New forum design

Fugu

While I find that new forum design a bit chintzy, that's probably just me and different strokes...

But what I am missing now is the function leading you directly to the first unread post by just clicking onto a topic title. Jason @refresh had that reinstalled after that had been lost first time after moving the forum to the new hosting. Would be great if that could be brought back again! Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was just looking to see if anyone had posted about this.  Yes, I miss the feature taking you to the first unread post as well.  Would be great to have that restored, as I believe that's key to how many of us browse the forum.

... why do I just feel odd when some has 'reacted to your post?' -LOL I am thinking I caused someone to have a stroke or something!!!

The scroll function is still very slow and my screen goes blank with only the background picture. Typing is strange as well as sometimes I type away and it just suddenly appears... spelling errors included!!! -LOL

Those are my nitpicks. I hate waiting on scrolling and typing so it is annoying. I understand that computers and IT are what they are...

Thanks for keeping it going... -Cheers! -Piggy

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, PigFish said:

... why do I just feel odd when some has 'reacted to your post?' -LOL I am thinking I caused someone to have a stroke or something!!!

The scroll function is still very slow and my screen goes blank with only the background picture. Typing is strange as well as sometimes I type away and it just suddenly appears... spelling errors included!!! -LOL

Those are my nitpicks. I hate waiting on scrolling and typing so it is annoying. I understand that computers and IT are what they are...

I wasnt sure if it was just me but scrolling is painfully slow now.  Maybe this was a way to slow down people trying to see all the 24:24 postings faster...hmmmmm

2 hours ago, PigFish said:

What platform are you using? PC and Android seem to be working.

IPad is extremely painful to use at the moment. 

My desk consists of several computers. What I use for email and most of my 'desk work' is a Mac Mini (what I am using now). I will light up one of my PCs (via a KVM switch) and check it out. Thanks for the update. I use PC's a lot in the shop and for CAD work, but don't do a lot of FoH (work) while on those machines.

Cheers! -R

... same mouse, keyboard and monitor, i5 PC now.

The site does work better in IE than on Safari (PC vs. Mac)

I often let my Mac run for weeks without a restart. I will bop back to that platform and restart and see if there are residuals that are hampering my Mac.

Good observation James! -R

20 minutes ago, TheLiquidGator said:

Works fine on all my Macs when am using Firefox. Lags and goes wonky when am using Safari.

Same here - Macs and firefox (my usual browser), no issue. Using safari now to test and get the lag and scrolling issues.

1 hour ago, PigFish said:

It is Apple oriented. Typing is slow and the background picture flashes full screen while the thread window disappears! Strange.

Yes, this mirrors my current experience on my Macbook.

On Safari on iPad, I'm finding the site almost completely unusable. Delays on everything from picture loading, scrolling, to text inputting. As Safari is the standard browser on Mac, is this likely to be an ongoing issue? Don't really want to have to start downloading other browsers.

9 minutes ago, refresh said:

That leads me to think it's the background-loading Javascript tripping up the site somewhere. As mentioned, Ryan's been informed and if he can fix it, he will.

I did try turning Java on in the browser and giving permission to FoH with no change in performance.

I am not an expert on these matters but I know that Safari blocks Java without permission. My Java preferences were off.

49 minutes ago, refresh said:

We don't use Java. Javascript is a bog-standard thing on all sites and isn't related to Java.

Scroll speed doesn't affect editing a reply, which is painfully slow at times in Safari.

... I told you I know nothing of these matters!

Just trying to help! On the other hand, you don't want to be on my bad side, just ask Tabacuba!!! -LOL

Cheers! -Ray

On 23.8.2017 at 2:27 PM, refresh said:

The design isn't new, we've just updated to the latest security-patched version of the Invision software. If anything's changed, it's on them, not us. We're just trying to keep the bad guys at bay.

That came with an unexpected serving of "enjoy your broken theme!", which we're dealing with and have most of it back up and running.

Some of the plugins may still be broken or no longer supported - I'll deal with that as we figure it all out.

Thanks, mate. I realise, it seems there's a lot more they screwed up. Douchebags - to link a security update with a loss of theme and functionality. But perhaps well-intentioned, just making sure that you guys are not running out of work... haha.