toofargone

Freezer & Tupperdor project

PigFish   
8 hours ago, madandana said:

Wow! You guys are a lot smarter than me.

... not really. We just play smart on TV...!

-Piggy

• Haha 1

What is that? Your rH is moving? How much is it moving? What does it look like it is steady at? I’m guessing you have active temperature control but not active humidity control by means of both hunidifier and dehumidifier?

I’d say it’s probably water that condensed on coil or what not going back into air. That’s that last kick up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, it's my temp. Im not using the freezer to control humidity, just the temp.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Of course it is...

You have an externally driven system. The system requires a net high temp ambient to require cooling. I cannot see what the scale on the left is in this pic but if it remains your .3C, what is your problem with it? You should not have one (a problem).

Your system is going dormant and that is to be expected.

My systems require about 3F above the set point to function without heating. This is why I use a heater! While my systems are far more complex, humidors are designed to fit an ambient. If your ambient includes temperatures below the set point, you will lose heat, just as you gain it, to match the ambient eventually. As long as you are not finding temps far below your set point to where you lose stability (within your desire to maintain) then you have no problem.

Here again the only issue might be free water trapped in the cooler. As you know, if you defrost a refrigerator or freezer, you don't leave it closed for long periods or it will mildew. You leave the door open to equalize the rH. This should be your only concern here as I see it.

You don't have a problem here, not that I can see, unless you have trapped high rH levels in the box with no means to purge it. I use a dehydrate function for this purpose!

Unless further complexity is required, and you have a real problem, not a theoretical one, don't worry about it. Going forward this all becomes the empirical proving of your design. Fix problems as the come up. Ones that don't materialize, you don't need to worry about. Be mindful and diligent in your observation. It is all you can do for now.

Your biggest worry here (if you have one at all) is the potential for mildew. It may never happen. I just did not want to see you blindsided by it so I warned you about it. Run it, watch it, learn about it, fix it... That is the game.

You are doing just fine!

Cheers! -Ray

Thanks [mention=79]PigFish[/mention] it was sitting in between my setpoints. I juast wasnt expecting it to hold temp so well

Ok, I can see a problem with my setup now. No heating. The ambient in the room is heading below my low setpoint and so is the freezer. I may have to implement some form of heating....

Interesting @PigFish you might have some ideas.... it's 30C/86F here today so it's a good test. But I've noticed the freezer keeps on overshooting with the cooling, and the overshoot is getting bigger and bigger.... it's not a huge deal just curious...

Untitled.thumb.png.e862cab270c5948e5795af02a0e2a8e0.png

PigFish   

Overshoot is a fact of life. You deal with it with logic and with proper circulation, isolation engineering, and in some ways sensor placement.

Welcome to my world mate!!! -LOL You're hooked!

-Piggy

• Like 1

Yes, I'm hooked on cigars and now I'm hooked on keeping them at a constant temp! I suppose a .3C difference isnt that drastic. But I'd like to get it perfect.

PigFish   
5 hours ago, toofargone said:

Yes, I'm hooked on cigars and now I'm hooked on keeping them at a constant temp! I suppose a .3C difference isnt that drastic. But I'd like to get it perfect.

... perfect!

Now you are really in trouble.

I have been looking to apply that word to cigars storage for a very long time!!! -LOL

• Haha 1

I think i'll have to add a few things to this project.

1) Heating - for when the temperature falls below the low setpoint of the freezer using the room temperature sensor
2) Fans - for circulation

That should go a long way to helping keep things stable

PigFish   
12 hours ago, toofargone said:

I think i'll have to add a few things to this project.

1) Heating - for when the temperature falls below the low setpoint of the freezer using the room temperature sensor
2) Fans - for circulation

That should go a long way to helping keep things stable

You don't want to heat based on the outside sensor. The hysteresis will always play a role in the internal conditions. If you heat the inside, based on the outside, you may find both the heater and the cooler running at the same time. To avoid this, you need the inside sensor, or at least a dead zone. The inside temp is what you want to work with, unless you are trying to 'look ahead' of your cooling... then you would use data from both, but never just one!

Adding some fans will help the heat. They create some when running and that might negate the need for heat in your situation.

Cheers! -R

The beauty of the arduino is I can program it to do anything I want. I have complete control over the entire system

I will have to see how the unit behaves in winter, how much it falls below the current low set point (the point at which the cooling turns off in a cooling cycle)

If it dips well below the low set point i'll have to consider heating it to try to maintain temperature stability.

My thoughts at this stage is using the external temperature sensor to allow a cooling or heating cycle. I.e. if the external temp falls below 19.5c (example) then the arduino will allow the heating cycle and disable the cooling cycle. If the temp rises above 19.5 (example) then the heating cycle is disabled and the cooling cycle enabled. This will mean the two cycles can never occur at the same time or if I want for a period after (like the short cycle protection). The actual temperatures will have to be decided after I see some of the logged data.

Any cooling / heating needed would be calculated using the internal temperature sensors.

But like I say, I'll have to add fans and wait for winter to see the data coming out of the system before I decide to do anything.

My aim is for perfection. A system that can heat / cool based on it's internal and external environment.

A little progress today. I sleeved the cables with neon green cable sleeve and properly spaced out the temp sensors throughout the freezer. Now the temps will be more accurate.