Wooden Desktop Humidors

metro_habanos

Hello all, I have been scouring our forum for those how have desktop humidors and all I can find are the large type made of tupper-dor, contain-idor, and cooler-dors. Does anyone use a classic desktop humi that can hold between 50 - 200 sticks? I would like to have mine out in a box that is easy to access than get into my smoke now container. If so, was it an online purchase and if so where did you get it. I have been researching them and there are a ton of them out there but, I am looking for the best made, solid wood cedar. Not pressboard cheap crap. I appreciate all of you for your help. If there is a thread for this, please point me to it.

Thank you.

Tim

Ebay. Diamond Crown by Barton and Reed. Used with some other fellows name on a plate. It's a 125 count box. New they are 350-400. I paid $110 I believe. Great humi holds RH like a champ. I use the stock Diamond Crown humidifier and a couple 65 Bovedas. When the RH drops below 63 I add distilled water. I have never had to change the Bovedas in almost 3 years!

If you're looking for the best made, would you consider contacting a well known furniture craftsman in your area?

I'd be willing to bet that he or she would love to help you out; from experience, I know that it is a joy for a craftsman when they get an opportunity to work with some different projects aside from tables, chairs & vanities.

I made my own from an old solid mahogany bookcase. I am truly rubbish at wood work so it was a Real challenge but on completion is the most beautiful humi I've seen because I did it myself. Holds about 120 smokes and keeps humidity exactly where I want it.

I did hope for a wood finish but had to paint up to his the fillers I had to do.

Give it a shot and do it yourself.

My first desktop humidor came from Cheap Humidors.  It's the stereotypical all wood desktop unit.  These things can vary a lot in the seal, and fortunately this one holds rH very well.  I initially tried the silly green sponge thing, but quickly threw that out and went with Bovedas which last a year or more.

I second the Ebay suggestion. If you are a little patient, there are great deals on various humidors from Diamond Crown, Dunhill, Davidoff and Elie Bleu. I recently purchased an Elie Bleu model on it that I have been extremely pleased with. While it certainly wasn't cheap, I do feel that I got a great "deal" compared to a brand new one at full retail. You can set search alerts to notify you when new items are listed. You could also head into your local B&M and see if they are willing to cut any sort of deal, it seems to me that typically nice humidors are slow moving items for them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi.  I have a Diamond Crown St. James Drake 160 count humidor.

Not cheap - you get what you pay for.  Absolutely gorgeous classy look with phenomenal top of the line construction.

When you close the lid, you actually get a whoosh type sound as the seal is made.  Rock solid holds your RH% once you season it. 

Go for the "one and done" - this is heirloom pass me down quality - don't buy that made in China under $100 crap....