Short term storage of Cohiba Siglo VI?

TomP

Hello,

I have a question about storing Cuban cigars…

But first, I found many online cigar sites and it looks like this one may be the best.
I have been a cigar “dabbler” for 20+ years - willing to spend 15-20$ US on a cigar but not really knowing the Good from the Bad and the Ugly. Prior to the recent Cuban embargo relaxation, I preferred Nicaraguan cigars.

I have recently come into an (I think) amazing windfall…

A friend has a client that needed some political help - they needed to get their remaining family out of Cuba, so this friend of mine had a connection in the U.S Senate, and pulled some strings to get the Cuban family into the U.S.; so long story short - as a thank you gift, this Cuban native presented my friend with a box of Cuban cigars and a bottle of fine bourbon.

Unfortunately, (fortunately for me), my friend has nothing to do with tobacco, so because I was the only one he knew that would be interested in cigars, he GAVE me the box of Cuban cigars. I’ve researched these, and my best guess is that their worth is somewhere between $600 and $1000. They are Cohibas Siglo Vi, 25 in a sealed box, and the date on the bottom of the wooden box is June ’16. With my brief internet research on the various labels and box, coupled with the personal connections, it appears legit.

So, I can’t personally smoke these in the next 6 months, so my question to this forum - what is the best way to store these cigars? I have a TINY humidor - meant to hold half a dozen large cigars at most, intended for traveling with cigars.

I’m not likely going to become a serious cigar aficionado, but i don’t want to waste this opportunity - and I’d like to keep these Cubans for future special occasions. Conversely, I’m open to suggestions that these cigars need to be smoked immediately, in that case I’ll have a party and invite my favorite cigar-smoking friends! Or of course, I'd be willing to sell them...

What’s the recommended method for storing these Cubans for the near future?

thanks
Tom P.

Hello and welcome! Great end to what I'm sure was a long struggle/journey... the Siglo VI is a phenomenal cigar and I believe you will be in for a treat. As for storage, I agree with getting a Tupperware or something similar (airtight). I personally like to keep my Cubans at 65% RH and 65 degrees Fahrenheit. If not possible for you to control the temp, just get some 65% bovedas and store the box in the coolest place in your house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk