Aged Habanos Investment Return Study

Lots of work. Super analysis. Works for me.  Thank you.  

But...  wife, who s an MBA, is still not buying it...

:(:(:( 

I need something that appeals to my feminine half. 

Given the fact that prices are not normalized or consistent for aged stock, it'd be difficult to come up with a reliable ROR. For example, some are paying $800+ for a box of aged BHK 54, while Monte 520 are going for around $300-$350 the last time I checked. Cool exercise/study nonetheless. It's cool to think you could have made a 200-500% return for holding a box for 5-20 years lest us forget that if you had bought a stock like AAPL or GOOG 5-10 years ago, you'd have made 1,000+% return. 

• Like 1

Interesting study, there is a lot of time invested in this.  Out of curiosity, How many folks out there buy cigars as potential investments with the intent to sit on them for 10 years then look to sell?  I am sure those folks are out there but I don't have the will power!!  I use the logic of the investment argument when I reach deep into the wallet for an expensive cigar but I also know damn well, I will be smoking them and not selling.  I also use the argument with the wife but she knows it's BS.  What's the point to buy and store them if you don't smoke them to enjoy them?  You'd be better off investing in typical things like real estate or stocks to make real money. 

• Like 2

It would be interesting to see the same breakdown in Aus $ terms. With a tax increase of 12.5% (on the weight of the tobacco) every year since 2013, you are guaranteed an increase every year on a private sale.

• Like 1

I actually think the 12% returns are quite good and probably beat the majority of other collectibles.  It also handily beats the S&P 500 annualized return of 8-9%, including reinvested dividends, from 2003/2004 timeframe when the earliest boxes in the study were purchased. 

I think you might be spoiled by your 21% active strategy which is absurdly amazing if the track record is long enough.  More information on that please!  ?

• Like 1

Great stuff. My job is lending money to large junk-rated companies, and my background is accounting, applied math, and statistics so I overthink everything. One of the things I always say about buying a bond vs stocks is bonds have maturities. You don't (necessarily) need to sell them to the next highest bidder to realize a gain. Just buy them for less than they'll eventually be worth. The reason I mention this is I believe the hardest piece to factor in here is always the back end (ie selling them). Not only the frictional cost but the timing/illiquidity of cigars. It's not like selling a house or car or even wine. I don't think I will ever sell any cigar I own. Instead, I tell my wife the reason I buy 100s of cigars a month (despite only smoking dozens) is because I am cheap and smart with money. I have never done the math because I don't need to. Buying/hoarding boxes of cigars seems like a no brainer. Especially with less-supplied parts of the market. I am super cognizant of the time value of money and find having a large inventory of cigars an easy "investment" to fund, even though I won't ever sell any! I figured that was worth mentioning. 

I also agree that your return hurdle with equities seems high but what do I know I'm buying junk bonds at 6%! 

• Like 2

I had estimated the appreciation of top regular production (Cohiba Robustos, for example) at about 10-20% per year (closer to 20% for El Laguito I'd assert) in this thread here:

However, ROI is a different matter entirely. In that same thread I estimated storage costs, transportation and/or shipping costs and auction or sale fees will bring your actual ROI to about 3-5% annually. When inflation is considered, there's very little actual profit to be made. I'd rather smoke them at that point. I'd gladly give up $50 profit to have a box of 10-year old Cohiba Robustos or Esplendidos I've aged myself. 

Now, special production, OTOH, is another matter. As I pointed out in this thread, cigars like Cohiba and Monte ELs, Gran Reservas and certain ERs (such as Edmundo Dantes, La Escepcion) perform much better than the most sought-after regular production. I think an astute investor with resources could do much better than 3-5% if picking some of these cigars which, if you know what to grab, doesn't have to be too difficult. The Dip Bushido and SP Eslavo are two recent examples that anyone who knows CCs well could see have huge investment potential. Of course, all the Gran Reservas have done very well in the secondary market. Cohiba ELs are always gold. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheGipper said:

beat the average return on aged cigars rather easily.  And they do so without the overhead of storage/maintenance costs and risk of loss (beetles, etc).

Main cause for loss: Undisciplined smoking-up.

12 hours ago, TheGipper said:

There is an argument that risk-adjusted returns, i.e. Sharpe Ratio returns may boost Habanos a bit, as stock market drawdowns in value during bear markets may exceed drawdowns in the value of a Habanos portfolio

Main and easy remedy for bear markets - Undisciplined smoking-up.  :lol3:

Very interesting analysis, thanks for taking the time. I personally don't buy for investment purposes, but I do make it a point to be aware of a consistent resale value down the line... you never know if you're gonna need it!

• Like 1

How much would you expect a box to decrease if there were 1-2 sticks missing (cause whats the point of holding unless you try!)?  For sake of argument and to keep numbers easy we will assume a box of 20 sticks with 2 missing so 10%.  I imagine its not just an easy 10% decrease in value, could it be as much as 20% less than a full box that it would fetch on secondary market?  Is there any correlation to missing stick percentage to price when dealing with aged stock?

While I think most of the prices listed in the examples are fine I suspect that the regular guy would have a hard time getting $540 for a box of MC 520 EL. Provenance and clientele are the key, Even though  the big European cigar sales are not counted here, I think that aged sales on this site can command a premium. The average guy with the same stock might not be able to get the same price. I've seen the 520s languish at $400 on cigars sites. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work you've done here. I think, though, that the market is illiquid and  it is difficult for the average person to capitalize  on aged Cuban cigars in general.

• Like 1

Great analysis mate, thanks for sharing.

I have to wonder how the cigar market really breaks down, smoked verses collected and the motivations of the pool majority. I hate the 'collector' market when I view it from the shallow side of what I blame on collectors.

Speculators have always supplied liquidity. Perhaps the collector mindset has actually carried Tabacuba forward for the past decade. If cigars are being hoarded and not smoked, this does bolster my opinion about a general lack of production quality. There is certainly no need to make a great cigar if all the cigars are being bought and many are not being smoked and rated without 'speculator/collector' bias...

Ultimately I don't really care about the value of cigars. A good cigar is priceless... That is the reason why I bought them in the first place, to smoke them, and to profit from the experience and positive effects of enjoying a cigar. Yet when a box of mediocre cigars presses the threshold of 4 figures, even I begin to feel the itch to feed the fiery greed of the speculator and collector.

Good read Gip... -Piggy

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Head83 said:

How much would you expect a box to decrease if there were 1-2 sticks missing (cause whats the point of holding unless you try!)?  For sake of argument and to keep numbers easy we will assume a box of 20 sticks with 2 missing so 10%.  I imagine its not just an easy 10% decrease in value, could it be as much as 20% less than a full box that it would fetch on secondary market?  Is there any correlation to missing stick percentage to price when dealing with aged stock?

Value could potentially decrease quite a bit. Once one cigar is missing value will always be substantially reduced disproportionately to the expected value of the intact box divided by the number of sticks. Depends on the cigar. If it's a very special production or humidor that is less likely to be broken and smoked, less than intact is a big issue. If it's something regular production or even general special production like a EL or ER then probably not as much. 

Basically, if there are sticks missing forget about making any money unless you've got something extremely rare like a partial box of 90s RA Coronas, Boli CE or Party Charlottes or something else from the 1980s or earlier.

5 hours ago, joeypots said:

While I think most of the prices listed in the examples are fine I suspect that the regular guy would have a hard time getting $540 for a box of MC 520 EL. Provenance and clientele are the key, Even though  the big European cigar sales are not counted here, I think that aged sales on this site can command a premium. The average guy with the same stock might not be able to get the same price. I've seen the 520s languish at $400 on cigars sites. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work you've done here. I think, though, that the market is illiquid and  it is difficult for the average person to capitalize  on aged Cuban cigars in general.

Monte 520 is a bit of an outlier as it's not that old and was a 10 box, and not as well-received upon initial release as the Sublimes, for example. I have no idea what the current market price is for them but I recall seeing them sell out at vendors for the high $300s. If you say they've languished at $400, I can't really doubt you but that would seem to be a pretty reasonable figure at this point, and I have heard of prices for these in the $500 range, although I have no confirmation of an actual sale.

And keep in mind that in 2012 all the ELs were much lower priced from HSA than they are now. I believe the Monte 520 was selling for $160-$180 a box at release. So even at $400, that would represent more than a doubling of price in 5 years which outperforms even the best regular production, and the ELs seem to do even better right through the 10 year mark. 

• Like 1

So do you think anyone can get the same prices for aged cigars as an established vendor like our host?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Value could potentially decrease quite a bit. Once one cigar is missing value will always be substantially reduced disproportionately to the expected value of the intact box divided by the number of sticks. Depends on the cigar. If it's a very special production or humidor that is less likely to be broken and smoked, less than intact is a big issue. If it's something regular production or even general special production like a EL or ER then probably not as much. 

Basically, if there are sticks missing forget about making any money unless you've got something extremely rare like a partial box of 90s RA Coronas, Boli CE or Party Charlottes or something else from the 1980s or earlier.

Monte 520 is a bit of an outlier as it's not that old and was a 10 box, and not as well-received upon initial release as the Sublimes, for example. I have no idea what the current market price is for them but I recall seeing them sell out at vendors for the high $300s. If you say they've languished at $400, I can't really doubt you but that would seem to be a pretty reasonable figure at this point, and I have heard of prices for these in the $500 range, although I have no confirmation of an actual sale.

And keep in mind that in 2012 all the ELs were much lower priced from HSA than they are now. I believe the Monte 520 was selling for $160-$180 a box at release. So even at $400, that would represent more than a doubling of price in 5 years which outperforms even the best regular production, and the ELs seem to do even better right through the 10 year mark. 

I think they were released at closer to $220-$250 if I'm not mistaken. 

41 minutes ago, dangolf18 said:

I think they were released at closer to $220-$250 if I'm not mistaken. 

135.50 euros depending on the country (not Cuba).

Nice study. Wish I had it back in 2012. This photo still haunts me for what I didn't buy.

IMG_3373.jpg

12 minutes ago, puromaniac said:

Nice study. Wish I had it back in 2012. This photo still haunts me for what I didn't buy.

IMG_3373.jpg

And you can't smoke them, either. 

BTO 2013 coded CoRos sell for 600.00 a box now and sales were had for 285.00 a box U.S. during that year.... it a depends on what you buy to "invest" in.
Personally nothing I buy is to sell. But if I did I'd be buying REs that had lower price points that need time down and are not smoking well during their youth. Party898Vs, D4s Short Cabs. And nothing Cohiba right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, BarryNY said:

great analysis work on the aged stock...I figure on 10% avg compounded return for aged...

"For the clients of my investment advisor company, we have two core equity strategies that have a long track record of producing annualized returns of 14% (moderate) and 21%"

Wow a long track record with those numbers...not just 2009 to current? What's the name of the firm...Madoff & Co?  LOL.  Would love more info on getting involved with these strategies...

Where do I sign up for either one of these?

So do you think anyone can get the same prices for aged cigars as an established vendor like our host?

Nope. Though some stuff goes high on FB.
  • Like 2