Robusto

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like we're toward the end of submissions, so here are the (potentially) final stats, with 42 robusto entries.  (Two non-robusto entries were submitted, but not included, for rigor.) The dat

I must say, it's not easy distinguishing a vitola, but thank God for Cuban Cigar Website! Below is a list of current regular production Robustos (50 ring gauge x 124 mm or 4.9 inches approx.), includi

If requested by two fine gents like John and Zane, how can I refuse?  I don't expect to find many correlations, so I think the main finding will be the duration histogram.  Perhaps unsurprisingly, thi

Hell, I'll start it tonight....  Had already set a Picadores aside before El Prez posted, and while not a textbook "robusto" it's pretty damned close.  Zaya poured.  H2O handy.  This is from a 24:24 clearance a few weeks ago that Rob felt might be a bit underfilled.  

Lit it 10:15 PST.   If I'm sober enough when I'm done I'll edit this post.   If  I don't do it tonight I May not remember how long it took me by tomorrow...  :buddies:

image.jpeg

Finished at 11:27.  Smoked through two radio episodes of "Have Gun, Will Travel" and then some.

I'll see what I can scare up in the way of a proper robusto (an extra 1/16" in girth) later this weekend. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3f31d20574278e0fbc1a89885fff36b2.jpeg

Edit:. mods- exclude my "entry" from any draw as it's not a robusto.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, El Presidente said:

pick a Cuban Robusto (no...not a hermoso 4).  

39 minutes ago, BuzzArd said:

and while not a textbook "robusto" it's pretty damned close.

Iam in but I suspect it will be about 45 mins ..let's see?

:rolleyes:   Well I guess I'm out because I'm not a robusto fan, and therefore don't have enough in my stash to be able to participate...today. But I will share that in the past, with the few I have smoked (and since a picture of a Por Larranaga Picadores is included, of which I have smoked before), basically robustos last about 45min. tops for me when I have indulged. That would include Ramon Allones Spec. Selecteds, El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supremes, Bolivar Royal Corona...can't really think of too many more. The Choix Supremes probably lasted about 30min. tops, because it's so light!  If I had to have no other choice in sizes but a robusto, the Ramon Allones Spec. Seleccion would be top choice. Best in retention of flavor, aroma, and not heating up much toward the end to the nub. My 2 cts.

• Like 2

Partagas Serie D 4

Second from 2016 (split under band). 

Artie is a grandfather for the first time and he popped in for a cigar with smithy, Wazza, nate and Myself yesterday. 

Artie was shouting everyone cigars. I really wanted to text all locals to come on in quickly. I have never recommended so many Cohiba IV's and Monte 80ths before :D

The D4 came from my seconds bin. 

Started 3:27pm. Finished 5.17 Pm. 

110 minutes. 

Performed admirably! sweet paprika and sourdough. 

I probably smoked this slower than usual. However 90 minutes for a Robusto would be average for me. 

D41.jpg

D43.jpg

• Like 3

Juan lopez no 2: ELU ABR 14
mid colardo wrapper, little nick half way down. Not pretty but these don't have to be. Work horse robusto imho.

1st third - straight up toasty tobacco
2nd- cream, nuts, butter, toast, charcoal (in a good way).
3rd- more butter, nubbed it

Overall- what you want from a cigar after a bbq dinner with an aussie cab shiraz , complex evolution. Not super classy but tasty. 91 overall.

Offical time: 72 minutes ie 1 hour plus 12 minutes.
Usually im 45-50 on a robusto but this had a great construction (other than the little nick that didnt actually affect the burn). If this cigar was anthropologised it would be the sort of bloke you want on your footy team who gets the job done but isn't in the best & fairest votes but should be! Haha463676764daf62745e938c65c4c1c1b6.jpg2116af530386d9ed900851d7b86b286c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, dicko said:

Offical time: 72 minutes ie 1 hour plus 12 minutes.
Usually im 45-50 on a robusto but this had a great construction (other than the little nick that didnt actually affect the burn). If this cigar was anthropologised it would be the sort of bloke you want on your footy team who gets the job done but isn't in the best & fairest votes but should be! Haha

I think you meant "anthropomorphised". :smartass::P

• Like 2

Here's my stopwatch (58:55) Robusto review:

Wow, what a beautiful wrapper! 

First 3rd:
Tons of dark-roasted coffee notes with pronounced bitterness. Persistent spicy finish.

Middle 3rd:
The noted astringency on first third finally disappears. The dark-roasted coffee continues to dominate its profile and the spices in first third now become distinguishable as green pepper and cloves. 

Final 3rd:
An undesirable nicotine rush just hit me right at the beginning of final third. Coffee notes galore. I patiently kept on waiting for some cocoa notes to no avail. :(

89 points at this stage. Lots of aging is required to tame this powerhouse. I'm certain that this puro will get significantly better with time. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2