Spearfishing Tonga

Bill Hayes

Just returned from a 7 day free diving spearfishing trip to Tonga with some old dive buddies. Great trip all round. Some nice fish landed. I got my PB job fish at a whopping 11kg and also landed my first wahoo after several frustrating unsuccessful attempts. Highlights were diving around a live volcano and hearing the whales singing all around us. It's very surreal being surrounded by blue and levelling off at about 11 to 18 metres and hearing the whales as you scan the ocean for whatever might be attracted to the flashers. Here's a few photos of the catches. We ate very well with sashimi every night. All the fish were well received by us and the local community. Nothing much better than freshly caught fish and a few beers after a big day on the water.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

• Like 1

On 13/10/2017 at 10:42 PM, westg said:

Magnificent Bill.....I bet you loved the warm water... are they  coral trout ? love the wetty mate :party:

Yep, the red fish are big coral trout. They are great eating. There is also a coronation trout in the third photo. I had to buy a new warm water suit because of my beer gut. It's a Riffe one piece suit and I use a lycra hood.

• 4 weeks later...