Older couple need advise for cuba travel

ROBT.

Hello to all..we are in our late 60's and would love to be able to travel to Cuba for the first time.. I have been smoking cigars for over 50 years and it would be a dream if I could visit and enjoy smoking  my cigar in Cuba...I have been reading the restrictions set by our government and the 12 categories of general licenses needed to be followed and understood... It sounds so complicated...  Can someone please assist us, so we can have a chance to visit and smoke a real Havana.

thanks for your assistance.

I went to Cuba in November 2016.  It wasn't complicated for an Aussie. And I am over 60.  Just posted some photos in an Album - had a fantastic time.  Smoked so many cigars I think I am "cured" from the inside out.

Aussies can only legally bring in a very limited number of sticks else we have a very hefty tax to pay - the only draw back

Sounds like you are from the US.  There is so much ambiguity from the Trump administration about travel to Cuba, that personally, I would just join one of the established tours.  It's more expensive, but you also get taken to the right places and waste less time looking for/ traveling to those places.  Also, you won't violate any of the Trump administrations rules of travel.

I went on a P2P visa before Trump complicated things, but had such a great time that I started thinking about the next trip right away.  Currently thinking of taking Ninja's cigar tour.  I'm sure there are others.  I'd PM him and ask details.

Hi @jerrybrowne  This is from my experience traveling over the 4th of July:

Currently, it is very easy to travel to Cuba using "People to People" but that may change.  I was asked the nature of my trip upon my return and I stated "people-to-people" and they let you go through.  You can get a travel visa through the airline on your way.  That's it, it's that simple for now...right now.  You're supposed to have an itinerary that shows you had a cultural experience, but in reality it's not necessary right now.  If you really want to be official, read this: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_new.pdf.

However, it may change very soon.  Trump announced there will be changes a couple months ago, but what those changes are and when they go into effect is unclear.  Here is an official FAQ from the government about it: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_20170616.pdf.  

If you're really worried about doing it yourself, there are travel agents that will make sure you have all of your bases covered.  However, they will be much more expensive.  We used https://acjourneys.com/ and they were great - it was just much more than we would have paid if we did it ourselves.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hurry and book your trip because the door for Americans is closing soon. Trump made his speech June 16. And it may take the Dept of Treasury 3-4 months to get their guidelines straight. Don't delay, it's worth the trip. If you need a recommendation on guides just let me know