Pacific Cigar Vintage Collection

Finally received an aged box of Sancho Panza Belicosos ABR OCT 11 from our hosts thanks to a delay from Hurricane Irma & it had a sticker saying "Pacific Cigar Company Vintage Collection."

I couldn't find much about it searching on this forum or Google.  I assume PCC does or used to hold certain cigars for extra aging before releasing them to the market. Do they still do that?

Any info or details about the collection would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 1

John is correct. I have two or three boxes that were bought from the PCC aged/vintage program. Started back in 2000, if I remember correctly, PCC set aside a percentage of cigars for aging (min 5 yrs, I think) and every May they put out the list of what is being released... plus a nice, hefty premium.

Yep, picked up a few of these across the years.

While the price is dear the quality and comfort of knowing they were well cared for is well worth it.

• Like 1

I've also bought from the PCC Aged program, but always do it through Rob so the sticks get a good look through first.  Has worked out well for me, price seems to be about 2X for something 10 years old or so.  That's about 7% per year appreciation which is fair.

• Like 1

I recently got a box of Punch Sabrosos from Rob that were from this program as well. 

I thought the price on my unicos was pretty fair. 5 years age, the 2 I've sampled have been stellar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Likewise picked up a box of Monte #2's from a recent 24/24 with the sticker. On inspection, from an aroma and wrapper quality perspective, they are not as good as a box of HQ Monte #2's I purchased earlier from Rob. (at least in my humble opinion)

• Like 1

Just got these Edmundos,UTS OCT 11 from a 24/24. It wasn't indicated if they were PCVC or from a locker sale when I ordered them. Question answered by the sticker on the front of the box.  My first box from the program and they look very good. Medium color, I don't know what it's called, a fair amount of sheen, just the slightest  touch of plume:D , and they feel moist. These sticks have been well kept. I'm going to put them away, dry them out a bit, and won't sample until the bands can slide a bit. All in all, not too shabby at all and the price, I think, was very fair.

fullsizeoutput_aed.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_aee.jpeg

• Like 2

(Marketing) Instrument by importers (indeed, not only PCC) to move slow-selling or over-stocked stuff. You are unlikely to find any Behike, CORO or Swinnie under those programs... :whistle:

And if they STILL don't move, they make them Anejados

Or repackage in jars or - as recently seen in Germany with RG Perlas from 2013 - sloppily throw them into 50 cabs without protective paper or a ribbon :rolleyes:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fugu said:

(Marketing) Instrument by importers (indeed, not only PCC) to move slow-selling or over-stocked stuff. You are unlikely to find any Behike, CORO or Swinnie under those programs... :whistle:

I actually just got a box of Coro from this program through our host, beautiful sticks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattb82 said:

I actually just got a box of Coro from this program through our host, beautiful sticks

Well, unlike others, PCC seems to try not to make it too obvious.... :lol3:

1 hour ago, Mattb82 said:

beautiful sticks

That is, of course, not saying anything about quality, just stock that didn't move quick at times of production. E.g. there have been amounts of 2002 MdO3s released to market a few years ago. Excellent sticks, but absolute non-sellers at the beginning of the new millennium. Even regionals or ELs that didn't move could be found under "Aged" or "Vintage" programs. But, true, finding a CORO under that program seems to be the odd one out, as they are usually in high demand. But production volume is high as well.

6 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

or - as recently seen in Germany with RG Perlas from 2013 - sloppily throw them into 50 cabs without protective paper or a ribbon :rolleyes:

True, but the RG Perla cab edition I actually find a rather attractive and reasonable idea, as I had in mind doing the exact same with my petaca stock. The petacas obviously haven't been moving but original release has been stunning (to me), and I like the round format of the petaca sticks (on occasion to be had at attractive pricing in sales). Those cigars have the legs for long-term aging, imho, and the petacas are actually not the best packaging for that. It would indeed be a real shame messing up those sticks. So this 5th-Ave repacking, I think, is only consequent, and in fact comes at a lower price than current production, which actually doesn't appear too unfair.

• Like 2

I find that most if not all who have PCC vintage cigars are happy with them. I wonder if Rob would comment about his experience with the program and the quality of the cigars he's sold and smoked.

2 hours ago, Fugu said:

Well, unlike others, PCC seems to try not to make it too obvious.... :lol3:

That is, of course, not saying anything about quality, just stock that didn't move quick at times of production. E.g. there have been amounts of 2002 MdO3s released to market a few years ago. Excellent sticks, but absolute non-sellers at the beginning of the new millennium. Even regionals or ELs that didn't move could be found under "Aged" or "Vintage" programs. But, true, finding a CORO under that program seems to be the odd one out, as they are usually in high demand. But production volume is high as well.

True, but the RG Perla cab edition I actually find a rather attractive and reasonable idea, as I had in mind doing the exact same with my petaca stock. The petacas obviously haven't been moving but original release has been stunning (to me), and I like the round format of the petaca sticks (on occasion to be had at attractive pricing in sales). Those cigars have the legs for long-term aging, imho, and the petacas are actually not the best packaging for that. It would indeed be a real shame messing up those sticks. So this 5th-Ave repacking, I think, is only consequent, and in fact comes at a lower price than current production, which actually doesn't appear too unfair.

I have a box of RA Celestiales Finos with the PCC Vintage Collection sticker.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2017 at 11:59 AM, joeypots said:

Just got these Edmundos,UTS OCT 11 from a 24/24. It wasn't indicated if they were PCVC or from a locker sale when I ordered them. Question answered by the sticker on the front of the box.  My first box from the program and they look very good. Medium color, I don't know what it's called, a fair amount of sheen, just the slightest  touch of plume:D , and they feel moist. These sticks have been well kept. I'm going to put them away, dry them out a bit, and won't sample until the bands can slide a bit. All in all, not too shabby at all and the price, I think, was very fair.

fullsizeoutput_aed.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_aee.jpeg

An update on this box. I broke my own 30 day acclimatization rule and took a handful of these Edmundos  and dry boxed them for 4 days. I wanted to have a few for my regular Friday afternoon get together. Outstanding, to say the least. Monte Cristo tanginess in spades. Construction is near perfect, not too soft, not too tight. Straight burn and only one relight. I'd buy another from the PCC vintage program based on this box in a heart beat. 

• Like 2