Ken Gargett

eggs - in the fridge or not?

to be honest, i had never heard of anyone not putting eggs in the fridge. our family has always done it. then i came across this article which suggests that it is done in the States but not much elsewhere.

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/should-you-refrigerate-eggs?utm_medium=email&utm_source=TT&utm_campaign=Weekend&utm_content=Editorial

do you put your eggs in the fridge (and is that common or not, where you are from, which is...?

and then we have the issue of how long do they last.

http://www.extracrispy.com/food/2071/how-long-do-eggs-last-in-your-fridge?xid=NL_WellDone_07172017&utm_source=extracrispy.com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=well-done&utm_content=20170731

I know I was floored when I visited Portugal for the first time and all the eggs in the grocery stores were kept on the shelves like regular dry goods.  Never got a great answer as to why they weren't refrigerated......

Fuzz   

I put them in the fridge. My grandmother in Malaysia never did, but even with the high temp, they weren't around long enough to spoil. She'd easily go through a dozen eggs in a week.

Cletus   

Yep, I thought it was just a US thing because, I assume, we don't use the metric system.  When we buy huevos in Mexico they are not refrigerated.

BTW, you can tell if an egg is bad by putting it in a bowl of water.  A bad egg will float while a good egg sinks. 

5 minutes ago, Cletus said:

Yep, I thought it was just a US thing because, I assume, we don't use the metric system.  When we buy huevos in Mexico they are not refrigerated.

BTW, you can tell if an egg is bad by putting it in a bowl of water.  A bad egg will float while a good egg sinks. 

now you've outed yourself as someone who did not read the 2nd post!

i guess because i don't ever remember buying eggs when travelling outside oz, i had never noticed it before but i know no here who does not have eggs in the fridge. my sister has chooks and occasionally gives me eggs. she will warn me if they have been out of the fridge even if only for an hour.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i guess because i don't ever remember buying eggs when travelling outside oz, i had never noticed it before but i know no here who does not have eggs in the fridge. my sister has chooks and occasionally gives me eggs. she will warn me if they have been out of the fridge even if only for an hour.

sorry - 2nd link, not post.

Hayden   

Both is actually the correct answer. In countries where eggs are required to be washed before sale they need to be refrigerated. In countries where eggs are required to be unwashed before sale they do not need to be refrigerated. See this NPR article : http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/11/336330502/why-the-u-s-chills-its-eggs-and-most-of-the-world-doesnt

• Like 1

Cletus   
10 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

Guilty as charged!

I blame the gin and tonics.

Farm eggs = no
Store eggs = yes

There's some kind of protective barrier that gets removed when eggshells are washed. Once that happens, they need to be refrigerated.

MIKA27   

I refrigerate eggs at home though when living in Europe, we got our eggs from my grand parents farm. Chicken, goose, duck eggs.

Buying from the store, normally also give you a use by date. If I don't see a use by date stamped, I move onto a carton that does.

99call   

I don't know about the rights and wrongs of fridge v non fridge, but when I worked in the Antarctic we had oiled eggs (kept in the fridge). It turned my stomach every time, but they always past the 'don't float' test, and they tasted fine. and thats after 7mths!?. There was no visible difference in the oiling. I'm surprised it's not common practise.

Auspaul   
2 hours ago, Shaunster said:

Eggs in UK supermarkets are not chilled, normally pick them up next to the sugar and flour.

I was shocked in the UK you go to a market and buy meat that's not refrigerated when I got back to the car I  asked where is there esky and ice  apparently its cold enough you don't need one. Cold meat pies and sausage rolls is something that is really wrong

• Like 1