if you have any interest in food at all...

Ken Gargett

just finishing the most fabulous book - "Grape Olive Pig" by Matt Goulding. he is behind the Roads and Kingdoms website. married a girl from barcelona and lived there for many years. he obviously loves the place - was a food writer previously when back in the States.

i think he writes exceptionally well. never pompous, always entertaining and extremely knowledgable and never boring. apparently a mate of bourdain and also jose andres. i just love this book. i defy anyone to read it and not need to be chained down to avoid rushing straight to the airport to fly to spain. you can dip in and out but once i started, could not stop. lots of great tips for places to go. only hiccup for me - he does not include the sherry triangle down near jerez and he does not mention La Venencia, a bar i love in Madrid. otherwise, just brilliant. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Cubadust said:

Nice,this sounds interesting. Is it a coffetable book or something you need to take your time to read? Both works, just curious. 

very well presented and great pics but definitely for reading. terrific writer. just lent it to rob, the acid test for books on spain, and it got a tick.

if you love food, travel, spain and food/travel writing (or any of the above), you'll love it.

On 2017-12-05 at 12:45 AM, Ken Gargett said:

very well presented and great pics but definitely for reading. terrific writer. just lent it to rob, the acid test for books on spain, and it got a tick.

if you love food, travel, spain and food/travel writing (or any of the above), you'll love it.

Thanks! I'm in Barcelona atleast once a year so this is really up my alley.