Juan Lopez Sellecion 1: Corona Gorda Stopwatch Review

I have become a big fan of Juan Lopez over the last 18-24 months. I hadn't had much exposure to the Marca previous to that point. They are by no means a mild or light cigar. But the black coffee and nuts that I get from them, plus their intensity, lead me to believe they will be great agers. I much prefer the Corona Gorda size to the shorter, fatter Sellecion 2. I also prefer the slightly more subtle/refined flavor I get from this size, I think they will eventually be much more complex. 

Pre light - Surprisingly nothing of note. Tobacco, firm draw.  

1st Third - Black coffee, some nuts on the fringes, toasted tobacco. I worked the foot a bit with the perfecdraw prelight, but the draw is still tighter than I prefer. It takes two or three pulls to get a mouthful of thick smoke. There is a lump around mid point that seems the worst. 

2nd Third - Coffee and nuts continue to mingle with the toasted tobacco core. There is plenty of fresh, vegetal, flavor as well, not quite unpleasent, but in my opinion it doesn't add to the cigars enjoyment. Im hoping this ages away. The cigar is savory and bitter like black coffee, not bitter as in too hot.  

Final Third - Once I worked through the knot about mid way the draw opened right up. Dominance of coffee, nuts and tobacco continues. Some unpleasent bitter, and tarry flavors start to appear towards the end, mixed with the still present vegatal notes, leaves for an unpleasent last few puffs.  

Summary - A strong, full flavor cigar through and through. Not a lot of nuance or development as the smoke progressed, but I'm hoping the strong flavor core present now smooths out with age leaving some nice smooth, flavorful sticks in a decades time. 74 minutes.

59a44257e406e_IMG_59751.thumb.JPG.89e876e4db68bc9d7ba875edd9de7cd9.JPG59a44332d63e4_IMG_59791.thumb.JPG.72efcb760dc115d0059fb7ec1f7e28fc.JPG

• Like 3