Cuban Deep Sea Fishing

Corylax18

I have greatly enjoyed the "Deep Sea" fishing trips I have taken while on family trips to the Yucatan in Mexico. Akumel, a small diving and fishing village about an hour south of Playa del Carmen is one of my favorite places on the planet. Leave the hotel around sunrise, get to the beach, find a boat, haggle a price, load up the bait/beer and head out. Spending the day trolling, drinking beer, and reeling in whatever bites is just about the perfect day to me. In Mexico I've caught Mahi Mahi, Black/Red Snapper, Barracuda, and one Marlin. 

I am looking to book a similar trip this November in Cuba. I will be spending a week in Havana, but I have another week to explore the island. I have read and re read @Ken Gargett's tales of Fly Fishing Las Salinas, and have explored fishing that area myself. I have also looked at Cayo Coco/Cayo Guillermo and the Santiago de Cuba area. I wouldn't be opposed to staying closer to Havana or Pinar del Rio, but I havent heard or seen of anything like this in that area. Heading out from Marina Hemingway for a day chasing big Sailfins would be amazing! I understand that November is peak season for the Mahi Mahi(Dolphin or Wahoo) and I love the fight this species shows.Has anybody fished like this in Cuba? Any tips, tricks, or recommendations are appreciated!