Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial: Stopwatch Corona Gorda Review

This 2014 Epi Especial is one of the last from a Cedar 10 count I picked up a few years ago. Flavorwise the cigars have been very good, but they have been underfilled and lumpy construction wise. This example was no different. Very loose pack for the first half of the cigar, tightening up as I worked my way to the head. Some sweetness on the prelight, very open draw. 

1st Third - Bread dough, some nuts. Burn is all over the place, but the flavors are good. The cigar is already burning hot.

2nd Third - Bread dough continues, some sweetness ebbs in, along with some cinnamon or nutmeg. Towards the end of this third the roll improves and the cigar starts to perform much better.

Final Third - While the draw improved, it was still very open. The spices and sweetness disappear early in this third, the breadyness fades as well. Toasted tobaccos is all that remains as the cigar finally gets hot and bitter. 

Summary - Simialr to the other in the box. Great flavors, but poor construction. I really enjoy this size and marca. I will definitely be looking to stock up again, but at PSP or HQ quality. The construction issues really affected this box. 72 minutes total.

59a42f7bd1083_IMG_59441.thumb.JPG.23375349c96672dab8cacba55cb62479.JPG

59a42fa9708c0_IMG_59481.thumb.JPG.45bc7696ad204185445af93b82766cf0.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheMonk said:

Nice job once again!

On a side note, you do realize PSP or HQ quality doesn't necessarily mean better construction, right?

Thanks!

I do. I actually have a PSP of box of Monte 1 that are all tent pegs. Maybe the most beautiful box of cigars I own, but all are severely overfilled. That being said, I have noticed a higher hit rate with the more selected boxes. I honestly can't remember a single box of Cubans I've smoked through that were all perfect, there are always a few dudes.

2 minutes ago, MrGlass said:

I'm a big fan of the Epicure Especial, but I didn't think it was Corona Gorda?

Haha. I just realized its not. I have some Epicure No. 1s in the Humidor, but grabbed this one accidentally. Once I grabbed it, I guess I just went with it. :blush:

• 10 months later...
On 8/29/2017 at 4:47 AM, jcorona said:

Just curious, what is the box code?

I must have missed this first time around. I am on the road right now, but Ill check tomorrow afternoon when I get home. No cigars left, but I still use the box to store random singles in the front of my Humi. Thanks for the like/refresh @ElJefe!

5 hours ago, jcorona said:

Mine is TOS abr 16, but still needs to age.

Ok. Both La Corona then. Ive had more consistant luck with that factory over the last 2 1/2 to 3 years than any other. I believe the code has recently been switched to LGR, but theyre still cranking out some beautiful cigars.  

• Like 1