Cuban Domestic Air Travel

Corylax18

I am heading to Cuba again in November and will be spending a good portion of the trip outside of Havana. My two day trip out to Pinar Del Rio will be by vehicle, but I would like to explore the vast eastern side of the island. Doing this by car would be great, but I would rather spend my money to save my time.

I know that Cubana and to a lesser extent Aerogaviota operate a regularly scheduled domestic network throughout Cuba. Are there any other airlines with regularly scheduled flights around Cuba? What I don't know is the best way for a Yankee to book tickets on one of these airlines, what the actual security, boarding, flying disembarking process is like. 

The more I travel, the more of an AvGeek I have become. I would really love to fly on an older Antonov or Yak turboprop, just to do it. If I can make that a Functional trip from say Trinidad to Santiago de Cuba or Guantanamo. 

Have any members flown domestically in Cuba? If so do you have any tips or tricks? Any horror stories? 

I remember during my research what I found was even though they show a flight every day for many of those routes they only actually have the flight go to fruition if they have a certain number of tickets sold (which you may not know until the day of)...  So we gave up on our attempt to do any in-country air travel...  Have you gotten over to Trinidad? 

• 4 weeks later...

After quite a bit of research, my plan is buy a paper ticket, with CUC at Jose Marti, probably when my flight from Houston lands. I was surprised at how expensive, and variable the pricing is on Cubana's website. You can search for fairs in USD, EUR, or CAD. I noticed a 20% plus variability between the currencies, so hopefully I have more luck talking to a person in Havana.