Juan Lopez 1: Corona Gorda Stopwatch Review

OPS Mar 16

Pull is a tad looser than I like but hard to complain.

Ah the JL1, this has become one of my go to cigars.  Always good, even with just a year on it.    Starts off woody, with cedar and notes of almonds.  I don't get any citrus until the retrohale.  Such a great cigar, especially at the price point.  Just clean with huge billows of smoke.  

Burn is a tad wonky, but it is to be expected.  Touchup will get it back on track.

1/3 has gone and the strength is increasing a touch.  More body, bit more maltiness coming to the forefront.  Almonds are still there but getting old lemon juice.  Ever let a lemon sit too long but still try to get the juice out?  The youth shows some lack of refinement but hardly a mongrel, just rough edges and a smidge of bitterness even though I dry boxed for a day.  Cereal notes coming through, not quite sweet enough to be honeycomb but perhaps corn Chex.  

Ash is holding strong.  It's a beautiful day in Southern California and the cigar is a perfect pair for the weather.  Retrohale has transitioned to notes of yellow apple and nutmeg.  

Entering the final third and the cigar is really hitting on all cylinders with molasses, coriander and the ever present cedar.  Besides a touch up here or there its been a joy to smoke.  
IMG_1075.thumb.JPG.31673abaff9b449387b9b000a568decc.JPG
IMG_1077.thumb.JPG.876b1e9e54f699d11f47300058704ea8.JPG
IMG_1078.thumb.JPG.60246c45a51f74c58258a8de45f5006f.JPG
  • Like 3