Those few and far between

As with others here, it happens to me frequently.

Most recent was a partagas presidente - a real surprise.

First time though, and I'll never forget, was my first siglo 6.  I keep these tucked in back of my humi for those "special" days!

• Like 2

am relatively new to cigars and Cuban cigars, but I jumped in with both feet.  I think there's a certain obsession with 'chasing the dragon' when it comes to Cuban cigars.  The first CC I smoked was a PSD4 at LCdH in Miramar, Habana, Cuba.  The experience alone was enough to hook me on the mystique and provenance of Cuban cigars. The cigar itself, though, was positively decadent.  Full, but smooth.  Toothy, but not with the typical pepper of a Nicaraguan or Dominican blend.  However, I too have found that it's entirely possible to get some that just aren't that great.  The first Punch Punch turned me off to the cigar entirely. If the others taste and draw like the one and only that I sampled, y'all can have it.  I'm good. I have a box of 8-9-8s in the humidor that are just... harsh.  I hope another couple of years in the humi mellows them out by several orders of magnitude.

But, as I sit here typing on a Cuban cigar forum, puffing on a HdM Epi. No. 1 with a good cup of coffee, I might as well be in Cuba.  The flavor, the smells, and the experience keep me hoarding the growing collection that I own for just the right time to smoke one and searching out vitolas that appeal to me, because maybe the next box that I buy will be as good or even better than that first PSD4.

It's kind of a nerdy thing to do, but the next time I visit Cuba, God willing, I'm buying a box of Cohiba Lanceros, R&J Churchills, and if I can find them, a box of Upmann Petit Coronas, the three cigars of the some of the 20th century's cigar smoking icons.  

• Like 3

I remember smoking a Hoyo DC about 16 years ago just as I was getting into Cuban cigars, Sunday afternoon after a busy late summer week watching football. The cigar was creamy smooth, tangy, nuts and full of tobacco taste. It had a pretty good nicotine kick, for me at least, I was used to Avos and Fuentes. I've never looked back and can think of a few mind blowing cigars. They weren't all super double banded jobs, either. Boli Gold Medals, '06 Corona Gigantes, '06 RASS 50 cabs, lots of Cohibas and Monte Cristos. 

• Like 3

Montecristo Petit Edmundo - Blind Pig cigar Divan in HK. First stick was plugged. They actually tried poking it before replacing the entire stick me. The replacement stick was... Just time stopping. Everything stood still. It was just me and The Little Edmundo. Milk chocolate cookies! I shouted to myself. And the best part of the night was at 12:30am past midnight, the cafe (Lilly & Bloom) this Divan was adjacent to sent their waitress over to pass some FREE BUTTER MILK CHOCOLATE COOKIES to the divan patrons. FRESHLY BAKED from their oven. Twas still slightly soft and warm! What a night!! Shoutout to Blind Pig for a wonderful time indeed! The prices are on the high side but we all pay for the service and the excellent selection and care of their cigars.

Davidoff Nicaragua Robustos - Made me stop and stare at whatever I was smoking ... Wow... Just wow... Sadly the next NicRobusto I've had from Davidoff wasn't as time stopping :(

Well aged Partagas SD4 - so creamy! The smoke was dense and chewy and it made me almost want to clench my teeth. What bliss! Sadly again I've smoked dozens of SD4's and never had this moment

J Fuego Connoisseur Originals - This is a 2 dollar stick rolled freehand by Jesus Fuego. It's by no means a time stopper like the rest but... Every single time I light these up and get in my first few puffs... I'll stare at them with a smile... What the f*** how is this... Possible for a 2 dollar stick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I do have those moments when I'm like, I don't want this cigar to end. Had that experience today with a Monte 2012 Limitada. Was driving to work, jazz on the Sirius and early morning wind blowing through the truck window. Just a fantastic few moments. Have experienced that bliss with Cubans as well as non Cubans.

• Like 2

* The Bolivar Belicoso I just ordered from 24:24 last month - aahhhhhh!  :daydream:   From my very beginnings of acquiring Habanas my view was that you could never have too many Bolivars!  And THIS one was the quintessence of bliss this time which it's been hard to find these days! BRAVO!!  :cigar: :thumbsup:

• Like 3

On 09/16/2017 at 11:19 PM, HeadInTheClouds said:

My First Cohiba Robusto, I'll never forget thinking, "man this is as good as it gets" as I savored every puff.

It was a Cohiba S2 that first did it for me.  Since then I've refined the cigars I like by taking note of the ones that drag me off into happy contemplation.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I am just starting the last 3rd of a padron 1926 80th Anniversary and have found that same euphoric feeling. Glad to know they are still out there, waiting to be found!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I personally find that the "cigar nirvana" experience occurs more frequently as my personal stock ages.  Now that I have a number of boxes at the 4-5 year mark, this is now more often than not.  As @JohnS has already said, it is definitely worth the patience!  Last weekend I had another Party D4 from a '13 box that had me in that state of cigar bliss.  If I remember, it was a D4 that started me on this fabulous journey 11 years ago! By the time I have gotten through these boxes, I will have others that will have hit that 3-5 year mark again.

• Like 4

(It's) so true @IanMcLean68. I can't impress upon our fine community enough the virtues of resting Habanos cigars. Of course, which ones is preferential according to individual tastes as we all have certain Habanos cigars which are fantastic even yourhful. (For example, I write this smoking a H.Upmann Connoisseur A and I have no qualms going through a box of San Cristobal de La Habana El Principes young!)

I caught up with Trevor (the founder of Cuban Cigar Website) recently and we had a 2010 Cohiba Robusto. Now, I know this vitola has been very popular this week on 24:24 listings, but if some of you were fortunate to pick up a box, you owe it to yourself to rest some of these from your box/es, despite how good they can be in their youth. I don't think words can do justice to how good this Robusto was aged 7 years!

• Like 4

On 18.9.2017 at 8:10 PM, Toast & Taste said:

I experienced it yesterday with one of the selfsame Secretos mentioned in the OP.
It gave me a boner.

Not sure if you applied it according to the instructions, but good to hear everything is still functional on your side ;)

Those CC did the trick for me (random order):

• Bolivar Expeciales No.2 - ER Alemania 2009
  • RA Especial de Allones - ER Francia 2008
  • Cohiba 1966 EL 2011
  • Monte NO.2 5 years old
  • RA Gigantes 5 years old 
  • Like 2

Love that feeling.  I've experienced it with:

• '13 Bolivar Libertador a local businessperson gave me (I think it was '13, had an LCDH band)

• '07 Diamond Crown Maximus from a Toast Across America Coffin (wrapper was all cracked, still great)

• An over humidified Arturo Fuente Short Story (the Humidor was full and it was pushed against the humidifier) with less than a year of age

• '10 Montecristo EL Grand Edmundo

Just thinking about them makes me want to smoke all day lol

• Like 2

Flavor-wise, I randomly have cigars where the flavors are so apparent / easily discernible that I sit up and take notice. That aside, I can recall one cigar that actually made me forget where I was, all sense of time - '03 Bolivar Corona Gigantes.

But I tend to not put any of these expectations on smoking, as it can sometimes lead to disappointment.

• Like 3