If fresh, in order...

1) Montecristo No.4

2) Rafael Gonzalez Petit Corona 

3) Cohiba Siglo II 

If aged, in order...

1) Cohiba Siglo II 

2) Por Larranaga Petit Corona

3) H.Upmann Petit Corona 

Ironically, I was marvelling at how many Petit Coronas have been deleted in the Punch marca alone in the last ten years, just this morning.

Dammit @JohnS!!! Hahaha!! My aged list is exactly the same :) I would add a '13 BPC box to the aged list that fits in the top 3. I would put it at 1.5--LOL! 

I hardly ever smoke fresh PC's these days apparently. I actually smoke the Secreto fresh. ( I know, I should get my peepee whacked. LOL)

I have zero RGPC's. Seems I need to fix that.  I wish they came up on 24:24 more often.

Outside of the PLPC, aged doesn't have to be super long term. Both my HUPC and Sig II boxes are from '14 and are absolutely smoking the house down.

• Like 1

This thread makes me realize how few PCs (Marevas) I am actually smoking. When longing for a shorter smoke, more often than not I'll grab a Minutos, Perlas, Franciscanos, Reyes and the likes. When in for a longer smoke it usually is larger than a PC, starting off with a Coronas-format (alas just a few genuine Coronas left), over Lonsdales to Churchill and DCs. Quite interesting for me, haven't really been aware of that.

As John is indicating, aging would have a major influence on such a ranking. For me, the most striking example always being the Boli PC. It wouldn't make it on my best-list when fresh/young, but aged ones will easily make it to top ranking.

• Like 2

I have zero RGPC's. Seems I need to fix that.  I wish they came up on 24:24 more often.

HOW did this happen!.....Tell Jen to guard the mail box Timmah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Fugu said:

This thread makes me realize how few PCs (Marevas) I am actually smoking. When longing for a shorter smoke, more often than not I'll grab a Minutos, Perlas, Franciscanos, Reyes and the likes. When in for a longer smoke it usually is larger than a PC, starting off with a Coronas-format (alas just a few genuine Coronas left), over Lonsdales to Churchill and DCs. Quite interesting for me, haven't really been aware of that.

I'm having a similar issue. Marevas are becoming an odd man out vitola for me. I actually have come to dislike the vitola and am finding that I only buy them when a particular Mareva is smoking so well it's the best use of my money. I've been really finding Coronas to be about the smallest vitola I enjoy smoking anymore unless I'm really in the mood for a Minutos which I'm also beginning to find a bit small. Perlas are just about too small for me to go for anymore, which is a shame because Monte 5s can be so good, but the good ones I just curse because I want another two inches on them! And quite honestly, my JLP Petit Cetros smoke so well at $1.50 if I'm going to spend money on a premium stick I like something I can sit back and spend time with and anything smaller than a Coronas just doesn't get it done. 

That being said, I dislike large RG cigars. My favorite vitola of all time was a Franciscos and now that they're gone I'd have to say Laguito No. 2 is my ideal vitola, followed by Long Corona (Coronas Grandes, Cremas). 

If we could get a Coronas with the blend of the RASCC or El Principe, they would probably make up at least 90% of my smoking stock. My dream cigars. I would even settle for Marevas at this point.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zeedubbya said:

HOW did this happen!.....Tell Jen to guard the mail box Timmah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know, right?!?!?! I love the perlas.  How in the hell did I miss RGPC's?!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I've been really finding Coronas to be about the smallest vitola I enjoy smoking anymore unless I'm really in the mood for a Minutos which I'm also beginning to find a bit small. Perlas are just about too small for me to go for anymore, which is a shame because Monte 5s can be so good, but the good ones I just curse because I want another two inches on them! And quite honestly, my JLP Petit Cetros smoke so well at $1.50 if I'm going to spend money on a premium stick I like something I can sit back and spend time with and anything smaller than a Coronas just doesn't get it done. 

True, and I widely share that stance. But Minutos, Perlas & Co really suit a purpose for me. Helping me to restrict my time when longing for a cigar but not really having the time at hand for a full-grown smoke (though these can last me up to a full hour when perfectly made - but I know I am done by then and I can always lay them down earlier without wasting much, so this is much helping my lack in discipline in that regard....:D). BCJ, RASCC, Reyes and RGPs are currently my go-to formats for that purpose, highly satisfying and always delivering. In addition I've only recently expanded my range towards JLP and Quinteros, two marcas I had always been widely ignoring, apart from the odd sample. Mistake! Some solid value there to be found, and as well serving their purpose (excellent outdoor smokes and "walking sticks"), though I haven't been lucky with the Petit Cetros so far.

(Sorry for striding a bit off-topic...) - but, yes, it is a real shame that Ramon Allones is lacking a Coronas, just imagine they'd bring back the 50s-cab...

13 hours ago, Fugu said:

True, and I widely share that stance. But Minutos, Perlas & Co really suit a purpose for me. Helping me to restrict my time when longing for a cigar but not really having the time at hand for a full-grown smoke (though these can last me up to a full hour when perfectly made - but I know I am done by then and I can always lay them down earlier without wasting much, so this is much helping my lack in discipline in that regard....:D). BCJ, RASCC, Reyes and RGPs are currently my go-to formats for that purpose, highly satisfying and always delivering...

I suppose the primary reason for my avoidance of Perlas and Minutos now are the JLPs. I just find them so good that it makes premium cigars that are smaller just pointless to me. I guess if I don't have a budget stick (the JLP Petit Cetros were cut this year) I'd probably be more likely to drift back to the Minutos and Perlas. And I agree--part of the problem is that the particular Minutos and Perlas still left can be very, very good. As I said, that's part of the problem--I too often get frustrated that I want it to last longer, not just that I like a longer cigar in general. I just find when I have a cigar that's performing, Minutos and Perlas just end too soon. 

13 hours ago, Fugu said:

...though I haven't been lucky with the Petit Cetros so far.

I'm surprised to hear that. There is one particular box code that has been floating around that are the worst I've had which is BLE DIC 11. All other codes have been winners for me from 11-15. I also have only ever purchased bundles of 25 and never petacas. I'll have to send you a few hand-picked sticks...;)

How inept must you be as a brand manager to get rid of a JFK icon?  Delete the Upmann Petit Corona??  That's a thing he actually loved!  Meanwhile there are luxury companies (e.g. Montblanc) making up special edition $600 "JFK" pens to sell that he never laid hand to.

My faves:

1.  H Upmann 

2.  Montecristo #4 (the cigar that got me started)

3.  Siglo II

I suspect that with how much I love the PL Encantos, that when I, one day, allow myself a PLPC that those will likely become a thing with me as well . . . :rolleyes:

Currently in the bar at the Sofitel in Saigon enjoying a 2012 Lusi that is spectacular despite it's ill treatment (30,000 air miles over 2 weeks in nothing more than my Siglo cigar sleeve, no ziplock, no boveda, no nothing). :cigar: 

How inept must you be as a brand manager to get rid of a JFK icon?  Delete the Upmann Petit Corona??  That's a thing he actually loved!  Meanwhile there are luxury companies (e.g. Montblanc) making up special edition $600 "JFK" pens to sell that he never laid hand to.
My faves:
1.  H Upmann 
2.  Montecristo #4 (the cigar that got me started)
3.  Siglo II
I suspect that with how much I love the PL Encantos, that when I, one day, allow myself a PLPC that those will likely become a thing with me as well . . . :rolleyes:
Currently in the bar at the Sofitel in Saigon enjoying a 2012 Lusi that is spectacular despite it's ill treatment (30,000 air miles over 2 weeks in nothing more than my Siglo cigar sleeve, no ziplock, no boveda, no nothing). :cigar: 
Minor point but JFK smoked H Upmann Petit Upmann cigars not the PC.
And famously got his hands on 1200 before signing the embargo order in '62. Cheeky bugger.
And shagged Marilyn, allegedly of course.

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

• Like 2

On 20.9.2017 at 9:06 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

I'm surprised to hear that. There is one particular box code that has been floating around that are the worst I've had which is BLE DIC 11. All other codes have been winners for me from 11-15. I also have only ever purchased bundles of 25 and never petacas.

That might be part of the reason perhaps, but I tend to think more along the lines of variability of sticks. Got some 25ers coming of the Cremas (much prefer them over the Petit Cetros atm, but that may indeed be due to my limited smoking experience with them, so will give them another chance with a bundle) and the Cazadores. And it seems Quintero is the real deal for me, the Brevas are gold. Not getting warm with the Favoritos, however.

But I am never regretting a good short smoke - when it's done, it's done. Always better to have a great short shot over a mediocre one, don't you agree? The shorties can't be good enough for me, as they have to put everything they've got into that short time frame.

7 hours ago, Fugu said:

That might be part of the reason perhaps, but I tend to think more along the lines of variability of sticks. Got some 25ers coming of the Cremas (much prefer them over the Petit Cetros atm, but that may indeed be due to my limited smoking experience with them, so will give them another chance with a bundle) and the Cazadores. And it seems Quintero is the real deal for me, the Brevas are gold. Not getting warm with the Favoritos, however.

But I am never regretting a good short smoke - when it's done, it's done. Always better to have a great short shot over a mediocre one, don't you agree? The shorties can't be good enough for me, as they have to put everything they've got into that short time frame.

Hmm. As you may have seen me post elsewhere, I'll go to my grave thinking the Cetros are blended differently and/or use superior tobacco than every other JLP model. I've tried every JLP model except for the Cazadores and they're pretty much all the same--except for the Cetros. Hopefully the bundle of Cetros proves worthy for you.

I'm now intrigued by the Quintero Brevas...I know the Favoritos are never that bad but some here really just can't seem to embrace them. And honestly, at $3/stick they're pushing the premium line with price, although they are Robustos and are a darn good value per gram. I'm also curious about the Petit Quinteros. I just realized I have heard absolutely nothing about them. I have tried the Tubulares, and they are actually quite good, but again, you're looking at $4/stick and I'm with you--If I'm spending $4/stick I'd rather have a premium Minutos or Perlas.

As far as a great short premium cigar over a mediocre one, I personally find the JLP Petit Cetros to regularly score 88-90 for me. And at $1.50 each, I simply cannot spend $5 on a Minutos or Perlas when I've got these aside from the occasional jonesing I get for an El Principe or Monte 5. If the Cetros were more expensive or not as good, I suppose I would be relegated to Minutos and Perlas as a daily frequent smoke. I actually think that the PLP and RGPE are unbelievable values ($2-2.50/stick) and while a bit small might become my regular smokes when the JLP Cetros disappear. I have been very impressed with the RGPE recently in particular. I actually think they're on the whole better than the RAE ABR 14 RGPCs I had earlier this year. 

6 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Hmm. As you may have seen me post elsewhere, I'll go to my grave thinking the Cetros are blended differently and/or use superior tobacco than every other JLP model.

Agree with you on that, certainly a different blend / cigar, though I have yet to find out which one I prefer... :D. Will certainly give them another chance, as your appraisal sounds tempting!

Siglo II, but I don't like paying for them and waiting around for them to come around.

PLPC, Can be outstanding smokes but take time. 

BPC, Like the PLPC but probably approachable younger. I had 3 boxes with light colored wrappers that were potent, to say the least.