Real US CC Import "Limits"

flinthills

Forgive me if this has been discussed before. 

As I read the current US treasury regulations (questions 31 and 32) I understand this to mean there is no limit (number of cigars) that can be brought back as long as they are claimed to be for "personal use." Additionally, any value you declare over $800 will be subject to duty (see bottom of page two / top of page three). I have read several things that mention a 100 cigar limit however, nothing official states a specific quantity limit. 

Am I trying too hard to beat the system here?

I came back from Havana a couple weeks ago.  The only questions I had was whether I had over 100 cigars.  I told him no.  I had cigars packed in my carry on and in my bag - no problems.  

People here will tell you to always ask for receipts and to keep them.  Additionally, there is some limit on customs purchased there but not sure what exactly that limit is.  

In the US more than 100 cigars is considered a commercial quantity. How that is interpreted is subject to inner policies that are not written at the point of entry. Take a look at the seizure list US Customs posts every day so you can see what they are focusing on. The list is 793 pages long and lists it by city. John

4 hours ago, JohnnyO said:

In the US more than 100 cigars is considered a commercial quantity. How that is interpreted is subject to inner policies that are not written at the point of entry. Take a look at the seizure list US Customs posts every day so you can see what they are focusing on. The list is 793 pages long and lists it by city. John

Where is this list located?   I poked around but couldnt find it anywhere.

6 hours ago, JohnnyO said:

I tried googling but couldn't find the list as well, mind sharing the link please?

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:12 AM, Riverstyx said:

Just an FYI for those that may be curious about the new restrictions...this FAQ from the Treasury sums it up pretty well:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_20170616.pdf

After Trump made his announcement.  This came out.  But none of the restrictions take place until it's "published."  So I guess we are still under Obama rules for a while, which is no limit for personal use.

What's interesting is I hear stories about difficulties getting out of Cuba with CC's.  Most people seem to have little or no trouble with American customs bringing CC's into the U.S.

3 hours ago, Customsfan said:

After Trump made his announcement.  This came out.  But none of the restrictions take place until it's "published."  So I guess we are still under Obama rules for a while, which is no limit for personal use.

What's interesting is I hear stories about difficulties getting out of Cuba with CC's.  Most people seem to have little or no trouble with American customs bringing CC's into the U.S.

Agree with you on everything regarding the US part (although I had one minor issue which was resolved on a good note without any problems).  The problem with Cuba is I think some people "bend" the rules or don't follow guidance.  I know when I went through customs, they went through every receipt and matched it up to every box I had....also re-emphasized the rules regarding the "unbanded custom cigars" even though I was within my limit. Other people I herfed with in Havana shared stories of difficulties they had leaving Cuba because they didn't have receipts, etc.  One person was over his limit on unbanded cigars but said he was still waived through with a warning.  

I got stopped on both ends on my last trip to Havana. I got stopped in the airport in Cuba and they checked all my boxes against my Facturas. When I got back to the US I had 200 cigars that I declared for around $2k. I didn't have any problems at all but they did make me pay duty for being over the limit. 

18 hours ago, JohnnyO said:

Yes, were is said list?

For what it's worth, when I came back over the fourth of July I brought back 200 sticks, all with facturas and no customs.  They were split between a checked bag and a carry on.  Cuba gave me no issues whatsoever.  US (Orlando) asked if I had over 100 cigars.

I searched "US Customs Seizure list"

The list produced "forfeiture.gov"

On that page I scrolled down to "Official Notification Publication"

Under that heading I clicked on "US Customs and Border protection (PDF)"

There you will see the list. Somebody do the clicky thingy so that it will be easier for everyone. Barney Rubble

is my internet instructor and we haven't gotten to that part yet. John

• Like 1

I think this is “The list”.

https://www.forfeiture.gov/pdf/CBP/OfficialNotification.pdf

Makes for some fine reading if you have a few hours to kill. Skimming through it yesterday, I couldn’t find any cigars mentioned....just fake Gucci bags and Nikes. And lots of automobiles and firearms. Seems kind of promising to me that they’re focusing on bigger fish than cigars.

Customs at LAX was very lenient. Even the guys that declared over the 100 cigars were just passed through. My guess is the agents didn't feel like counting cigars. The tax on custom cigars isn't worth their time.

I perused the list a bit more. Perhaps a volume ratio is involved, but it appears the fine folks at customs in Jamaica, NY have a taste for CC’s.

I was stopped in Havana twice and had too many customs, I negotiated my way in broken Spanish for having over 50 customs and had to pay duty in US on my 2nd trip, 40 cents per Cigar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Just came through FLL customs. When asked have a number, even if its  slightly over the limit of 100. I was asked if I had cigars and said yes. He asked how many and I replied I really wasn't exactly sure. He looked up and said "more than 200?" (Wife with me). I told him yes probably 300 or so knowing it was more than that. They took me back and unpacked everything from every bag. Counted them out and went to talk to his boss about the duty. Came back ten minutes later and told me to go that it was too much paperwork for such a small amount of duty. I scooped them up and left after repacking for twenty minutes. His comment was "sorry for the delay but we have to do our job". I told him that I felt like it was better to declare if I was over the limit and he said "yes because I would have seized them all if you got caught not declaring". No idea of the validity of that statement. While in secondary screening the agents there had NEVER processed someone for too many cigars.  They didn't even know the correct forms to use for cigars. So I guess no one declares or no one is searched  or they were all four new agents.

In any case I have no idea how they would know as long as you weren't sending off guilty signals. This was my second trip this summer and first trip I had far more cigars and they didn't ask a number at FLL. 

As an aside I had trouble in Havana with my ashtrays. Implied it could be used as a weapon. I offered money, begged, explained they were a lot of money. Was just told "Sorry". Finally my wife chimed in with "they are gifts" and he told us to take them and go. I had two bundles of customs, ten random cigars and a single that Alex had rolled while I was there. Never even batted an eye at those things. 

On 8/2/2017 at 11:01 PM, zlc410 said:

Just came through FLL customs. When asked have a number, even if its  slightly over the limit of 100. I was asked if I had cigars and said yes. He asked how many and I replied I really wasn't exactly sure. He looked up and said "more than 200?" (Wife with me). I told him yes probably 300 or so knowing it was more than that. They took me back and unpacked everything from every bag. Counted them out and went to talk to his boss about the duty. Came back ten minutes later and told me to go that it was too much paperwork for such a small amount of duty. I scooped them up and left after repacking for twenty minutes. His comment was "sorry for the delay but we have to do our job". I told him that I felt like it was better to declare if I was over the limit and he said "yes because I would have seized them all if you got caught not declaring". No idea of the validity of that statement. While in secondary screening the agents there had NEVER processed someone for too many cigars.  They didn't even know the correct forms to use for cigars. So I guess no one declares or no one is searched  or they were all four new agents.

In any case I have no idea how they would know as long as you weren't sending off guilty signals. This was my second trip this summer and first trip I had far more cigars and they didn't ask a number at FLL. 

Coming thru this same airport tomorrow, but I'm not coming from the Island. coming in from Dubai I have over 100. Guess I should declare since it's not over by that much.  

• Like 2