Storing Boxes (Stupid noob ?)

Drpete

Hi Guys,

I tried googling but can not find a concrete answer. I bought a few boxes of cigars that are wrapped (looks like shrink wrapped). Can I just place those in the humidor and leave them? They were stored at the factory that way so I assume it should be good. One of the boxes i bought was the 2016 Opus 22 charity box. It is in a cardboard box and it is also shink wrapped. Hate to bust it all open now, was going to save it for a few years but dont want to ruin anything.

Thanks for the help

Hello Dr. Pete,

You certainly can.

The shrink wrap is technically permeable and will "breath" on some level, albeit very slowly; moreover, you're creating somewhat of a micro-climate where the cigars will respond to moisture changes more slowly so if that's what you want, then you're good to go.

Me personally, I would not keep them wrapped, but this is something that you will get varying opinions on.

I've stored numerous factory wrapped boxes in my humidors over the years, to no ill effect.

Most times I run a small slit on either side of the wrap at the seam of the box to help promote a little more air flow.  Don't know if that makes any real difference or not.

FWIW- I've purchased boxes that have been stored in the factory wrap that have been perfect and smoked fantastic.  Some stored as long as 10 years before I purchased.

I would agree with the guys above, to some point. Getting too paranoid with you collection can actually effect your enjoyment of what you're doing.

However, personally I avoid any interaction with materials that break down and 'off gas' around my cigars. This includes all lacqured boxes, plastic, wrapping, cardboard,  etc etc. When you see cigars from the 1950, it's pretty scary to see the state of the cello, it's obviously breaking down. You could argue it's offered some much needed protection, but what damage has it done?